←  Twin Turbo

Suby Club

»

Legacy owners only.

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 13 Oct 2009

In the next week or so i will be ditching the Aus Tune on the B4 and uploading a factory JDM Tune. Hopefully a few extra kw's for basically no money. My question is to any TT Legacy owners. What Petrol do you guys use, do you add an octane booster to bring it up closer to the 100 that they have in Japenese Land and do you get any ping during the summer? Thanks

fatcat67's Photo fatcat67 13 Oct 2009

Constant use of octane boost is not good for engines. I would also be surprised if you noticed much of a worthwhile difference. Just get the standard ECU tuned FTW.

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 13 Oct 2009

Just get the standard ECU tuned FTW.

I would, if it wasn't for the $800+ price tag, plus i still got some other mods to do before i would get it tuned anyway. Which means more dollars. I'm sure it would be an improvement over the Aus tune, may not have much more power, but i'm mainly hoping it copes with summer better.

robt's Photo robt 13 Oct 2009

My car is a JDM and I run a Mines ECU. I have never had any problems with either detonation or anything with 98 octane. And I use all brands whenever I need it. Octane booster is not good just run 98 and you will be fine.

Ericmcg's Photo Ericmcg 13 Oct 2009

My B4 is a JDM model and i run 99 octane, runs perfectly without any problems no matter what the weather

legacy rsk's Photo legacy rsk 13 Oct 2009

jdm legacy with a mines tuned ecu. no trouble with pinging at all with aussie pump fuels. have used standard unleaded once without any trouble though i didnt go over 5000rpm

Alex's Photo Alex 13 Oct 2009

I ran a JDM ECU Before, and a JDM ECU now. 98RON is AOK :) don't you dare touch octane booster. that shit is the work of satan. will make your plugs go brown with some sludgey shit. its evil.

twinturbosubaru's Photo twinturbosubaru 14 Oct 2009

Second that, I prefer shell or BP 98, but most is fine. I have been running JDM ECU for 8 years even before there was 98 and ran fine on 95 with the odd hit of Tolulene for track days, but all good :) I second Franks comment though and say why bother, if you feel a difference I would be surprised in all honesty, you might actually find the AUDM tune is more torqey than the JDM one. Regards Paul

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 14 Oct 2009

No or less pinging during summer is enough to make it worth it IMO.

MY03B4's Photo MY03B4 28 Feb 2010

hawks_123 i see that your in the eastern suburbs, if your near Bayswater the united petrol station on dorset rd in between Mountain Hwy and canterbury rd has 100 Octane. it the only petrol station i've found that has it and makes my B4 more responsive and go that little harder. Best fuel out of them all.