#21 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 17 July 2023 - 05:00 PM

One day, I should get going on a build thread ??

#22 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 05:48 PM

One day, I should get going on a build thread ??

Yeah, get your shit together brother. 

Would be a good read.

#23 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 17 July 2023 - 07:35 PM

I’m with Kong on that one Beckers!

And include some pics! That always wins us over. If you need some inspiration for this you can check out any of my build threads or Barb’s ones :D

Kong, I saw an advert for an F-something (B maybe?) turbo with that plastic piece you replaced with the Cobb unit. I can’t believe the difference in the build quality or that Subaru haven’t learned from past experience with this sort of thing near a hot turbo!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#24 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 08:09 PM

I’m with Kong on that one Beckers!

And include some pics! That always wins us over. If you need some inspiration for this you can check out any of my build threads or Barb’s ones :D

Kong, I saw an advert for an F-something (B maybe?) turbo with that plastic piece you replaced with the Cobb unit. I can’t believe the difference in the build quality or that Subaru haven’t learned from past experience with this sort of thing near a hot turbo!

Cheers

Bennie

I know what you mean, Bennie. The plastic intake pipe on my old B4 was lucky to be intact after 300k kms. Wedged under the manifold, on top of a hot engine and also connected to 2 hot turbos. So many people run into problems with cracked intakes.

#25 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 17 July 2023 - 09:19 PM

Fully agree, time to give us something to read and look at Simon! Did you end up using that 207 block you got from me all those years ago, been meaning to ask, but kept forgetting.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#26 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 17 July 2023 - 10:40 PM

Forking nice car Kong, it's modded, without looking modded. I'm looking forward to seeing where this build goes!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#27 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 11:02 PM

Fully agree, time to give us something to read and look at Simon! Did you end up using that 207 block you got from me all those years ago, been meaning to ask, but kept forgetting.

Cheers,
Ben

Yeah Ben, It got a new crank, forged pistons and rods in it now,

#28 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 07:30 AM

Forking nice car Kong, it's modded, without looking modded. I'm looking forward to seeing where this build goes!

Thanks Jase. 

That's exactly what I wanted to achieve. Keeping it looking like a factory tidy WRX with some STi bits but with enough pep under the bonnet to surprise the odd person when I put the foot down. The important thing for me was that it had to remain quiet enough & drivable enough to be able to cruise around and also fly under the radar of the cops and it is. I've kept it all legal with the mods so there will no issues if I were ever asked to pop the hood and there's no hassle at rego time changing things around . The only way you'd know it was spiced up a bit is if I floored it, then all the cool Turbo noises come out to play and it sounds beasty.

I do love the boxer rumble but the spool & exhaust sounds from the twin scroll and EL headers is something else.

For me, the nicest thing about this car is only bolting on brand new quality parts with the only exception being the BPV I got from Aek. It's a totally different game than sourcing older & used performance & JDM parts for a Gen3 Lib.

It's a great feeling unwrapping new parts and carefully installing them.

#29 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 19 July 2023 - 05:18 PM

For me, the nicest thing about this car is only bolting on brand new quality parts with the only exception being the BPV I got from Aek. It's a totally different game than sourcing older & used performance & JDM parts for a Gen3 Lib.

It's a great feeling unwrapping new parts and carefully installing them.

hahaha AMEN BROTHER!! Everything fits & everything works. Its a beautiful thing..

funny as i was scrolling through market place, i just realised the other day, i think the ganador mirrors on the unicorn are pretty much worth more than the rest of the car.. what a time to be alive

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#30 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 07:45 AM

funny as i was scrolling through market place, i just realised the other day, i think the ganador mirrors on the unicorn are pretty much worth more than the rest of the car.. what a time to be alive

Hahaha surely not. 

Well I guess the value of the car has just doubled.

#31 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 20 July 2023 - 11:22 AM

hey mate these are the dash trim pieces i was talking about in the levorg thread. these are genuine subaru pieces from a 2018 STI. Mint condition. I bought them assuming they would be the same as the levorg but unlike almost everything else that fits betweent the two models, the levorg has a different shaped dash trim than the VA WRX & STI.

