←  Twin Turbo

Suby Club

»

Boost probs

buzzda's Photo buzzda 30 Jul 2009

hey all, So yest went for a drive everything working properly, then yest arv gave it a bootful taking off and had no boost till 2nd kicked in. stopped to get petrol then when I started it the check engine light came on and stayed on so took to mech, he checked it on his OBD2 and got a fault code 1241- 2 stage twin turbocharger system (single). Took it for a drive this morning and from take off there's no boost in 1st or 2nd till the 2nd turbo kicks but if already moving and accel at bout 2400rpm (ie 60kph/4th gear) get bout 3-4 psi untill the 2nd kicks. from what I've been able to dig up on similar probs I'm thinking the primary w/gate solenoid. any suggestion?? Cheers, Josh

Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 30 Jul 2009

Awesome, you found a cheap way to convert to single turbo :D

ams's Photo ams 30 Jul 2009

ECU reset and try again.

May just be in limp-d**k mode. If it does it a second time, then worry.

LOL @ walts, yeah not very drivable tho

ECU reset and try again.

May just be in limp-d**k mode. If it does it a second time, then worry.

sorry... forgot to say we did reset it yest arv and came back on almost straight away
no light on atm but still no boost

Fault code 1241? Or codeS (multiple) 12 and 41?

one code- 1241 2 stage twin turbocharger system (single)- thats what his little hand held thingy said and I double checked it against the OBD website and it said the same.

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 30 Jul 2009

I'm 99% sure this would be the valve on your secondary turbo up pipe not closing properly. Therefore pressure does not build up to spool the primary turbo. I had the exact same problem, although i also had an awful rattling noise. Good luck trying to find one cos there very rare and expensive new. Try Got it Rex in melbourne, they used to have one there.

Alex's Photo Alex 30 Jul 2009

^ They're all one and the same between all TT models

I'm 99% sure this would be the valve on your secondary turbo up pipe not closing properly.
Therefore pressure does not build up to spool the primary turbo.
I had the exact same problem, although i also had an awful rattling noise. Good luck trying to find one
cos there very rare and expensive new. Try Got it Rex in melbourne, they used to have one there.

The ECV?? I had that thought too as that could explain the piddly boost when driving. I did also notice a rattly/grindy noise when backing off the throttle today.

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 30 Jul 2009

It wasn't the actual controller that went on mine. The actuall valve itself came loose from it's sleeve and was not sealing for a very long time until it finally gave up and didn't seal at all . A slow leak would mean reduced boost, i gained at least 4 and sometimes 5psi on primary once it was fixed.

Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 30 Jul 2009

I did also notice a rattly/grindy noise when backing off the throttle today.

That would be the shitty flywheel they put in the B4's

It wasn't the actual controller that went on mine. The actuall valve itself came loose from it's sleeve and was not sealing for a very long time until it finally gave up and didn't seal at all .
A slow leak would mean reduced boost, i gained at least 4 and sometimes 5psi on primary once it was fixed.

thanks mate, will look into it

That would be the shitty flywheel they put in the B4's

fair enough... I'll get to that one day... when everything else stops f!#king up.

i gained at least 4 and sometimes 5psi on primary once it was fixed.

Out of interest hawks_ - how did you "fix it"?

Did you replace it?

3genb4's Photo 3genb4 30 Jul 2009

i have a ecv and acuator if you need one make a offer

i have a ecv and acuator if you need one make a offer

sweet, will be in touch if needed. thanks :drinks:

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 31 Jul 2009

Out of interest hawks_ - how did you "fix it"?

Did you replace it?

Just put another up pipe in (second hand so hopefully it doesn't do the same thing), it comes with the valve in it. I'm still using the same ECV though.

Jock's Photo Jock 14 Aug 2009

Same thing happened when i disconnected the adjustable ECV rod, no boost at all until changeover. Could backfire on demand as well.

buzzda's Photo buzzda 27 Aug 2009

update: my mech. had a good look at the problem today and he's thinking its the valve in the up-pipe to 2ndry as he was getting 2-3 psi more off primary when he blocked the up-pipe to 2ndry. On a + note, primary is workin fine (he said up to 20psi when he blocked the wastegate and 2ndry up-pipe and comp didn't have it in limp mode), so thats good.

buzzda's Photo buzzda 07 Sep 2009

Got the ECV replaced today, prob fixed, gettin 16 instead of 4psi @2700rpm (4th) now... and boost from 1800rpm!! forking AWESOME!!! :yahoo: