40 replies to this topic

#21 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

Not that i have used many tires but i am going to need something new soon.. currently got T1R's was going to swap to Potenza Adrenalin but i do like the T1R. have been gettign quotes on tyres of all sorts and talking to many people arount the interwebs and reading review sites ( a few of which actually accuse the T1R of being a terrible tyre) anyway... was driving to work on Friday and it was hammering down, literally a inch deep of water all over the roads and as i came over a crest doing 80 stupid L plater pulled straight out and the mum threw on the hand brake :dash2: let me just say i think i will be going T1R's again there may be better tyres but i KNOW how these perform and if i need more out of my tyres as far as performance goes its because im doing a track day and my car has grown a snail under the bonnet. The one thing i have found with the Toyo's (running 205/50/16) is that you need to run higher pressure than what the book says for the car, i thought it was the tyres being too soft on the sides but after a bit of research i found they like to be pumped a bit more, after a rotate i found they are not wearing half as much on the sides now. Just my 2c , take it or leave it, im no expert but they are wearing ok for me now (for a sport tyre)
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#22 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

Hi, More PSI will reduce grip. Cheers, Nik

#23 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

Hi,

But cost over a certain price point is not equal to safety. You are saying buying a really expensive track tyre is a better option? It's not mate, you know it's not. A tyre that need to be warmed up to work properly - this goes for brakes aswell - may be a better quality, but in day to day application they are not up to the same task standard.

I think we are saying the same thing, just at crossed words.

Cheers,
Nik

Also, not many people have spent 10K upgrading susp. and brakes.

1st up. T1R is not a track tyre. It's Toyo's flagship street tyre.

The track version is the R1R, and after speaking to a few people that have gone from the T1R to the R1R, they too said it was somewhat a grave mistake that they took, as track tyres and street tyres are pretty much apples and oranges. Funnily enough, they've gone back to the T1R.

Secondly. I've hit well over 40k on my tyres now, and i've still got about 3mm from the tread indicators. That's forking awesome in my books, especially considering the amount of stick these tyres have. It's insane.

Nik. Honestly. These tyres are honestly wicked bang for buck. And that's saying something, considering they cost me $320 a pop for an 18"

Yeah. Sure. Not many people have spent what I have on my car.

But perhaps because of these tyres, I have been able to push the boundaries a whole great deal more, and the tyres still faithfully serve me and my outlandish ways really well.

Only now I'm starting to find the boundaries of these tyres. But holy crap they stick like shit to a blanket.

#24 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

Hi, I'll give you that mate 40k+ out of a tyre that sticks like the preverbial is well worth north of 300. I was clearly confused with the prefixes and numbers, I thought that you were running a track tyre - ! Thanks for the clarification, mate. Do they have a cool tread pattern? Cheers, Nik

#25 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

just pointing out something i have found while running these and what others have discussed elsewhere.

Run them soft and yes you will get more grip but they will wear badly on the sides, adding an extra 4-5psi made a big improvement in feel and wear for me.

EDIT: fUllY SiK V tread pattern brew.
T1R
Posted Image
Proxes 4 (DO NOT BUY THESE!)
Posted Image

#26 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:56 PM

I rikey T1Rs. Stick and last. But expensive.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#27 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Revival...
Looking for a reccomendation on a new set of 4 in coming months.

225/45/17

RE-11's are too noisy now and are well... close to the end of life so saving them for track now.

Anyone got some good deals lately?

I found some Second Handy's to get my by - Conti Sport contact 2's which i think i'll snap up at $75
and some Pzero Rosso's $80

has anyone heard of Nitto Invo's ?

can get these at $165 each.. they look decent and have good rep in the US.. and at $165 they are very attractive!
Posted Image

then i have the Trusted T1R's at $192 ea again a bloody good price

RE002's at $210 (im a bit unsure of the RE002's though as i have found the 001's have a very soft sidewall)

#28 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

I thought T1Rs were no longer in production? Make sure they're not old stock you're buying.

I'm running Continental ContiSportContact 3's. Factory fitment to M3, M5, AMG, etc. Need I say any more? :) $$$ is my only complaint.

Nitto are American tyres AFAIK. Tempe Tyres imports Nittos, hit them up for a price.

Personally I wouldn't buy tyres that aren't available en-masse locally, insurance reasons.

