11 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

Replaced the belts. It started to squeal on startup from cold. Would only last about a couple of seconds. Over the week its getting increasingly louder. I've managed to isolate the culprit belt... its the PS/ALT/Harmonic balancer belt. Replaced both belts with better quality Bosch items. I'm wondering....what could be causing the squeal? Belts too tight? Belts too loose? Bunged Alternator? I've got a gut feeling it could be the alternator... although it doesn't appear to have any looseness/free play/tightness/frangipanis. Whaddya reckon? Cheers Alex

#2 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

Bloody annoying eh!? My A/C belt was doing that, mine would also give a little screech when the compressor kicked in whilst driving. I tightened it and it fixored it. It's started to happen again now but my tensioner bolt is as far out as it can be so I'll have to get another belt on there soon (I suspect a slightly longer belt has been put on for some reason.... :dash2: ).

#3 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Too loose, pulleys misaligned, pulleys worn, or alternator taking a lot of effort to get going causing it to slip on start up.

#4 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

screwdriver onto the alternator and put your ear up against it, should be able to isolate where it is coming from. mechanics stethoscope :D

MY07 GT spec B

#5 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

tighten it man.... if it only started after you replaced the belts then I would be confident in it being too loose... couple of turns of the tightening bolt each time. you dont want to over tighten it but you dont want it too loose either.

#6 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

Rub some chalk over the inside of your belt, might fix it for a little while until the belt wears in.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#7 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

Arex, make sure its not hacking the shit out of your timing belt covers too!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#8 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:50 AM

Yo Alex, apart from the above posts to check the tension of the belt, if all seems fine, most new belts will screech a little for a couple days until they bed in properly, There is a special spray you can get from supercrap called Belt Quietener / or Stop Squeel, spray this on the underside of the belt (part touching the cogs) or both sides if they both touch, Works a treat, and will keep it hush until it's ready to be quiet on it's own

#9 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:29 PM

tightened them up. all is good. spanks.

#10 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

LOL... Alex Alex Alex........ You Nub :P Sall good man :D

#11 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

Yo Alex, apart from the above posts to check the tension of the belt, if all seems fine, most new belts will screech a little for a couple days until they bed in properly,

There is a special spray you can get from supercrap called Belt Quietener / or Stop Squeel, spray this on the underside of the belt (part touching the cogs) or both sides if they both touch,

Works a treat, and will keep it hush until it's ready to be quiet on it's own

Chalk does the same stuff as the spray just cheaper :)

good to hear it's all sorted

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#12 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

Or a stick of dri-lube :P but yeah not much beats tightening them, 99.99% of the time when a belt squeels its because the belt is too loose. "Too loose, pulleys misaligned, pulleys worn, or alternator taking a lot of effort to get going causing it to slip on start up. " not sure how you could mis-align the pulleys on a subaru, worn pullies would probably make a lot more noise and generally a shitty bearing grinding sound likewise with the alternator, the sound shithouse once they are gone. Still good points to bring up however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users