46 replies to this topic

#1 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

hey everyone, Im in need of some advice about billies. my current sspension is on the way out and ill need to replace it soonish so ive been having a look on Import Monster at billies. there are some cheap setups out of BG5 GT-B's but unsure on the quality of them because well the "engrish" sucks. im bringing this up because i was just reading a thread and soop mentioned to never buy second hand struts without knowing that there in great shape, which got me thinking. So im wondering if anyone has bought any struts off IM and if they were any good. any help would be much appreciated :) cheers guys. P.s. school sucks

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#2 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

Generally look at the visual condition of the strut. If its filthy, I'd just assume its stuffed. Have a quick flick through the "Engrish" and see if you can find how far they traveled. They should be good 100k km's easy, so anything less than that should be sweet. IMO.
TSM

#3 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

Mate just buy new KYB excel G's and a set of lowered springs(Kings,Pedders,etc) unless you are going to trackwork your car,the KYB's will cope easy. Swaybars are best "bang for buck" suspension mod you can do on a std car.

#4 boost

boost

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:cars with boost, cars that need no boost, etc..

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

Generally look at the visual condition of the strut.
If its filthy, I'd just assume its stuffed.

If it's been cleaned, buy it?

IM bilsteins.. hmm.. rebuild them and you're all good..

Chance it and see how you go...

Or as claydog says, get new ones for about $700 for kyb (oem manufacturer)
AWD + BOOST = SEXY TIME

#5 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:35 AM

I think most things from Yahoo auctions are ok - from what I know, the large majority of sellers on there are fairly honest (unlike the world of eBay). The Bilsteins will give a better ride than the KYBs.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon EOS 5D Mark | Canon 1D Mark III
16-35mm f/2.8L |24-70mm f/2.8L
85mm f/1.2L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX-II | 430EX-II x2 | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

#6 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

how much to rebuild billies? im guessing i have to send them interstate for that aswell. is that $700 just for KYB shocks? Excel G's??? Im leaning towards the billies mainly because i can get them ceahper off IM but if rebuilding costs a bt it might not be the smartest idea for me. claydog, i would et some sway bars but my shocks are shagged so thats why im planning on upgrading them soon

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#7 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

how much to rebuild billies? im guessing i have to send them interstate for that aswell. is that $700 just for KYB shocks? Excel G's??? Im leaning towards the billies mainly because i can get them ceahper off IM but if rebuilding costs a bt it might not be the smartest idea for me.

claydog, i would et some sway bars but my shocks are shagged so thats why im planning on upgrading them soon

Didn't Shane (SLORS) have a set of billies and pinks for sale.
I'll sms him.

#8 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

Didn't Shane (SLORS) have a set of billies and pinks for sale.
I'll sms him.

would be ideal :). would be great if you could find out. cheers :D

#9 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:00 PM

I sms'd him he said he was going to come and have a look at the new site.

#10 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

sweet thanks mate. Im assuming there still up for sale?

#11 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

Sorry Mate it appears he has sold these. Good luck on your hunt !!!!!

#12 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

ahh that sucks. thanks anyway :)

#13 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

If you are buying Used shocks of ebay Im or what ever, your looking at a picture of them. So that tells you that u are buying a cat in a bag unless you can go and look at them feel them and so forth, id say that IM and the people that sell stuff on there are usually good as most jap cars have done under 100kms but sat in jap traffic for years so shocks should be okay. i think Kosti was looking at redoing his rear billies and he got quoted $500 each i think or the pair unsure on that exactlly, but id say it be $$$. P.s dont take soops advice and buying stuff if it looks clean or dirty.

#14 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:33 PM

What I meant by that, is if they're obviously greasy, I'd steer clear.
TSM

#15 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

What I meant by that, is if they're obviously greasy, I'd steer clear.

well the write that not half arse advice

#16 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

If you are buying Used shocks of ebay Im or what ever, your looking at a picture of them. So that tells you that u are buying a cat in a bag unless you can go and look at them feel them and so forth, id say that IM and the people that sell stuff on there are usually good as most jap cars have done under 100kms but sat in jap traffic for years so shocks should be okay.

i think Kosti was looking at redoing his rear billies and he got quoted $500 each i think or the pair unsure on that exactlly, but id say it be $$$.

P.s dont take soops advice and buying stuff if it looks clean or dirty.

yeah thats one draw back of IM, not being able to see the goods with your own two eyes. i guess its all just food for thought on weather to chance it on IM or pay some extra money to get some that i can have a look at here. which is why i have this thread for some extra info :)

thanks guys

#17 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

yeah thats one draw back of IM, not being able to see the goods with your own two eyes. i guess its all just food for thought on weather to chance it on IM or pay some extra money to get some that i can have a look at here. which is why i have this thread for some extra info :)

thanks guys

comes down to a decision, to get more Bang for your buck

#18 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

i think Kosti was looking at redoing his rear billies and he got quoted $500 each i think or the pair unsure on that exactlly, but id say it be $$$.

P.s dont take soops advice and buying stuff if it looks clean or dirty.

$380 a pair from the licenced Bilstein distributor here in Sydney, although you could probably get them done at most suspension shops to varying degrees of quality...

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#19 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:19 PM

dont forget that place you need to take the struts out yourself and leave them there for like a week.
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#20 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:35 PM

i've found a place near newcastle that will sell me a set of billies, delivered to my house for $625 with a 3 month warranty... KM are uncertain as the place that i'm getting them from imports them from japan does this sound like a good deal?? (i think i may be able to get them a little cheaper if i tell them i'll be advertising them on this forum) i'll tell you guys more about the place once i've got them (don't want anyone to get in before me and get these billies)

2mmwi1w.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users