Not sure if you'd be interested but they're avaialble and for sale of you are..

gallery_13_197_62184.jpg

gallery_13_197_11746.jpg

gallery_13_197_74936.jpg

gallery_13_197_98219.jpg

gallery_13_197_86999.jpg

The rest of the carbon trims i have are Axis-Parts which i bought from Japanparts. Check out the range here: https://www.japanpar...&ma_kwd=&manu=1

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#32 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 11:36 AM

hey mate these are the dash trim pieces i was talking about  

Thanks for first dibs bro but I have those ones. Cheers for the link, I'll check out the Axis range.

#33 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 10:16 AM

I’ve been impatiently playing the waiting game on a bunch of parts that were ordered in early July and the estimated delivery time has now gone from 10 days after purchase to late October. That totally pisses me off to no end. I would've been better off sucking it up and paying the extra $$$ buying directly from the manufacturer in the US, but here we are.

Patience was never a virtue I’ve possessed - END RANT.

Not much has happened since my last update but some bits and bobs have arrived this week and I’m looking forward to the process of putting together my first customised modification for the car.

For a while I've been tossing up between the options of an Air oil separator and dual catch cans. It’s a result of being on the American FA20 forums and groups. I’ve become a little paranoid thanks to our American friends and their issues, there's constant chit chat about having to walnut blast the intakes & valves because of carbon build up on these DIT engines. That sounds like a massive pain in the arse to me and not something I’d want to attempt at home. It’s funny because every time someone posts an issue with the way their car is running on the American forums, heaps of people jump on saying “Have you walnut blasted your intake”, acting like it’s the miracle cure to all problems. I really haven't heard much in Australian circles though and I’m thinking it possibly has something to do with the Yanks using E fuel more and it’s not such a big issue here because the majority uses 98 ron.

Nevertheless, when I changed my turbo inlet over to the Aluminium COBB inlet there was a little bit of blow-by. Not heaps by any means, but I've opted to do something about it and go the catch can route for a couple of reasons. The decision to go with a twin catch can set up over the AOS (besides the ridiculous price tag of the AOS units) was made easy by a video comparison I watched between the two set ups. What I saw being collected by the AOS was a contaminated brown milky liquid comprised of fuel, oil and water… and that gets fed right back in to mix with the sump oil. No thanks, it makes no sense to me.

Catch cans obviously need to be monitored on an ongoing basis and emptied when required, but that’s no biggie in my opinion and not much of a Con.

As much as I like the look of the Radium Dual catch can set up for the VA WRX, I just can't bring myself to pay the ridiculous price they go for. I'm sure they are a good bit of kit and the installation process is quite simple, but for about a ¼ of the price I picked up similar sized ebay spec catch cans, braided hose and all the AN fittings I needed to put together my own custom version of the Radium can set up. The only thing I’ll need to do is fabricate a bracket to hold the cans in place and to mount them in the same position as radium do. (on the LH side of the engine bay near the air box). I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Ebay cans, I’m confident they’ll do the job once I source a larger O ring. The ones provided are a bit small and I’d rather go larger for a better seal. Chances are, these generic cans are probably made in the same Chinese factory as the expensive ones anyway. I guess I’ll find out soon enough if they’re up to the task.

gallery_10298_195_404027.jpg

All the parts I need, hopefully. 

The Bonjour fur goblin bat pig has offered his support to the project.

He's a good boy.

gallery_10298_195_583005.jpg

#34 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 29 August 2023 - 02:04 PM

Those cans are the ones i run. The exact ones mishimoto buy and put a logo on

tIeW8DE.png

#35 JDP

JDP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 02:43 PM

Those cans are the ones i run. The exact ones mishimoto buy and put a logo on

I'm not surprised, then they charge you top dollar for the logo. 

#36 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 07:56 PM

Few $ worth of fittings there m8.

I'm sure these with work just fine, plus you saved cash not to get the laser etching done. Win  win

Fur goblin likes them.

#37 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 29 August 2023 - 09:00 PM

Very nice. Keen to see what you come up with mount wise there Bosskong! Had the same thoughts regarding a catch can vs AOS, not a huge fan of sticking the sludge back in with the oil to contaminate it further...

I'm hearing you on the delivery times blow outs! I've got 3 out of 4 packages from Japan, with customs deciding that they'll hold onto one for a while longer, ETA yet unknown...

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users