#1 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

So how do you stop this.

http://www.thewest.c...ContentID=95026

Police are calling for witnesses to a horrific crash last night which claimed the lives of three teenagers in Riverton.

Speed is thought to have played a part in the crash.

The three died when the BMW sedan, believed to be owned by the parents of the 17 year-old boy who was driving, ran off the road, became airborne and hit a tree at the intersection of High Street and Vahland Avenue, Riverton around 9pm.

If you were made police boss (whatever they're called) how would you stop this type of thing happening? Or is it impossible to stop the 'kid steals parents keys' type joyriding?

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#2 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:39 PM

i remember reading new tech coming out which uses GPS to automatically limit the car to the speedlimit (which i think will become mandatory on all new cars). but until then... its fighting a uphill battle
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#3 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

So how do you stop this.
Or is it impossible to stop the 'kid steals parents keys' type joyriding?

I don't think the issue is taking the parents car. That plays a part when its a significantly more powerful vehicle to what the kids use to. But it all comes down to driving standards. And I think the problem is any idiot can get a drivers license these days. They make it far too easy.

Just driving a car your not use to isn't an excuse for wrapping it 'round a tree. You should be able to adapt to driving a variety of cars if your a good enough driver. But the reality is - driving standards aren't high enough. People don't know how to take appropriate evasive action. And people are stupid (why doing 140KP/H with friends in the car?!).

And I really hope those GPS speed limiters don't come into play. Could you imagine trying to change lanes when everyones doing exactly the same speed?

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#4 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:52 PM

yea i dont remember the details shiv but im sure they will think of that haha
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#5 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:52 PM

What about mandatory driver training to even GET your license? And then again say every 5 years? Do you think that'd change their driving behaviour?

#6 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

Teach driver education at SCHOOL! No point teaching people how to use their d**ks if they never get old enough to use the information!
TSM

#7 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

yea i dont remember the details shiv but im sure they will think of that haha

I hope so! Otherwise it'd be like traveling on the first section of the M4 where everyone does the same speed due to a combination of lane hogs and not enough lanes.

What about mandatory driver training to even GET your license? And then again say every 5 years?

Do you think that'd change their driving behaviour?

Well yeah, that would be a good idea. The knowledge of how a car reacts at high speed might prevent morons from doing stupid speeds like this Bimmer-case.

I think the best prevention of it is first hand experience in dealing with the horrible aftermath of such tragedies. But its not like every 17-year old who gets his/her license is going to know someone whose lost their life as a result of something like this...

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#8 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:06 PM

So show them SES video's at school. They can show you a Baby being squeezed out into the big bad world. Why not show someone being squeezed out of a windscreen and out of the world?
TSM

#9 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

Totally agree with Soop. These c**ks need to see the results of their stupidity.

Just Married

#10 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

So show them SES video's at school.

They can show you a Baby being squeezed out into the big bad world.
Why not show someone being squeezed out of a windscreen and out of the world?

i also agree with soop

they do something very similar over here (dunno about anywhere else) now with the fire service. we spend a double lesson with this firey (spelling?) nd he goes through pretty all the consequences with crashing a car but doesnt call us a bunch of hoons like the cops do. they show pictures of cars after some serious car crashes and talks about experiences hes had at accidents that would f*ck someone up for a long time. they also cut up a car with the "jaws of life" which is sweet but they show a real sound clip form an accident where these girls are being cut out of a car and that shocked everyone there.

came away with a kinda fear of every other road user for some reason lol. it actually worked unlike the one the cops run. and dont talk about babies being squeezed out.

cheers

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#11 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

I think one of the biggest problems is most young drivers dont know what to do when they loose control if a car. i know it happened to me, i wasnt doing 140km/h though, i just pulled out of an intersection a bit too fast for the wet road, i was pretty luck though... I recon all new drivers should have to go on a 'skidpan' or somthing similer and loose control of a car, be taught how to contain it. I did a similer thing after my car was fixed, only substituted the 'skidpan' for a large gravel/dirt patch i stumbled across......

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#12 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

I recon all new drivers should have to go on a 'skidpan' or somthing similer and loose control of a car, be taught how to contain it.

...ie. compulsory driver training? (as above)

I think it should be re-sat every few (5) years just to keep people in touch with how a car drives when out of control.

What about some form of biometrics? For example, fingerprinting the driver before the car allows ignition?

#13 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

Cost much? All this new electronic technology being pumped into cars these days. 15years and they'll all be totally f*cked!
TSM

#14 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

The fingerprint scanner itself wouldnt cost that much, it'd mostly be the management system to tie it to the ignition. Cars are only ever going to evolve, the only people who will create dumber cars are americans and australians ;)

#15 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

insert clarkson voice, POOWWERRRRRRR!

#16 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

Taking the responsibility away from Human beings is dangerous. People need the responsibility. Other wise we're unaccountable and reckless.
TSM

#17 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:47 PM

personally id hate to see us become so dependable on tech (god its almost at that stage with home pc's now) that we cant say drive by ourselves without computer aid. (many years in the future i know but still)

#18 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

Haven't you heard of those rediculous cases in the US where criminals break into houses and then sue the owner of the house for getting injured while doing so. These stories _should_ be urban legend but this sh*t actually goes on, giving people power and responsibility can be a dangerous thing... Next thing you know, Mercedes will be sued because their 'auto-lane-stayer-inner' thing failed and they crashed into a barrier or car in front. People are idiots, you cant trust anyone.

#19 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

i remember some tool buying a winnebageo (sp). he was driving along and activated Auto Pilot (which at the time was their cruise control) obviously while doing this he went out the back and made a coffee... until his van ran off the road and all ended in disaster... he made a few mil from that claim but still... wat a noob.

#20 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

I know this is exactly what I'm getting at. If society and the judicial system didn't put up with imbeciles and rewards their stupidity, we wouldn't have the issues we do. It may be mean and harsh. But by looking after people too stupid to do it themselves, we're going against every other law of nature. Just because we can read and write and wipe our own arses doesn't mean that natural selection should be legislated out of existence. Some people/families just cant survive by themselves. I don't mean this in a financial way either. If a lion can't hunt it dies. Make individuals accountable for their own actions.
TSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users