#1 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

Went to the smash repairers today for them to inspect my front bar as it has shown up with stress lines 8 months after the repair. Ive booked it in for the 19th and 20th of this month and they are going to redo it for me - free of charge. It appears the 'cracks' have appeared because of a minor incident - of which i was not there to witness - though it may have happened even before it was on my car as it is a second hand bar.

Seeing as though the paint wouldve already be mixed up, i asked about getting my bonnet resprayed while i was there because it is quite blemished. Looks like someones thrown an egg at it and there are 'crows feet' all over it. All occured before i bought it of course :P

They quoted me $350 for this. Seems on the high side just for the bonnet? I have no experience with anything like this though and it might be reasonable? At that price it isnt fitting into the budget so i wont get it done but wondering if that is what i would be expecting to pay?

Note - it must be stripped back to bare metal because of the weather damage over the years.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#2 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

I paid 600 for my whole front end to be resprayed :) but got other quotes, of 800-900

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#3 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

sounds about right i think, i mean they are probably going a bit higher just cause your in for insurance fix so they will try to recoup some $$ but talk to the guys who will do the work, instead of the boss/reception. see if they will do a cashy job ;) you wont get a warranty on something like that though so its at your own risk sounds about right i think, i mean they are probably going a bit higher just cause your in for insurance fix so they will try to recoup some $$ but talk to the guys who will do the work, instead of the boss/reception. see if they will do a cashy job ;) you wont get a warranty on something like that though so its at your own risk
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#4 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:00 AM

$350 is cheap. Do you want the Painter to work for nothing?
TSM

#5 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:03 AM

Sounds close to the mark... My bro sprayed his own car/with a family friend (ex spray painter) in primer to cut costs. All he had to do was buy the paint. Less than $100 All the prep work before painting is where all the cost come into it... Its more labour costs than anything.

#6 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:53 AM

My bonnet was 500 on my old car, And that was mates rates (we knew the owner) Was a perfect job though

#7 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

$350 is a good price if theyre taking it back to bare, not just a rub back. Theres a bit of work involved there.

OEM+

#8 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:59 AM

does that include blending in the front guards aswell? otherwise there is a chance you will get a colour difference between the guards and bonnet...

MY07 GT spec B

#9 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:34 AM

Depending on the work they are doing for that price it seems like good value. I payed $1200 for front bumper, grille, bonnet, drivers rear quarter(with a bit of body work) and all blended in over the other panels in metallic silver. So $350 is good.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#10 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

does that include blending in the front guards aswell? otherwise there is a chance you will get a colour difference between the guards and bonnet...

If its a half decent job they shouldn't need to "blend it in" They should be able to colour match it perfectly.

#11 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

They quoted me $350 for this. Seems on the high side just for the bonnet? I have no experience with anything like this though and it might be reasonable? At that price it isnt fitting into the budget so i wont get it done but wondering if that is what i would be expecting to pay?

Note - it must be stripped back to bare metal because of the weather damage over the years.

In my experience, thats a good price but it all depends on the quality of their work.

I paid about $500 for a respray of my bonnet, and that was high quality work which is visibly flawless. It included a full vehicle detail of the exterior.

If its a half decent job they shouldn't need to "blend it in" They should be able to colour match it perfectly.

Exactly.

I've found that its cheaper to pay more and get the job done at a place that will blend the colour properly, rather than pay less (per panel) and end up painting more panels.

If the shop wants to blend in the front guards as well, I suggest you look elsewhere...

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#12 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

They were mentioning blending the guards. But then they mentioned they should be able to get a pretty spot on colour. They have to do the front bar anyway. Probably wont be going ahead with it at this stage but it is good to know. Thanks guys

IM47Gcv.jpg

#13 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Shuddap retard.
99% of the time its near impossible to get the clour to match that well. Its just more economic to blend.
$350 is a good price. By the time you work out what the materials cost, and how much the painter makes out of it. Its sweet fark all.
TSM

#14 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

no offence mate but you actually need to know a little about spray painting cars. the colour is never going to be the same you can't get the colour straight from the factory and just be the same.. $350 definately is a good price to get such a large panel done by a proper shop and not a backyard job but i'd be questioning if its just the bonnet alone or if they will blend in the guards too.

Shuddap retard.
99% of the time its near impossible to get the clour to match that well. Its just more economic to blend.
$350 is a good price. By the time you work out what the materials cost, and how much the painter makes out of it. Its sweet fark all.

+1
this is from a painter too guys ^

MY07 GT spec B

#15 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

Depends where i go i suppose, The standard must be better here than in the 'gong :P I'll post pics of my old bonnet, Where they just striped back to bare metal and just painted the bonnet, Looks like it came out of the factory - perfect amount of metalic/sparkle etc.

#16 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Depends where i go i suppose,
The standard must be better here than in the 'gong :P

I'll post pics of my old bonnet, Where they just striped back to bare metal and just painted the bonnet, Looks like it came out of the factory - perfect amount of metalic/sparkle etc.

all depends on the painter and what they prefer. also different colours are also easier to blend than others as they have different layers in the paint.

MY07 GT spec B

#17 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

Whats the hardest colour to blend Mr. Soop? There seems to be a lot of greens

#18 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

It doesn't really make a great deal of difference as to the colour. Metalics are harder then solid colours. Pearls are harder again, particularly 3layer pearls. So on and so forth.
TSM

#19 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

It doesn't really make a great deal of difference as to the colour. Metalics are harder then solid colours. Pearls are harder again, particularly 3layer pearls. So on and so forth.

Sorry I should of pointed out in a bit more detail. As paul has said ^^

MY07 GT spec B

#20 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:46 PM

i think silver is the hardest to match, it is much less forgiving especially under fluorescent light. i have seen a couple of jobs and one on a members car, he is insured with shannons and had choice of his own repairer so he took it to a friend in the painting business.. from memory he mentioned it was only a small scratch on the rear qtr, but to get it right they blended the rear quarter, door, roof, other side door and other side quarter (maybe the boot too he can comment if he wants) but we were standing talking outside one night and he mentioned you could see the blending.. true to his word, the front of the car was different to the rear. also remember they cant just mix as per factory codes, much of the time the color wont be the same due to environmental differences throughout the cars life.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users