←  Anything Goes

Suby Club

»

Calling all Geekazoids.

Alex's Photo Alex 03 Jan 2010

Looking for a Media Streamer.

A device that you plug into your TV that allows you to watch/listen to media content from a pc/mac/hdd.

Needs:
802.11n Wi-Fi wireless capability
Remote
Stupidly Easy interface
Simple to set up
Huge levels of capability with media formats
Cost effective and good LOCAL support.

Don't really need a device with a built in HDD.

This is really only going to go into the spare room where there's no AV antenna. Just want it to stream media from a network HDD.

I searched around, found the usual garbage on eBay, and I'm very sus about their wares.

I'm also aware of the Netgear EVA2000 receiver but I've heard that they're not that great, they require a USB wireless dongle which is extra, and my personal experiences with netgear hasn't been very good at all. So I'd rather avoid it.

Also considered Apple TV, but not happy with its features versus its pricetag. Although its simplicity in connectivity and use does appeal a lot.

So.... what else is there?

alexGT's Photo alexGT 03 Jan 2010

What sort of connection are you after to the TV? HDMI or VGA w/RCA audio?

legacy rsk's Photo legacy rsk 03 Jan 2010

alex i use a ps3. i downloaded some software called ps3 server loaded it onto my p.c and it play 99% of the content on my PC. i use lan from p.c to router them lan to ps3 cheers shane

Shiv's Photo Shiv 03 Jan 2010

I too use my PS3 and it works a treat. I'm not sure if its up to the requirements outlined in your post but its most definately "easy to use" and "simple to set up". Mine does it through my households wireless network and evenso, it works seemlessly. It plays your average 700mb video file just fine, however, larger files (1GB+) is sometimes a problem as it skips a lot.

Adam's Photo Adam 03 Jan 2010

X Box also does it, though i find it clunky to set up and not wireless without the additional adapter. I'm not sure about compatibility with files either.

Alex's Photo Alex 03 Jan 2010

not looking at purchasing an xbox/ps. any other suggestions?

Cam.'s Photo Cam. 04 Jan 2010

Media centers are always great, And very cheap!

Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 04 Jan 2010

Media centers are always great, And very cheap!

I agree, Buy a cheap little pc with a huge hard drive and put all your shit onto it, plug into 50" Pioneer Plasma = Win

Alex's Photo Alex 04 Jan 2010

forking rodents. no!

alexGT's Photo alexGT 04 Jan 2010

then bite the bullet you tightass get an appletv. check apple storeo for a refurb get em bit cheaper and with full warranty.. alt use ebay for one get one from the states

Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 04 Jan 2010

Apple TV has a tiny hard drive for the price and its probably not easily upgradable

Alex's Photo Alex 04 Jan 2010

I don't think AppleTV will play all my weird and wonderful downloaded formats.

ams's Photo ams 05 Jan 2010

I don't think AppleTV will play all my weird and wonderful downloaded formats.

PS3. Srsly.

As someone who's put a lot of research into finding a good media center that does all the things you want (mostly playing downloaded content) a PS3 is honestly your best most effective and future-proof way to go.

Think - if they release a new codec for downloaded content in 3 months time, most of the cheaper media players are not upgradeable...meaning throw away.

A PS3 is completely driven from the PC/Mac meaning if the PC can play it - the PS3 can play it. If you decide to move it to a full home theater setup, it'll do that quite happily too through HDMI, will also do full DTS/whatever other surround sound you want.

LINKS TO MEDIA SERVER SOFTWARE

LINKS TO THE STATIONS ON EBAY

- Alex.

BaronVonChickenPants's Photo BaronVonChickenPants 05 Jan 2010

AppleTV can be hacked to run XBMC which will play just about everything, not sure if they have N wifi though. There are also devices from Western Digital and Mediagate that can do what your after, some with wireless, some without, some with hdd's, some without, not sure on how extensive their format support is but most claim to do Hi Def. For the money though I would look at building something with an Atom330 CPU, a PCI Wireless N card (some even come with wireless), 2Gb RAM and as much or as little HDD as you feel necessary, then run the latest build of XBMC. Jordan.

Pete S's Photo Pete S 05 Jan 2010

Just go for the PS3, very nice interface and it plays everything. It can be run wireless but I opted to go for network cable as when playing mkv (blu ray) files the transfer speed is at it's best. I wouldn't bother with a HTPC, my brand new pc doesn't even play blu rays as smooth as the ps3 does.