17 replies to this topic

#1 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

As you may have heared, an Australian drag racer in the United states was involved in an accident were six people were tragicly killed.
The authorities had charged him with six counts of homicide. There were various partitions started to keep Troy out of prison.
Well good news. The charges have been dropped.

Here's the full story.

The Queensland-born, Texas-based Critchley was facing life in prison, but in a plea deal agreed upon with Tennessee prosecutors today and supported by families of the victims, he was sentenced to one year of probation and a suspended one year jail sentence.

http://www.theage.co...80813-3ucr.html
TSM

#2 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:00 PM

Good stuff, I actually feel so sorry for the bloke.. it was an "accident", which basically means it was Accidental! he didn't mean to do it, and look at the setup, there were no safety barriers or anything.. if anything the US govt should be held repsonisble and event organisers.

#3 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

Good stuff,

I actually feel so sorry for the bloke.. it was an "accident", which basically means it was Accidental! he didn't mean to do it,

and look at the setup, there were no safety barriers or anything.. if anything the US govt should be held repsonisble and event organisers.

Yup. Agreed totally.

#4 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:36 PM

Did you see the interview on 60 minutes? The guy was heart broken. He'll have to live with that for the rest of his life. It was just a nasty accident. If you want to blame someone, blame the organisers who didnt have any barricades between the road an the spectators.

OEM+

#5 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:39 PM

Not to mention he now has no career. As if he'll ever get back into a race car, a whole life worth of ambition and work gone because an administration failed to do its job.
TSM

#6 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hes now head mechanic for his drag racing team, not driving anymore out of respect for the victims families. That says alot.

OEM+

#7 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

Good news that, I signed his petition, great guy to, my mate knows him personally. Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#8 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

yeah i feel sorry for the bloke..but we got to relise that the yanks are a DUMB STUPID race of people..nothing is normal to them bunch of inbreads

#9 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

We were stoked when we found out that he wasn't convicted. He didn't deserve it.... the wrong thing is that the families are going to try and get compensation from him.

Just Married

#10 Turtlez!!

Turtlez!!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

This was the guy on 60 mins, talking about that charity burnout, that went horribly wrong ?? If so. Americans need to learn wtf a car is, Its large and has a lot of power, of course its going to kill people actually. It does kill people. But if you watched the footage you see kids on the side of the road in front of safety barriers. They had it coming that's all i have to say. I seriously was swearing at that lady, I know what its like to lose a loved one, but to blame him solely is cold. Its good to hear he isn't getting a big sentence.

#11 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:53 PM

...and look at the setup, there were no safety barriers or anything.. if anything the US govt should be held repsonisble and event organisers.

I had heard that the police set up the track and his lawyer was going to argue the police should be held responsible for not setting up the appropriate safety barriers.

In saying that, he should have taken 1 look at the 'track' and said hella no. It looked like a 1980's WRC track with people standing that close to the road, he would have known throwing a few thousand horsepower down that truck _might_ cause bad things to happen.

Dont get me wrong, i'm not at all for locking him up or holding him solely responsible, but he really should have thought twice before laying a huge burnout that close to people...

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#12 cracka

cracka

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:F1, MOTO GP.

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:30 AM

it's crazy stuff i know, all comes down to personal accountability. if the spectators know it's wrong, the organisers knows it's wrong, hell your boss knows it's wrong,,,,your the one who's gonna wear it if it goes wrong 'cause you were drivin'. in there eye's someone has to pay and the buck will stop with Troy i'm afraid. he's been lucky so far over there .
Nothing left to break .

#13 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:14 PM

There was a petition going on Benaraby Raceway website for the support of Troy.I'm pretty sure all Australian raceway websites had the same petition going which apparently helped his cause. There is also a letter from Peter Perano about the facts that people who attend these events know they are dangerous but still pay there money to go through the gate.I'll see if I can find it !!!

#14 liberty3

liberty3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

its good thats there will be no charges but now he is open to law suits from the families.....could be millions and millions.....whats the poor guy going to do about that?
get to the point before i stop caring

#15 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:41 PM

its great he avoided jail, i cant believe how poorly the road was set up where the accident occurred, there wasn't even any water filled barricades....

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#16 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:59 AM

For those who have no idea what this thread is about, I found 'tube footage.

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=soxtQ2tMTf4

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#17 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:58 PM

This is from Claydog, I re-sized it as best I could for him.

Posted Image

That look alright mate?

Personally I agree 150% with this article.
Stupidity should never be a reason to be excused.
TSM

#18 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

This is from Claydog, I re-sized it as best I could for him.

Posted Image

That look alright mate?

Personally I agree 150% with this article.
Stupidity should never be a reason to be excused.

Cheers Paul.
This article was published in Dragster Australia on 15 Aug 08.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users