Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 10 Dec 2009

except that i won't have a car!

Insurance money FTW

buzzda's Photo buzzda 10 Dec 2009

except that i won't have a car!

Tis but a minor detail...

it won't ping anymore! B)

natho's Photo natho 11 Dec 2009

checked the timing belt out. the I and II marks line up as per the diagram in the factory manual. in other words no individual cam has slipped a tooth. I can only assume that the crank is lined up with the cams, there doesnt appear to be any mark on the crank pulley, and i don't really feel like pulling off everything required to see the gear on the crank. also started it with the passenger side cover off and gave the engine a rev, the belt is not loose at all (as with the tensioner problem i've heard the bugeye's have). no camshaft error since changing the sensor. IAM has also stayed at 16, but about half a dozen cells in the fine learning table show timing reduction due to knock. i guess the hot weather next week will be the test. i don't think this has fixed it, though.

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 12 Dec 2009

and i don't really feel like pulling off everything required to see the gear on the crank.

Dont you have a TDC marker on the flywheel, and a window near the bell housing to see it???
The fact that both cams are still in phase with each other would indicate that the cam timing has not moved, but unless you compare to the crank you can't be sure.

natho's Photo natho 12 Dec 2009

Dont you have a TDC marker on the flywheel, and a window near the bell housing to see it???
The fact that both cams are still in phase with each other would indicate that the cam timing has not moved, but unless you compare to the crank you can't be sure.

no idea. Haven't done much work on Subarus. There's a lot of stuff back there with the TT system and TMIC etc. Any hints on where to look for it? Knowing the cams are in phase I could just take off the passenger side cover and check it's lined up, as long as I can get a TDC reference somewhere!

Never had a look at a TT but the n/a have a retangular rubber bung, that faces the front, near the back of the block above where the flywheel would be. Remove the bung, sometimes they get hard with heat and age, and when you turn the motor by hand you should see the marks appear. Do you have a workshop manual? I'd put up a pic but my laptop is dead. Anyone?

i have a factory workshop manual but it doesn't seem to make reference to looking for a TDC mark on the flywheel.

Strange. Did you have a look on the car?

yep. all i can see is a couple of turbos, an intercooler, and a ridiculous amount of hoses. can't see much more.

Hahaha. Must be why I bought a n/a! Sorry mate, having never seen one there's not much more I could suggest.

B4TT's Photo B4TT 13 Dec 2009

there is an inspection bung on the B4's :D look under the IC and amoungst shit. also there is a timing mark on the crank pully, its just mostly hidden and at the very back of the pully and for some odd reason appears to be hardly visible from the front, best way to keep track of it is to find it then put some white out in there to make it stand out.

natho's Photo natho 13 Dec 2009

there is an inspection bung on the B4's :D look under the IC and amoungst shit.
also there is a timing mark on the crank pully, its just mostly hidden and at the very back of the pully and for some odd reason appears to be hardly visible from the front, best way to keep track of it is to find it then put some white out in there to make it stand out.

ugh. I guess I'll need to have a good look again. All this makes me miss the simplicity of my old vl turbo... 187rwkw on the factory tune with no pinging, only a catback, cooler, and boost increase. It was so easy to work on too!

Still, the b4 is a much nicer car overall...

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 13 Dec 2009

Still, the b4 is a much nicer car overall...

Hell yeah

natho's Photo natho 17 Dec 2009

so my quest to check the cam timing continues. I eventually did find the notch on the crankshaft pulley. however it in no way lines up with the timing marks when the cams are aligned. i can't remember exactly how far out it is, but it's enough to not be able to see it while the cams are lined up. so it looks like you can't use the mark on the pulley to check the alignment of the cams to crank. i don't recall seeing a keyway on any of the crankshaft pulley pictures i've seen on forums etc so maybe it's only accurate if you line it up with the timing marks when re-fitting it. also found the rubber plug over the flywheel. it was the part i was looking at before, however the rubber is so hard it didn't feel like rubber. ended up being a TMIC off job to get it back on though... looks like the flywheel hasn't been put on in the same position as factory. i did see a painted white dot on the flywheel but it didn't line up with the mark on the crankshaft pulley, and wasn't visible in the window when the cams were lined up. look like it's crankshaft pulley off to double check this.... one for the christmas break, i think.