40 replies to this topic

#1 Kosti

Kosti

George Clooney's evil twin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

I need to put new Sox, just curious to know if anyone has tried the Kumho Ecsta KU31?

I'm currently on about 45% on my Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 and these would have been the best rubber so far and even better than the P6000 prior to grabbing the F1'a at a steal for $150/tire

These KU31 are going for about $130 @ TempeTyres

Looking for options, comments.

I found this thread Review of Kumho Ecsta KU31 interesting.

Cheers
Kosti
I prefer TWINS!

Now anyone up for a friendly game ?

Posted Image

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:30 PM

Yeah i'm rockin the Kumho Ecsta's. I would have got the Bridgestone's if they had them in stock when I needed them, but i'm not regretting the Kumho's... I'm happy enough, and would probably get them again.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

Hi, I've rocked KU31's for years. They are a great all rounder. Expect a fair bit of road noise, but really surprisingly good grip for the money. Also, they last for yonks. I paid 100 through Tempe early this year. :D Cheers, Nik

#4 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

Hi,

I've rocked KU31's for years. They are a great all rounder. Expect a fair bit of road noise, but really surprisingly good grip for the money.

Also, they last for yonks.

I paid 100 through Tempe early this year. :D

Cheers,
Nik

+1 for the ku31. had them on my liberty and they were great bang for buck. $160 for 225/40/18

MY07 GT spec B

#5 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

$160 for 225/40/18

Yah that's about what I paid for that same size...

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#6 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

Hi, Haha. I paid $100. 245 - 18 - r18. What's up now? Anyway. Ku's are sweet. Even Awix thinks they are worthy rubber, and he hates EVERYTHING. Cheers, Nik

#7 Kosti

Kosti

George Clooney's evil twin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:53 PM

Hi,

I've rocked KU31's for years. They are a great all rounder. Expect a fair bit of road noise, but really surprisingly good grip for the money.

Also, they last for yonks.

I paid 100 through Tempe early this year. :D

Cheers,
Nik

Dont suppose you have the invoice, maybe I could bargin them down to $100 a throw for each tire too.. :drinks:

Sounds like I'm going with the KU31 I'd love the KU36, but I dont think Id be doing much track work
I prefer TWINS!

Now anyone up for a friendly game ?

Posted Image

#8 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

Hi, I'll have to check my work email in the morning and hit you back. Cheers, Nik

#9 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

cheap because tempe bring them in the wheel containers and avoid duties on them. dodgy bastards!

MY07 GT spec B

#10 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

Hi, Yer, bastards making quality rubber affordable. I hate them so. Cheers, Nik

#11 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

Forgetting price and all that - the KU31's are good tyres but they're not great. I had Adrenalin's on before them and they were far better in the wet and dry, and were barely louder than the KU31's. The Dunlop SP's which I had on my car when I first got it were also more grippy than the Kumho's, although they were distinctly louder than all of the above. My only major gripe with the Kumho's is that when parking and in low speed maneuovers (lots of steering lock), they are loud and send vibrations through the car. It might not be as bad with a gen3 (not sure), but it definately sends though noise and vibrations through to the cabin of my gen2 when I'm trying to park or doing a u-turn. Other than that, I wouldn't hesistate recommending them but for me personally - I'd happily pay the extra revert to having Bridgestone RE001's next time around...

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#12 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

Forgetting price and all that - the KU31's are good tyres but they're not great.

I had Adrenalin's on before them and they were far better in the wet and dry, and were barely louder than the KU31's.
The Dunlop SP's which I had on my car when I first got it were also more grippy than the Kumho's, although they were distinctly louder than all of the above.

My only major gripe with the Kumho's is that when parking and in low speed maneuovers (lots of steering lock), they are loud and send vibrations through the car. It might not be as bad with a gen3 (not sure), but it definately sends though noise and vibrations through to the cabin of my gen2 when I'm trying to park or doing a u-turn. Other than that, I wouldn't hesistate recommending them but for me personally - I'd happily pay the extra revert to having Bridgestone RE001's next time around...

i think thats your car :D

the kuhmos are at least $50 a pop cheaper than the potenzas and will last much longer. they are a great street tyre.

MY07 GT spec B

#13 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:36 PM

i think thats your car :D

the kuhmos are at least $50 a pop cheaper than the potenzas and will last much longer. they are a great street tyre.

I don't know what it is but thats its only downside really.

But yeh overall its the best tyre I've had because its cheaper and wears slower than the other tyres I've had. Yet I still prefer the Bridgestones...

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#14 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

KU31s would be about on par with Eagle F1's. They're average tyres. Kosti. Man up. Buy some real tyres. Oh yeah. That's right. You're car is slow. S'ok. :) and alexxx - why aren't you blowing your horn about Falken FK452s? Finally realised they're shit? (like I told you two years ago!)

#15 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

KU31s would be about on par with Eagle F1's.

They're average tyres.

Kosti.

Man up.

Buy some real tyres.

Oh yeah.

That's right.

You're car is slow.

S'ok. :)

and alexxx - why aren't you blowing your horn about Falken FK452s?

Finally realised they're shit? (like I told you two years ago!)

they are good tyres. but the kuhmos are cheaper. they are in the same league.

MY07 GT spec B

#16 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hi, KU31's are good tyres for the money. Unless you are tracking your car, don't be crazy. Cheers, N k.

#17 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

Falken are garbage. Absolute garbage. Kumhos I'm a little wary of. Don't get me wrong. They may be good tyres. But I like my tyres "better". Not "good". I'd put good tyres on a Corolla. I'd put better tyres on a performance car. I rate my Toyo T1R's. So much so, I'll be buying them again.

#18 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:27 PM

Hi Awix, Let's not go crazy mate. How many K's do you get out of the TR1's? About 60% of what you'll run from a KU31... If you're chucking that much money away, have some 17s with track rubber and some 18s for the street with a hard compound that wears well. It's just economics. Cheers, Nik

#19 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

Nik I like to think of it this way. Tyres are the only thing that's keeping me, and my mechanical contraption off the ground. So why go second rate at the cost of a few pennies in my pocket? It's only money. I can't bear thinking of the potential risk i place my family, friends and myself in a car like mine, only to skimp on tyres. I've spent some serious coin now on suspension, wheels, engine, and brakes. Why insert a weak link into the chain? I mean, no point spending $5K on suspension, only to handle like a sack of shit because of the tyres? Why spend $5K on brakes, only to have tyres that will only skate after the brakes have been applied? etc. Go hard or go home is what I say about tyres. Buy the best you can afford. Don't be tight. It'll only undo all the good things you do to your car.

#20 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

Hi, But cost over a certain price point is not equal to safety. You are saying buying a really expensive track tyre is a better option? It's not mate, you know it's not. A tyre that need to be warmed up to work properly - this goes for brakes aswell - may be a better quality, but in day to day application they are not up to the same task standard. I think we are saying the same thing, just at crossed words. Cheers, Nik Also, not many people have spent 10K upgrading susp. and brakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users