160 replies to this topic

#1 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

Was looking at B4's around the country today and was curious to know if they are all the same spec engines (2.0L)? Some were turbo yet others were twin turbo - is that a model difference or simply owners prerogative? Don't know about the blue leather <_< For 6-9 years old most are priced between $15K-$20K.... Does the Kw output differ between model/01-02-03 or relative to single/twin turbo??? What's the best pick for style/luxury/performance from those of you in the know??? I'm not looking to buy but would like to know for future reference. Thanks for any info...

#2 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

Google and the odd search is your friend.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#3 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

i suggest you do some more reading from ACCURATE sources as all B4's were twin turbo.

MY07 GT spec B

#4 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:59 PM

Was looking at B4's around the country today and was curious to know if they are all the same spec engines (2.0L)?

Yes.

Some were turbo yet others were twin turbo - is that a model difference or simply owners prerogative?

As far as I know, all Aus delivered B4's were twin turbo.

Don't know about the blue leather <_<

It grows on you, trust me :)

For 6-9 years old most are priced between $15K-$20K....

Sounds about right. I wouldnt pay much more. Expect about 100,000 -> 150,000km's on the clock too.

Does the Kw output differ between model/01-02-03 or relative to single/twin turbo???

No. 195kw standard, down-tuned from the JDM version of about 206kw.

What's the best pick for style/luxury/performance from those of you in the know???

B4's (in my opinion) are a good mix of luxury and performance, without being a WRX.

I'm not looking to buy but would like to know for future reference.
Thanks for any info...

Take one for a drive if you can. The twin turbo CAN be a pain in the ass, but is very driveable and you get used to it very quickly.

I may be biased, because I own a B4 - but I tell you what, i'm sure glad I didnt buy a WRX or an RS/GT lib.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#5 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

i suggest you do some more reading from ACCURATE sources as all B4's were twin turbo.

Ahh, only read advertisements, some said turbo, others said twin turbo....
My mistake.

#6 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

As far as I know, all Aus delivered B4's were twin turbo.
Sounds about right. I wouldnt pay much more. Expect about 100,000 -> 150,000km's on the clock too.
No. 195kw standard, down-tuned from the JDM version of about 206kw.
B4's (in my opinion) are a good mix of luxury and performance, without being a WRX.
Take one for a drive if you can. The twin turbo CAN be a pain in the ass, but is very driveable and you get used to it very quickly.
I may be biased, because I own a B4 - but I tell you what, i'm sure glad I didnt buy a WRX or an RS/GT lib.

Thank you ams
I've never driven a turbo before but would be interested to take one out... How different are they to drive? Can you point me to somewhere that describes what to expect... rules of thumb??
Thanks again.

#7 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:29 PM

Expect a small but usable amount of boost from around 3300 -> 4500 rpm. Big dirty hole from 4500-> 5000rpm'ish Fun from 5000rpm -> 6500. You learn (through just driving the thing) how to change gears and not land in the hole. If you get an aftermarket tune (ECUTek, LinkECU etc) the car should be much more fun to drive. I'm getting mine tuned in the next few months, will report back details.

#8 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

Only one in Adelaide. :( And it's an Auto.... 176kw vs 190kw Manual.... Is that seriously the difference a 2xturbo makes? My stock Gen3 is around 105 or 115kw from memory...

#9 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:32 PM

Thank you ams
I've never driven a turbo before but would be interested to take one out... How different are they to drive? Can you point me to somewhere that describes what to expect... rules of thumb??
Thanks again.

You can expect that it will go faster, stop harder and go through corners better.

#10 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:38 PM

Is that seriously the difference a 2xturbo makes? My stock Gen3 is around 105 or 115kw from memory...

They don't just slap two turbo's on.

There's STi bits under that sexy front end.

#11 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

OK, after reading the NA thread I realise there has to be more to it than just the turbos..
Found a blue 2003 MY03 manual (private).... 80,000Km - $20,500
Little pricey for me, will have to pay this one off and save for a bit....

#12 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

Nice. Blue goes faster too. And makes pennis bigger. edit: If your up for a road-trip to our fine side of the country (Perth), vidler has had his car up for sale for a few months. Haven't seen it in person, but looks clean and very low km's. http://www.subyclub....y02-liberty-b4/

#13 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

Man, that's nice! :) So my stock Gen3 goes slower because it's white? What a conundrum, I can't afford a B4 and I can't afford a smaller penis! :nea:

#14 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

Man, that's nice! :)
So my stock Gen3 goes slower because it's white?
What a conundrum, I can't afford a B4 and I can't afford a smaller penis! :nea:

Ill take you for a drive in my beast Merlin!
Then you will want one :)

although it is a good 60kw over stock, you will get the idea

#15 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

...but isn't yours silver? Blue adds 60kw right there.

