#1 Bigm666

Bigm666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 03:07 PM

Hey guys hope all is well.

I'm just chasing some more details.

I bought my liberty rs turbo gosh 5 years ago but it's been off the road a few years now mostly due to financial constraints.

When I got the car I was told it had a front cut 95 WRX engine put into it and my mechanic friend confirmed it has that td05h with 90 bend and I think frog mouth TBE but I was curious how would I know exactly what WRX engine it is or if it was possibly an STI engine?

It looked stock with a black box on the top tmic.
But it went pretty hard for a stock ej20G setup.

I've checked my registration papers for the engine number but it doesn't say much "EJ20088023??"

VIN JF2BC5CR0Bxxxx

I do remember the previous owner talking about using a front cut and that it may have come with STI red/pinks shocks?

I just miss the car and can't wait to get it back on the road soon.

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 08 October 2020 - 05:42 PM

Cant really tell anything without taking the valve covers off. Even then the early STi engines arent over special compared to a normal wrx engine of the same era.

Checking the ECU code and the gearbox code may provide some clues as well

These cars and engines are sold that even if an STi cut was used theres still a chance its not the original engine anyway

tIeW8DE.png

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:17 PM

From what I understand the early WRC STi EJ20G had solid buckets. The non STi had hydraulic buckets - at least my EJ20G with replacement WRX heads are hydraulic buckets - no need for measuring valve lash gaps etc. suits me fine.

I reckon you would do well just getting it going then work out the performance side of things. You could look into and VOSchip or a full aftermarket engine management with supporting mods for your ultimate goal and then some. But if a rabbit hole money wise though!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#4 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

Only early 20G that had solid lifters with under bucket shims was the V2 STi RA afaik. Rest were HLA.

STi spec also had a silver TMIC and a blue silicone turbo -> intercooler hose

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users