4 replies to this topic

#1 macawade

macawade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:20 PM

Hi there,

I'm new here and looking for some advice. I'm currently eyeing up a 2015 Manual Forester 2.0D-L S4 and I've heard that people have had DPF troubles with short range driving in the diesel. I live in a coastal town north of Sydney so I'm not doing small distance, city driving but I'm by no means travelling hours at a time, every day. My girlfriend and I will travel to the snow and north about the same distance.

Is this a big enough issue for me to be worried about going through with the purchase? I am aware that you can drop into 3rd to help with burning off emissions. 

Really just looking to hear some opinions about the car!

I'll be selling my 1997 Subaru Impreza so it will be a welcomed upgrade if plausible.

Mac

#2 Exbaru

Exbaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 09:49 AM

I had a 2.0 TD 2015 manual outback. It had done 215000ks when I sold it.
You must drive the thing in a suitable 'environment' frequently to maintain the DPF.
If you don't you're looking for trouble.

I maintained my DPF by driving 140ks a day, half of which was above 100kph. Eventually it was enough for me to sell the vehicle because I was sick and tired of being bound by the DPF. One other thing, the hose on the exit side of the turbo came off in the middle of nowhere giving it the DPF light and only 20% power limping it back to civilisation.
For what it's worth if you're going to constantly do bigger ks it should be ok, for piece of mind just get a petrol.

#3 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:01 PM

I don't have and never have had a Subaru with a diesel engine so take my comments with a grain of salt. Subaru don't really have much of a history of making diesel engines as far as I know but I have heard plenty of Subaru DPF horror stories in the short time they have been producing them.

If you want a diesel engine I would choose from a manufacturer that has a long history of making reliable diesel engines. My daily drive is a Volvo diesel and it is an excellent engine, the car has other problems but thats another story. I drive 15km each way to work each day and only do long trips during snow season and maybe Christmas and never had any DPF issues. I can get almost 1000km from a single tank too.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#4 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:57 PM

One other thing, the hose on the exit side of the turbo came off in the middle of nowhere giving it the DPF light and only 20% power limping it back to civilisation.

We sell heaps of the short rubber hoses from the intercooler to the throttle body and the long hard plastic hose from the turbo to the intercooler also give trouble.

Over $500 for these two hoses plus fitting.

For what its worth, a new DPF is 3.5K.

#5 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:35 PM

If you’re after a diesel I can recommend the Pajero. We have an NP and an NT in the family and they are very capable vehicles - great for touring, great for towing and totally underrated off-road fro what I’ve experienced so far.

The NT gets better fuel economy over the NP because the NT is common rail and the NP is ECU controlled governor. They’re essentially the same block.

I’ve heard that the NS (model between the NP and NT) has known dpf issues. This is why dad has the NT.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users