If you agree to the ride, don't let him do doughies...

#16 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

...but isn't yours silver? Blue adds 60kw right there.

If you agree to the ride, don't let him do doughies...

hahaha

But i believe they installed a pussy magnet in all the silver models

#17 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:10 PM

Where can I buy this "magnet" you speak of!? /end Borat

Merlin, you are going to have to come to the cruise in September where you will (hopefully) have a few B4's to look through and go for a spin in. They are a completely different beast to an RX.

If you want a good detailed view on the B4 then read this- its got 90% of the info you need, and the rest is on liberty forums!

Subaru Liberty B4 writeup

If you want to read about the donk thats in a B4 then read this- its the only way I have been able to understand how the noisy thing under my bonnet works.
B4 Tech Overload

That Blue B4 thats for sale in Adelaide has gotten CHEAP. That was for sale when I was getting mine back in April- The guy wanted 24K FIRM for it....and he's still trying to sell it :dash2:

A re-tune really transforms the B4, I was a bit sceptical at reading all the posts on forums saying that its like a different car after a re-tune- but its TRUE!! A 40KW gain just with a re-tune is nothing to be sneezed at, and the driveability across the rev range is dramatically improved. Have a drive of one of ours at the cruise and you will want one sooner rather than later! :flag_of_truce:
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#18 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

Ill take you for a drive in my beast Merlin!
Then you will want one :)

Thanks for heightening my B4 Lust nerves!! <_<
Question: Do you race or something? I don't know where the hell you could use 250+KW....

Merlin, you are going to have to come to the cruise in September where you will (hopefully) have a few B4's to look through and go for a spin in. They are a completely different beast to an RX.

Great..... more B4 Lust sensations!!!!
(I'm in)

If you want a good detailed view on the B4 then read this- its got 90% of the info you need, and the rest is on liberty forums!
Subaru Liberty B4 writeup
If you want to read about the donk thats in a B4 then read this- its the only way I have been able to understand how the noisy thing under my bonnet works.
B4 Tech Overload
That Blue B4 thats for sale in Adelaide has gotten CHEAP. That was for sale when I was getting mine back in April- The guy wanted 24K FIRM for it....and he's still trying to sell it :dash2:

Thanks for the links..... That blue beast has the lowest Km's Ive seen nation wide for a MY03... I guess he thinks that's worth something...
Did you have a look at it? Is it Modded?

A re-tune really transforms the B4, I was a bit sceptical at reading all the posts on forums saying that its like a different car after a re-tune- but its TRUE!! A 40KW gain just with a re-tune is nothing to be sneezed at, and the driveability across the rev range is dramatically improved. Have a drive of one of ours at the cruise and you will want one sooner rather than later! :flag_of_truce:

I don't know what my lender will think if I try and sell the car they bought within a month of getting it... :blink:
And what do you do with your 200+KW? And where do you do it??
What's in$urance like on one of those?

#19 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for heightening my B4 Lust nerves!! <_<
Question: Do you race or something? I don't know where the hell you could use 250+KW....

Great..... more B4 Lust sensations!!!!
(I'm in)

Thanks for the links..... That blue beast has the lowest Km's Ive seen nation wide for a MY03... I guess he thinks that's worth something...
Did you have a look at it? Is it Modded?

I don't know what my lender will think if I try and sell the car they bought within a month of getting it... :blink:
And what do you do with your 200+KW? And where do you do it??
What's in$urance like on one of those?

lender doesnt care as long as they get their money. if you didnt check theres a good possiblity of a early exit fee from the contract.

MY07 GT spec B

#20 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

If your keen, have a look for a few JDM models ( Legacy's ) namely Etune2's and GTB's. They are more powerful than the OzDel B4 and also have a few extra tiddly bits here and there. Plus B4's never came in a wagon which is epically ****, you will find all GTB's are wagons which come standard with a "Pussy Magnet". They can also be had for around the same price as the B4's and insurance would be the same/similar. If i were in the market i would definatly consider a JDM model over a B4, although the sedan is very sexy im a wagon man through and through. Have a look around! Dont be fooled into thinking the whole TT thing is rubbish as alot of the naysayers probably havent ever been in one or touched one. It just takes some time to learn how to drive it, and when you do, reap the rewards!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users