#29 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

i got some Michelin Pilot Sport 245/35/19 and all i can say is WOOOOOW i can drive almost the same in the wet as i do in the dry..

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#30 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

The T1R's are from St George Tyres, in Sidknee but im looking at doing a trip up that way once the new engine is in so i would get it done then.
I will have to check the prod date on them though, didnt know about T1R's being out of production only making 15in and 20+ inch now :( bugger they are an awesome tire

The Pilot sports are pretty good, i used them for a few months and i was bloody happy but they cost a fair bit more, im trying to stick to 200ea or under as a budget for tyres..

The ContiSports how do you find them in the wet Alex?
I know they are OEM on European Lux cars but they all have staggered fitment with stipid big sizes on the rear so that probabbly helps a fair bit.
i'll have the 2's on next week so i guess i can comment then but still would like to have your thoughts..

one thing i liked alot about the T1R's were they were/are a quite progressive tire.. they would slowly let go not a sudden loss so you could feel them going and ease off before you hit trouble.

#31 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

Ty,

Hankook RS2
Posted Image

They have just,or are about to be, superseeded by the RS3.

Very happy with them but they are soft..ish. Treadwear is 200.

#32 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

i just went another set of KU31's. I keep meaning to try others but always end up back at these...

i did try a set a Hankooks a few sets ago but they ended up having a sidewall failure (covered by warrantee thankfully and detected before they blew while driving) so now i just stick to what i know.

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#33 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

im in the market fora new set of tyres aswell, and i was looking at the KU31s andd he Nio Nitto Invo's

aot of people seem to be running the KU31s and get aot of good reviews, but a few people on the other forum im on are running these on ralliart Lancers and they arnt good when you push them hard.

and alot of reveiws ive found for the Nittos in Australia are mostly on Falcon forums and they ayy thay have lots of grip in a straight line but they avent pushed hard around corners

#34 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:05 PM

I've got T1R's which I got from St George and I love em. I honestly don't push the car very much any more, but when I do it grips much better than the bridgestone re001's that I had before.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#35 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

I've done at least 80,000kms on ku31s. (not the same set)

They can let go, but Posted Image me, they stick most things I put them through!

Posted Image

#36 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

yeah not sure how hard you're planning to push them exactly but i've used them a few times at wakefield and they offer plenty of grip. i guess you can always get more g's but in my experience the KU31's a great all round tyre

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#37 Trent

Trent

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Pirelli P7. Similar to adrenalines but quieter. Paid $160ish a corner about 20 months and 35000 kms ago and still got somewhere between 40-45% tread left.

I'd buy them again

#38 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

Ty, to me those Invo's appear to be a bit light on for tread depth on the outer edge.
Any idea of the treadwear rate?

#39 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

St George Tyres are dodgeyfucks. Avoid. +++.

I wanted to buy Continental CSC3's. St George quoted me about $80 cheaper in total than Tempe, up the road. They were very pushy with the sale. I asked to look at the tyres, they agreed, and lead me up back, but all of a sudden, they couldn't find the tyres... They were at the bottom of a pile, and weren't willing to show me them unless I committed to buy.

I did a 180 degree turn, and walked out without saying a word.

I walked back into Tempe, asked to see them, they lead me to their underground warehouse. Showed me the tyres, they were less than six months old!! FRESH AS BRO! They then let me carry them up, and fitted them to my car.

The tyres are absolutely mental. Although the specs on paper are the same as the T1Rs, they're much better. They sure footed, progressive, and they only start to let go when I'm doing some absolutely retarded shit. There's no nasty suprises.

The CSC2's are slightly worse on paper compared to the CSC3's, but a mate of mine ran a set of old second hand 2's as track tyres, and he couldn't stop raving on about them. They don't look flash at all, the tread pattern is very ordinary looking, as well as the 3's, but you will be stunned with the performance.

One thing I love about these tyres is that they're non directional. That means you can swap sides, which makes tyre rotations awesome, and you get better wear distribution provided you religiously rotate your tyres every 5k like I do for maximum wear properties.

P7's = if you drive a standard Subaru, within speed limits. Even then... No. Overpriced for what they actually are.

#40 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

yeah good tyre alex come standard on my xr5 and rs but got a bit a squirmy after about 4 laps at wakefield though

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users