• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:11 AM

This site needs more technical stuff ( hopefully Jason/RXSE can help out :sarcastic: ) I've being having weird clutch pedal problems ever since i bought my car, Only ever happens randomly, most commonly happens after i have been driving for a good half an hour, Turn of the car for about 5 minutes (to pick up something) and then get back in and drive, The clutch "free-play" changes and slowly gets more and more "free-play" until another 5 or 10 minutes of driving it comes back to normal again! It seems to be very random and doesn't happen very often, but when it does it makes it a bit more difficult to drive, Any ideas? (clutch is only around 3000k's old, and it happened before i got it put in)

#2 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

Old hydraulic fluid? Low fluid level?

#3 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:26 AM

Old hydraulic fluid?

Low fluid level?

I think they would of replaced it when they did the clutch/gearbox, and it's on the full level :)

#4 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

Sounds like there might be some air in the hydraulic lines Walts. Next time it happens pump the clutch in and out a few times. If that improves the situation then that'll be your problem.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#5 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

Sounds like there might be some air in the hydraulic lines Walts. Next time it happens pump the clutch in and out a few times. If that improves the situation then that'll be your problem.

I pump the clutch every now and then when it happens, but doesn't seem to help, it just comes back up in around 5 minutes lol

#6 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

I have the same clutch and the same problem but mine only happens when I'm constantly stopping and starting i.e city driving. Last time the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor and I had to pull it out with my foot. :o

#7 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

I have the same clutch and the same problem but mine only happens when I'm constantly stopping and starting i.e city driving.
Last time the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor and I had to pull it out with my foot. :o

Same

#8 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

If the pedal is sticking to the floor generally that would tell you that you're very low (or out of) fluid in the clutch slave cylinder reservoir, which would most likely point to a leaking clutch line which is apparently quite common on Subarus according to the chap at the brake shop that made my new line for me. If your reservoir is still full though, that's a bit weird. Quirk on the B4s maybe?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#9 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

Maybe you both need to bleed the hydraulics. Just cos it looks full on top doesnt mean its full all the way through. Or theres dirt in there. OR the slave is busted OR Something else :)

Posted Image

#10 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

I just read "bleeding the clutch" in the workshop manual, Looks like some tricky shit! Might try it on the weekend, need to removal intercooler and something else...

#11 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

I have the same clutch and the same problem but mine only happens when I'm constantly stopping and starting i.e city driving.
Last time the clutch pedal got stuck to the floor and I had to pull it out with my foot. :o

Same

If it's not air as Xon suggested (try a flush and bleed first) it would most likely be a faulty slave cylinder.

The clutch pedal staying on the floor seems to be a common problem with the GenIIIs (early version??) and Subaru released a service bulletin on it with a new part number for the slave.

Might be worth checking if you have free play (about 1-2mm) at the master cylinder pushrod (under dash) when the pedal is released. If there is no free play the master cylinder is unable to release a build up of pressure in the system and it all starts to feel a bit odd.

I would be replacing the master and the slave with an aftermarket unit as they probably never have been done. I imagine Subaru would want telephone numbers for them. A brake and clutch supplier (Better Brakes in Mitcham if in Melb) should be able to source the parts.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#12 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

Thanks Jase, I'll try a fluid bleed and replace if that doesnt work i'll go see S&J and they can do it for me :)

#13 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

And It might be worth checking if there is about 1-2mm of free play at the master cylinder pushrod (under the dash). If there is none then the master is unable to release any pressure that builds up and the pedal feel goes a bit strange. EDIT: Im going mad at work. I mentioned this in my other post. What is the first sign if insanity??????

#14 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

You can buy a one person brake/clutch bleeder, its basically a tube with a one way valve that goes into the jar of clean fluid. Otherwise you will probably need 2 people to bleed it. I think, or so ive learnt. Another way is to just put the tube into the fluid in a jar and open the bleed nipple and then get in the car and pump away. i did this in my mini with empty/new brake lines throughout and it works but i would also do it the other way to ensure ALL the air is out.

Posted Image

#15 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

Tom, I was getting the exact same problem in the Outback when I had it. Only seemed to happen in hot weather. I havent had it with my B4 yet though.
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#16 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

You can buy a one person brake/clutch bleeder, its basically a tube with a one way valve that goes into the jar of clean fluid.

Otherwise you will probably need 2 people to bleed it. I think, or so ive learnt.

Another way is to just put the tube into the fluid in a jar and open the bleed nipple and then get in the car and pump away. i did this in my mini with empty/new brake lines throughout and it works but i would also do it the other way to ensure ALL the air is out.

Never really trust the 'one man' bleeders.

With two people you can be more confident of no air in the system.

Pumping it through works as you mentioned.

#17 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:03 PM

Never really trust the 'one man' bleeders.

With two people you can be more confident of no air in the system.

Pumping it through works as you mentioned.

Yeah never used one myself, but if theres no other option.

I've also seen bleeders on the mini forums which work by pressurising the master cly container.

personally i think pumping through new fluid would flush the system as well as bleed it, eliminating contaminants and air both at once :)

Posted Image

#18 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

Any ideas? (clutch is only around 3000k's old, and it happened before i got it put in)

My clutch is nearly 140,000k's old, and also does something like this.
As everything warms up i could swear that the pickup point gets closer
to the floor <_< .
But i might just be imagining it?
If it's broke use a cable tie.

#19 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

But i might just be imagining it?

Not imagining it :P

Seems to be a pretty common issue, no matter how old the clutch is...

#20 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

Time to buy a gen 2 guys :) :P

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users