←  Twin Turbo

Suby Club

»

anyone ever had a busted ECV?

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 21 Jan 2010

hey guys, im 99% sure the ECV is loose and leaking exhaust out the side. I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced a failed one and can describe to me what it sounded like ect. Just want to know its this before i start pulling thins apart. Im getting a LOUD rattle under load which sounds like a cricket which goes silent once in sequential operation. Its only slightly audible at idle but obviously gets louder until the ECV is open all the way. I can also hear an exhaust leak from around that area but i know its not the up-pipe as it had one made which wont break. Anyone else be able to contribute experiences?

hawks_123's Photo hawks_123 22 Jan 2010

I had the valve in the up-fail on the B4, Rattled like crazy, i coundn't get any boost until changeover. Then i would get full boost in one hit. I got 2 ECV's (round canister thing) spare if you want one.

buzzda's Photo buzzda 22 Jan 2010

had mine go too, same symptoms as "Hawks" (no boost till c/over), the rattle in mine was pretty loud at idle (could easily hear it standing next to the car) but didn't get louder as it opened.

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 22 Jan 2010

im thinking the valve has failed or become loose becuase the actuater arm is still able to hold it mostly shut, but its noisy as hell under load! Its still staying closed when it should be but obviously when its open the boost fluctuates a bit on the secondary. I think the track day put alot of stress on it :/

robt's Photo robt 22 Jan 2010

Why don't you adjust it? Just feel if it is loose and and get a couple of spanners to tighten it. Ask Billsy.

i have a feeling its not a matter of adjustment as the adjusters have never been moved. I think something like a bearing or seal of some sort is busted in the mechanism inside the ECV as i can hear an external exhaust leak, aswell as evidence of exhaust leakage around where the actuator arm binds to the ECV valve mechanism.

robt's Photo robt 22 Jan 2010

But can you move the ECV arm? Mine is tight and is adjusted properly. Just an idea.

But can you move the ECV arm? Mine is tight and is adjusted properly. Just an idea.

I havent had a thorough look yet but i had a quick feel to check the tension on the arm and it felt okay, although i didnt check to see if the adjusters were loose?

robt's Photo robt 23 Jan 2010

Jim here is your fix. ECV

Billsy's Photo Billsy 03 Feb 2010

ecv's do break. ive seen a couple break the weld internally where the arm is spot welded onto the shaft. this leaves tha flapper loose and lets the exhaust gas sneak by it is repairable, but easier to swap over another.

Jimbo's Photo Jimbo 07 Feb 2010

false alarm , ended up just being the gasket between the ECV and up-pipe flapping around. One of the nuts was missing and the other one was getting loose, so big exhaust leak under there. fixed now!