13 replies to this topic

#1 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

Was just playing some google last night and i stumbled across something you guys might find helpful.

WRX engine into almost any Subaru Chassis

Idea for this thread is to post up all the information and how to's you find about Engine and Running gear transplants.

Want this thread to be a information thread, not a thread for discussion.
Posted Image
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#2 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

How did i get a notification email about this? I didn't even post or subscribe :sarcastic:

#3 camoshop

camoshop

camoshop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Art, Tattoos, Bicycles, Cars

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

you must just be special tom hahah

#4 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

Ty, as far as I am aware any EJ20 / EJ25 will fit in to any subaru chassis that was delivered with a similar engine (EJ20/25). Same goes with the 5 speed manual and 4 / 5 speed auto's. The wiring and ECU's of course will need to change - sometimes by only a few wires, others by a complete overhaul. Sometimes a different crossmember is required (Gen2 Liberty GX / LX crossmember is not suitable for turbo ej20 for example, but the Gen2 RX has the turbo crossmember already in place). If you start swapping crossmembers and hubs you have an even greater number of options. Where things start getting difficult is the 6 speed manuals (Different mounts, slightly different exhaust configuration, slightly different clutch setup, different hubs) and I believe the H6 motors require a level of customisation not required for the 4 cyl motors. Hope this information helps. Dylan

#5 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

thats all good, but realistically its pretty expensive to go putting GD gear into pre 99 liberty/impreza. its been proven over and over for bang for buck and ease of installation to use GC8/GF8 Halfcuts and running gear as it just simply works better. But this is in no way just a simple straight swap with a fair few things not lining up, different part numbers and various wiring mods you best do a lot of reading and make sure you are mechanically sound before you go attempting this sort of conversion. I highly recommend doing this with more than one person to help you, not only for an extra set of hands but for an extra set of eyes if you are doing unfamiliar work... similar to the saying measure twice cut once :D i did the whole conversion on my car (bar the wiring mods from Al) including stripping down an engine to check its condition and also bolting everything up to a bare long motor then into the car...

MY07 GT spec B

#6 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:03 PM

Just to clarify, im not doing this conversion... it just got me thinking that it could be helpful and get some more tech talk here. Myself i am going to grab something from 97-99 rex or sti when something comes along at the right price/time/location but that will be a whole different thread ;)

#7 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

Just to clarify, im not doing this conversion... it just got me thinking that it could be helpful and get some more tech talk here.

Myself i am going to grab something from 97-99 rex or sti when something comes along at the right price/time/location but that will be a whole different thread ;)

as fun as the conversion was and an awesome result that i got out of my car, you really can't beat the rex for its chuckability and better response to mods. there are tonnes more bolt ons and various parts are available for the rex. the GD chassis is 200% stiffer than the GC Chassis which also only has a 2-Star ANCAP rating.

MY07 GT spec B

#8 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

as fun as the conversion was and an awesome result that i got out of my car, you really can't beat the rex for its chuckability and better response to mods. there are tonnes more bolt ons and various parts are available for the rex. the GD chassis is 200% stiffer than the GC Chassis which also only has a 2-Star ANCAP rating.

True. Weren't the Gen2 Liberty / Legacy's the lowest safety rating of all the Libs to date? Swear I heard / read that somewhere - would love someone to clarify.

#9 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

Ancap Gen 3 - 4 Star Gen 4 - 5 Star Thats all i know :P

#10 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

True. Weren't the Gen2 Liberty / Legacy's the lowest safety rating of all the Libs to date? Swear I heard / read that somewhere - would love someone to clarify.

here is a little info on the safety (sorry for the O/T)

GC Impreza - 2 STAR Safety Rating http://www.howsafeis...lt.php?IID=1587
BD/G Lib - 3 STAR Safety Rating http://www.howsafeis...lt.php?IID=1600
BC/F Lib - 3 STAR Safety Rating http://www.howsafeis...lt.php?IID=1595

MY07 GT spec B

#11 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

^^ LOL

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#13 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

I converted my old 1800 Touring wagon from a 4 speed manual to a 5 speed manual from a forester... mounting wasnt too bad, linkages and tail shaft had to be customised as did the CV's

#14 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

I converted my old 1800 Touring wagon from a 4 speed manual to a 5 speed manual from a forester... mounting wasnt too bad, linkages and tail shaft had to be customised as did the CV's

New thread with pics?

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users