#1 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 01 October 2020 - 12:37 PM

After 7 years of ownership COVID-19 boredom has led me to create a build thread..

Vehicle in question is a MY07 30R specB 6MT in black (not my first colour choice but meh).

I decided I wanted a H6 manual wagon so the hunt led me to take a day trip to Canberra for a look. While I was there, I visited the workshop that maintained the car and discovered the center diff had been replaced and it had been tuned. I did the deal, drove home and flew back a few weeks later to pick it up. In that time the owner was having the gearbox rebuilt due to a faulty 4th gear synchro, so I organised for a new clutch to be fitted while the box was out.

So this is what I have been doing with it since 2013.....

Looked like this when I got it home and I had already removed the roof racks as they look like poo. The factory rims look dark as some type of stripper was used to clean them and it cooked the paint.

day 1

Quickly got sick of the floor mats sliding around so I knocked up some brackets.
floor mat

Replaced the damaged factory rims with...... factory rims! Also chucked on some OEM mudflaps.
mud flaps

Quads were needed, so found some Hi Tech (I think?) mufflers

quads1

Then some CS9 rims

CS9s

Added a strut brace to prove to myself they make no difference on a road going GenIV.....they don't.

strut brace

Not totally happy with the exhaust, some headers were added.
header

I had to expand the inner pipe to the outer pipe so I could weld it to the header flange. PITA job...
dual wall
swage

Left the 3rd cat out as well (I'm not a cat person)

3rd cat

The paint was a bit down when I bought it so I have had the bonnet and front bar resprayed. Too hard to strip the bar cover so I fitted a new one and sold off the old one.
Tailgate and rear spoiler were also recently resprayed.
bar cover

Threw in an Exedy clutch. Supposed to be OEM replacement for 30RB & Sti but it's a little heavier than the one in it when I first drove the car, but a lot lighter than the Canberra fitted clutch.
clutch

Sandblasted then linished the calipers smooth before a prime coat and black paint. Added some 'Subaru' stickers and new seals after the paint was baked.

caliper prime

Also threw on some slotted rotors for extra bling (I doubt they make much of a difference to a road car)
brake

After an annoying timing case oil leak and a tiny coolant sweat at one head gasket I decided to spend a Christmas holiday pulling the engine apart.
long block

While it was out and apart I fitted new head gaskets (copper coated for extra leak protection), replaced stem seals (precaution only as it wasn't blowing smoke) and fitted new timing chains, tensioners and guides.
Threw it all back in with a new MAF (to cure an annoying flat spot) and one VVT solenoid (leaking) and it was back to 7k rpm shifts!
chains

Diff bushes were buggered so threw in a Febst set. I will never use Febst again.... 
diff bush

18 months later I fitted a OEM set, but after the first time I made a tool to make life easier.

bush tool

Upped the tyres with some AD08Rs in a 225/45-18, but after fitting one up I soon realised they were a little too wide for the 18x7 CS9's.
AD008 wide

You can see the difference with the 215/45-18
RE003 narrow

A set of STi 7.5x18 rims quickly fixed the tyre fitment issue!

STi rim

Like most GenIV's the saggy butt happened. I machined a new groove in the rear Bilstens to raise the lower spring mount.
20191211 173948

End result was a 40mm lift. Might drop it 10mm with another groove.
20191211 175737

Last week I treated myself to a new MY08 honeycomb grill.  :D
new grill

Looks better than the MY07 grill IMO. (I knocked up a number plate lifting bracket at some point too) I have some honeycomb mesh to fill in the gaping hole under the grill.
MY07 grill

MY08 grill

Not being a huge fan of turbo Libertys and often dragging this around was the reason I decided on the H6.
Tow

So that's about it to date, I have done other little bits an bobs like replacing the subwoofer, steering wheel switches and some bits of interior trim as well as regular maintenance. At this point I'll think I'll keep it for a while, It's been quite reliable and there is really nothing newer to replace it with.

But I have been looking fondly at RS4 V8 manual wagons......

