• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 09 July 2023 - 10:23 PM

Gday all,

This is one of those whoops moments. Wasnt looking for another project, just chanced upon this helping a mate chase down some parts!

To do the typical specs run down like others do in their build thread, this one is a bit of a pisstake:

Drivetrain:
Standard bulletproof 1.8L EA81 with dual range 4 speed manual gearbox, 3.7 diff ratio

Wheels:
I believe an optional Sunraysia style 13 inch steel rims. Stock size tyres of some sort, about 23 inch diametre from memory.

Interior:
Shot to say the least. Rat infested, sun bleached/damaged/perished; stinky but still with that hint of 80s Subaru Ive been left closed up too long in the sun type smell. Those that know the smell will attest to it, its a distinct smell a bit like weed, but not.

Body:
Looks to be quite rust free for sitting in a wreckers with its front end essentially in a mud puddle for Subi-gods knows how many seasons. Its got two spots on the passengers side rail in the door jamb that Im quite happy with given its age. Floor covering removal might tell another story or three even though the undercarriage/floor pan looks good.
All fixed glass rubbers are shot, some gaps where its split I can fit my index finger between what used to be joined!

Stez:
Looks to be the original button and dial AM/FM radio, no cassette or CD (what were they in the early 80s??) option fitted. Works too! Dunno how many speakers yet, havent paid attention to that. But it once had a set of 6x9s fitted in the rear tailgate panel goin by the holes left over.

Other points of interest:
Sports a faded 2011 Mt Hotham seasons vehicle parking permit - same year we were up there for our last season working in the snow! I dont remember seeing it around though.
Has an aftermarket AC compressor and wiring fitted - something to look more into later

I bought this having seen it for a short period of time and not really being able to thoroughly check everything out before saying yes and collecting it from the yard several hours drive from home. I didnt even check the oil level or to see if the engine turned over freely by hand! Got spares so wasnt overly concerned. Just wanted it out of the yard and not being scrapped since it seemed so rust free!

To me its a bit of an oddball one as Ive always known the EA81 platform to end in 1984 with exception to the brumby that continued into 1991. So heres my 1985 Subaru station wagon - base model spec - coming home for the first time:

ENDSuE.jpg

Upon further inspection its had a full touring wagon interior swap with exception of the dashboard that remains the standard short dash same as a stock brumby - fuel, temp, speedo, indicator lights etc and clock (this one seems to work too - common for them not to!).

Things it is/was missing:
- front struts
- PS rack (touring wagon swap job, the station wagon is a manual rack from factory)
- exhaust Y pipe

I refitted a set of front struts before it was forked onto the trailer. This made tying it to the trailer easier and rolling it off the trailer was a piece of piss with front wheels holding up the front end!

Its still without a rack and exhaust Y pipe for now. Id like to find another PS rack, theres a bit of a story about it for another time. It might be returned to a manual rack so I can easily move it around in the mean time.

And todays little bit of play time saw several scenes like this (thanks Subarino Dave for sending back this screen shot from the video I shared with him!):

7vKU91.jpg

There was a small fire at the top of the carb where some fuel was sitting in the air cleaner area. It wasnt huge but if left it couldve burnt the paint off the housing.

It seemed that the timing was too far advanced, so I adjusted it with some guess work and the pops and farts became the noisy chorus of a strong running engine without an exhaust! Very stoked.

Also the fuel pump came to life at some point so I disconnected the fuel line and rerouted the incoming liquid varnish to an empty bottle. Seemed like the tank was pretty empty too which is good.

The only thing that seems to need to be swapped at the moment is the ignition switch. Currently you need to find the sweet spot for the key position when ON where the ignition actually works.

Pretty stoked with this little project so far. Not sure where it will go just yet but I do know I want to get it on club rego and drive it which will require some work. Ideally a respray would be on the cards but I cant say if or when this will happen. While replacing the fixed window rubbers would be a good time to do it.

Next move will be pulling out the interior to scrub up the panels, ditch the carpet, replace or repair the dashboard and have the seats reupholstered - something Im going to have to save some coin for as itll need to be done properly - hopefully this will help get rid of the smell!

