• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

The NSW Police have reintroduced aerial speed enforcement to catch speeding motorists. Here are two similar articles which give you all the details you Sydneysiders should know - both dated 8th April. http://www.westernwe...sk=view&id=1655 http://www.penrithst...es/1796946.aspx So now, catching speeding motorists is of such importance to our government that they're employing pilots and flying planes just to catch them. I thought our government was running out of money so why are they spending money....oh wait - REVENUE RAISING! Nicely played... Why not spend that money making our roads safer or educating drivers?

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

You're right Shiv. It is extremely backwards. I remember hearing that a chopper is the single most uneconomical vehicle to operate. I saw Police show the other night where hoons were caught doing burnouts in residential streets. They ran into another car and it was all on heat detecting cameras. The hoons were caught and charged but the cost of the means to do so arly outweighed the damage. ...unless there is a life taken. But there wasnt...

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

Umm they look like cessna's to me, not choppers. They probably use less fuel than a 7ish litre Patrol Car speeding up and down the highway catching people. Although i think a presence on the ground and slowing people down at the time is more effective than sending a letter that they will get in 2 weeks time. Have fun New South Walians :sarcastic: ;)
If it's broke use a cable tie.

#4 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

Umm they look like cessna's to me, not choppers.

Correct.
My previous reply was made on my Nokia hence link was not opened.
My apologies

IM47Gcv.jpg

#5 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi, Poofter capital of Australia. Cheers, Nik

#6 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:41 PM

i thought that was WA Nik ;)

#7 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

Hi, Not sure mate, but I think you'll find the Mardi Gras is in Shidakneee. Either way. Let em go. Cheers, Nik

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

haha as if .. The NSW governments budget for this probably only extends to road markings and signs. Sif have a plane flying back forth across the Hume Highway and another on the F3 is economical. Imagine what they would have to pay the pilots, fuel and all that other shit.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#9 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

fork I hate the NSW government, useless oxygen theives who are far more willing to spend money on attention grabbing rather then fixing the forking problem, DIE NSW Gayvernment

#10 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:59 AM

I saw a helicopter hovering over the freeway coming from Melbourne into Sydney today on my drive up. Didnt move the whole time..Radar??

#11 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:49 AM

I saw a helicopter hovering over the freeway coming from Melbourne into Sydney today on my drive up. Didnt move the whole time..Radar??

stuck in neutral?

#12 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

No counting the seconds from one white line to the next then calling ahead.

Posted Image

#13 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

stuck in neutral?

lol

No counting the seconds from one white line to the next then calling ahead.

Ok, I was wondering if that was it, I didnt see any other reason for them. Thanks Jesse

#14 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

They were probably eating some twinkies and didn't want to get their joystick dirty :P Yes agreed, seriously stupid waste of money, talk with your votes people, this year is the year ! I mean after all, how the hell can a half-bred yank/aussie/new zealander really run a state, give me a bloody break. Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#15 smythie

smythie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Cars, bikes, motor racing, athletics

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

This was tried 10 years or so ago on the Mid Western Hwy out of Bathurst. Wasn't effective then, even in the slightest. I'd be surprised if it will be effective now. All someone would have to do is question the accuracy of the officer running the stopwatch and it would be run out of court. Ref: hand timing in athletics. Inconsistent at the best of times. And that's with well practiced timekeepers who are not moving in relation to the reference points that they are timing athletes against. You can bet that the "highway patrol officer" they have in the plane operating the stopwatch will be inexperienced in getting (reasonably) repeatable times, probably only timed his kids at the track and wondered why the electronic timing "was a second or two out". The officer also has to deal with a fair bit of parallax error not being on the scene at the timing points. Then the officer has to deal with a not necessarily smooth ride in the plane. In short, I reckon their accuracy will be at best +/- 5% but it could easily blow out further than that

#16 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

^But Tony, surely they'd have some computer-related technology that gives a precise reading of the time? When I drive over those white markings, I can feel there is something under it (wires, sensors?). Presumably that can be linked to equipment in the plane. The article doesn't go into specifics but I would hope it'll be more precise than a Highway Patrol officer sitting in a plane with a stop watch round his neck going "one potato, two potato, three potato..." :sarcastic:

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#17 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

Hi, As stated, they tried this shit years ago. It didn't work. Cheers, Nik

#18 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

^But Tony, surely they'd have some computer-related technology that gives a precise reading of the time? When I drive over those white markings, I can feel there is something under it (wires, sensors?). Presumably that can be linked to equipment in the plane.

The article doesn't go into specifics but I would hope it'll be more precise than a Highway Patrol officer sitting in a plane with a stop watch round his neck going "one potato, two potato, three potato..." :sarcastic:

Shiv, that stuff is called paint :D

#19 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:06 PM

Shiv, that stuff is called paint :D

This.

#20 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:20 PM

This.

wheres my data log you goldfish stroker?

i think i want to do another to diagnose TPS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users