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#2 crjohnson

crjohnson

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 08:30 AM

Nice car! That's basicalyl everything I want to do (or have done) with mine! 

Is there some restricted permissions going on with your photos? They're tiny and it won't let me view them. 

With the rear struts did you just put them in a lathe and machine the groove? I didnt actually notice the groove when I had mine out but will have a look next time.

Lastly, how does it sound? haha

#3 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:09 PM

Nice Jase. Can understand not wanting a turbo when hauling that bit of enjoyment around! The grille is a much better look than the oem one.
How do the advans go? They look in the region of semi-slick territory.
Why the hate on Febest? Honestly curious. Ive got some lower control arm bushes from them that are doing brilliantly, and a damn sight cheaper than oem.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#4 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 03:47 PM

Nice car! That's basicalyl everything I want to do (or have done) with mine! 
Is there some restricted permissions going on with your photos? They're tiny and it won't let me view them. 

With the rear struts did you just put them in a lathe and machine the groove? I didnt actually notice the groove when I had mine out but will have a look next time.

Lastly, how does it sound? haha

May be something with the settings, I'd need to take a look.

Yep, made a parting tool to suit and machined in a lathe.

Sounds good IMO.

Nice Jase. Can understand not wanting a turbo when hauling that bit of enjoyment around! The grille is a much better look than the oem one.
How do the advans go? They look in the region of semi-slick territory.
Why the hate on Febest? Honestly curious. Ive got some lower control arm bushes from them that are doing brilliantly, and a damn sight cheaper than oem.

Cheers,
Ben

Yeah, really happy with the new look Ben.

They do call them semi slicks, but my experience with semi's is they really just mean a good road tyre. These are a little different as they really do need heat to work at their best. I guess that's why they are not as good in the wet as the Hankook RS3's I had on the GenIII or even the Potenza RE003's I had before the AD08Rs. In the dry they would be at least on par with the others, but I imagine they would be best at a track day.

This is on an overheated set of Toyo T1Rs. I can see why they are classed as a street tyre!
GenIII PI

When I installed the Febst diff bushes I thought they were a little too firm and would just crack with the load of the camper (nothing to do with they way I drive  :ph34r:) combined with a manual trans.
Guess I was right.
The OEM bushes lasted over 10years and 180,000Kms before they cried enough.

These are the Febst ones after less than 18 months. OEM ones in it now are coming up to 12 months and still look new.
Febst bush

I think the outrigger bushes are Febst as well. So far no leaks So I guess they are OK in that application.

#5 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:18 AM

Nice to read about what others are up to, even if it is the whole picture book rather than dribbles as it happens.

Cool trailer, what does that thing weigh when loaded? Curious as we have a road & trak camper that we just bounced all over the Murray Sunset NP behind the Paj.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#6 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:03 PM

Fully loaded it came it at 950kgs.
H6 pulls it OK, but you need to keep it on the boil.

#7 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 04 October 2020 - 04:43 PM

Took your time Jase, haha. Great read mate and to the point. Glad to see it going so well after all these years. I've since handed mine down to my brother about 2.5 years ago now.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#8 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:31 PM

Cheers Gaz.

#9 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2020 - 06:27 PM

Me like, Hoony.

Looks as tidy as I would expect from you.
Now supercharge it.

#10 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:24 PM

Fully loaded it came it at 950kgs.
H6 pulls it OK, but you need to keep it on the boil.

Nice

Bit heavier than I thought it would be! Good effort on the H6s part.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#11 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:04 AM

Me like, Hoony.

Looks as tidy as I would expect from you.
Now supercharge it.

Thanks Kong, good to hear from you! How ya going m8?

Funny you mention supercharging it.

I'm not a big fan of the centrifugal setup so I have started looking if something like this would be feasible, as it would sit in place of the inlet manifold and is intercooled.

I'd only go lowish boost as I'm not sure how it would cope towing.

sc1

sc2

Nice

Bit heavier than I thought it would be! Good effort on the H6s part.

Cheers

Bennie

I was expecting around 750kgs, so I was a bit shocked when I weighed it!