Very happy that it fired up relatively easily today though! Ive also been warned that its the last vehicle Ill be dragging or driving home for some time which is a sad prospect, hopefully Ill get another brumby from a local paddock before long though (fingers crossed!). Time will tell!

If youve got this far on the story of Bennies latest nugget, well done! If you havent eaten, now is a good time to grab a bite to eat ;) ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 10 July 2023 - 08:11 AM

Nice find man! Looking forward to where this goes!

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#3 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 08:15 AM

Nice one, Bennie. What good find.

When I was a teen, I remember seeing one of these fly up a sand dune that no one could get more than half way up. I was impressed.

I look forward to seeing you work your magic on it.

#4 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 10 July 2023 - 08:51 AM

I'll have a chat to Nathan, I think he might have a new in box bonnet for one of these... Will confirm and let you know.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 10 July 2023 - 09:48 AM

Neato. I know nothing about subarus prior to 89 so always happy to read these.

Also being a 1985 model its still probably an MY84. Hence the earlier engine

tIeW8DE.png

#6 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 10 July 2023 - 10:45 PM

Nice find man! Looking forward to where this goes!

Thanks Ben! A little (not so little anymore!) El_Freddo is keen as mustard to get this thing on the road! He’s busting his chops to get stuck into pulling the interior out!

Nice one, Bennie. What good find.

When I was a teen, I remember seeing one of these fly up a sand dune that no one could get more than half way up. I was impressed.

I look forward to seeing you work your magic on it.

Cheers Kong. I doubt I’ll be unleashing this one up any sand dunes but I know how well they go in the sand and out in the bush too!

I'll have a chat to Nathan, I think he might have a new in box bonnet for one of these... Will confirm and let you know.

Thanks Ben, no stress on this one. The wagon is all the same as the brumby until the drivers door backwards body wise. The drivetrains are all the same, as are all the front panels, bonnet, bumpers etc. They’re seriously Lego in this model series!

Neato. I know nothing about subarus prior to 89 so always happy to read these.

Also being a 1985 model its still probably an MY84. Hence the earlier engine

Correct Barbs. From the 1984 build date (which I’m still yet to check on this) they changed the whole body and drivetrain from the MY to the L series. The coupe, sedan and wagon ended at this time.

Looks like this weekend we’re probably pulling out the manky interior - seems like I’m under orders from my upcoming protege :P

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#7 Bryan1

Bryan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 July 2023 - 07:05 PM

Eh mate I've got the full workshop manual for that model sitting in my shed if you want them sing out and I can take some pic's of the books tomorrow

#8 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 09:14 PM

Thanks Bryan! PM’d ;)

I checked for the build date plate, but it’s MIA so that’s a dead end. It’s no doubt built in one of the last batches in 1984 then shipped over and complianced for sale in ‘85.

I did find that the engine is original to this wagon. Not something I’ve seen before either. It was originally sold in East Hawthorn according to the paperwork in the glovebox. This paperwork was where the VIN and engine number details came from ;)

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#9 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 10:38 PM

Time for more pics and bits.

Engine bay as it is atm:

cokY1w.jpg

I pumped out all the dead fuel I could using the factory fuel system then added about 12L of fresh fuel, pumped more until it went clear, the dead stuff was cloudy.

Now it fires up and idles until you turn the key off. When I first got it going (after pulling the top of the carb off as the fuel pump was just filling the carb with fuel the other night - all seems well now) the idle mustve been near 3000rpm and without an exhaust on it everyone scattered!
Disconnected the throttle cable and it idled with a bit of labouring since it was cold. I also filled the cooling system with water

We got into the interior removal today. This is what it looked like when we picked it up and before work started - full mank-spec:

ETSlCT.jpg

yrzkNa.jpg

KJE72v.jpg

And this is where we left it for the night - rear seat base is out too.

DSWdvI.jpg

The scuff plates are removed to help aid removing the carpet once the centre console is out. And we got the rear right door open after removing the interior trim and manipulating the latching mechanism. There might be a broken spring involved, I need to investigate this further.

Im also having some trouble getting the inner screws on the rear door scuff plates out. One cracked my screwdriver head on the impact driver (hammer style, not electric) so they remain in place for now, this means the rear carpet is also still hanging around in there.