#12 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 01:04 PM

Blower looks good!

It might tow better as the engine will be under less load or under increased load for less time with boost.

Depending on the blower you could get an electronic clutch and use as needed/wanted. Might need two tune maps for boost and no boost... would be good! A mate did this on an EJ22 in his rare MY hatch on factory management - it was dumb enough to run NA and with boost without any issues. Went like a cut snake!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#13 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:05 PM

That blower looks the goods Jase - any ideas on cost? I get you'll likely need a new fuel system to use it properly, but 3 to 4 pound wouldn't impact and require as many mods I wouldn't have thought. And I'd agree with Bennie there too - it might put the engine under higher stress, but for way less time and less often. If a tune is all that is needed, that would be awesome.

Bit of a shame with the bushes, but I guess when put under larger loads like the camper, they were going to fail faster if they were stiffer.

Interesting about the tyres, although I'm a little wary about running something like that as a street tyre, they won't last anywhere near long enough in my eyes. Grip would be great, but value would be rather ordinary. On the flip side of that, I guess if it saves an accident, you've got all the value you need...

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#14 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 07:12 PM

Blower looks good!

It might tow better as the engine will be under less load or under increased load for less time with boost.

Depending on the blower you could get an electronic clutch and use as needed/wanted. Might need two tune maps for boost and no boost... would be good! A mate did this on an EJ22 in his rare MY hatch on factory management - it was dumb enough to run NA and with boost without any issues. Went like a cut snake!

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah, that may well be the case. If I don't ask it to pull at WOT it should be fine. I doubt I'll run a clutch on it as it's another level of complexity plus the cost to develop two custom tunes.

One ECU tuning issue I would need to sort is boost control, as the H6 ECU has no way of driving a boost controller. The Audi setup uses essentially a DBW throttle valve between the two sides of the blower. I'd have to adapt something here as none of the blowers are sold with it as it seems to be worth almost as much as the blower it self. I would probably source a boost controller, then make the bypass valve work with it rather than the other way around.

That blower looks the goods Jase - any ideas on cost? I get you'll likely need a new fuel system to use it properly, but 3 to 4 pound wouldn't impact and require as many mods I wouldn't have thought. And I'd agree with Bennie there too - it might put the engine under higher stress, but for way less time and less often. If a tune is all that is needed, that would be awesome.

Bit of a shame with the bushes, but I guess when put under larger loads like the camper, they were going to fail faster if they were stiffer.

Interesting about the tyres, although I'm a little wary about running something like that as a street tyre, they won't last anywhere near long enough in my eyes. Grip would be great, but value would be rather ordinary. On the flip side of that, I guess if it saves an accident, you've got all the value you need...

It looks like it could be either side of $1k. There are two on eBay ATM, so I have messaged the owner of those pics and asked him to provide some basic measurements as a start. I hope he can translate English, as my Lithuanian is not what it used to be!!

I have no idea how much scope is left in the original fuel setup, but I'm hoping that with roughly 6psi max, it would require only minimal upgrades. So far it appears a H6 with stock internals is good to about 6psi, above that you need to close the deck and start adding more parts as the boost goes up.

The hardest part I think will be the need to remount the Alt, A/C and P/S as they are all in a row right where the blower goes.

Yeah, as soon as I saw those bushes I didn't think they would last!

I won't be getting the AD08Rs again, they are an excellent tyre, just not suited to what I need. I would get the Hankook RS3s again, but I would need to drop to a 40 aspect ratio.

#15 bigBADbenny

bigBADbenny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Family Photography Cars Bicycling

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:32 AM

Great post!
Id also love more info on the rear shock perch mod, or detail pics
Currently googling what a parting tool is and yes that makes sense :P

Is the main benefit for modding them that way: for towing?
Less likely to bottom out?
MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP WAG

#16 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:56 PM

I did it that way as it was simpler for me than butt spacers.

#17 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:04 PM

Now with added honeycomb!

bumper mesh

:D

#18 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:08 PM

Nice Jase! Lookin good!

#19 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:10 PM

Thanks Ben!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users