So far its coming apart well. Putting it back together will be another story though!!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#10 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 July 2023 - 12:54 PM

Nice work Bennie! Get a can of "Yield" from Bunnings or a hardware store, drown the locked up screws in it and leave it 24 hours. They'll move. Cost ya about 30 bucks for the can, but it's brilliant stuff. Wasn't aware of it until a couple years ago.

#11 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the tip Ben. I’ll have to look into that stuff!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#12 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 17 July 2023 - 10:48 PM

Nice find Bennie. I have fond memories of working on these when they were much thicker on the ground!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#13 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 07:51 AM

As one would expect, she's a bit dirty but in the scheme of things, it isn't really that bad considering the age hey! I would've expected it to be a lot worse than that.

Look forward to seeing how it comes up after you've had your way with it.

#14 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 09:20 AM

G’day Jase & Kong!

These are certainly becoming hard to find, even as the base model that wasn’t desirable for upgrade parts for brumby mods! Ppl just discarded them once they were economically not worth repairing I guess.

Still not sure which way this one will go yet, it’s kind of a project that was picked up because I found it in a place that would end up crushing it. The biggest hurdle to me is the window runners followed by the interior (which is really “just money” for some one to retrim the seats) and not having the appropriate space to give it a respray that it needs.

What I’d like to do is remove all the windows and trim pieces to give it a respray then refit with new rubbers. This will sort out the rust that’s in the very early infancy stages under the rear and front windows, plus it’ll look awesome again with a fresh lick of paint like they all do. Ultimate would be doors off for a proper full respray. Zero budget for either atm!!

se763i.jpg

Anyway, yesterday it got a setting rack fitted. Haven’t done the exhaust Y pipe yet namely because I worked out that I don’t have any nuts that fit the EA81 exhaust studs. Stuff up on my part for not forward thinking. Once this is on I should be able to haz-suit up and move it under its own power without waking the next town over.

Also found out the front brake lines were cut when whoever nabbed the front struts from it in the yard. To get it to me I had a couple of struts that were thrown in to get it on and off the trailer. They’re properly bolted in at the hubs now so one less thing to tick off there. Got the front handbrake for brake while moving so I’ll source the brake lines when the time comes. I’ll look into the rear brakes around the same time too, make sure they’re good to go.

That’s about it for now!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#15 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 11:55 AM

What thread are the exhaust bits on these dude? More than likely I'll have a heap in my collection if they're metric. Happy to throw some your way.

Cheers,
Ben

#16 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 August 2023 - 11:38 PM

Hey thanks Ben for the offer! I scrounged what I thought I needed and it turned out they’re the same as the EJ stuff! That’s not what I remember - that said, the exhaust studs could’ve been replaced for larger studs as they’re prone to pulling out all the time.

I dug around and found some nuts to use then found out the Y pipe doesn’t fit as it fouls the engine crossmember. The reason for this is I’m using the y pipe from a later model brumby where the runners from the engine to the first curve from vertical to facing rearwards is shorter than what this wagon had from factory. This is because this wagon doesn’t have the later anti pollution gear the late model brumby ran. So now I have to source from my stash down south a set of cast blocks that were used for an EGR pipe that will make this Y pipe fit properly. That means waiting for a trip to M&D’s place to hopefully grab them off a spare engine I have down there. If that one doesn’t have it I’ll have to resort to pulling them off a vehicle which I’m not really keen to do.

Fun and games.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#17 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 08:15 AM

needs an STI swap.

#18 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 03:24 PM

You donating a drivetrain? I’ll do it if that’s the case :P

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#19 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 04:15 PM

Inspiration

#20 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 08:11 PM

You donate, I’ll create :D

I’ll request a phase 2 engine pls, this gives me options. And the factory ECU & loom while we’re at it :P

Also can’t guarantee a showroom finish as much as I’d love to do that. Time, money and kids tend to get in the way of that idea.

Of course, I’m taking the piss if text doesn’t relay my playing around/sarcasm. The drivetrain is totally doable, it’s paint that I suck at.

First up is to “secure” the rust. We got this one just in time as there’s some rust beginning to show up on the underside of the front passenger’s footwell floor panel that I spotted when working on the exhaust.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users