←  Electrical/Electronics

Suby Club

»

ECU Choice for custom 2.2t build in Gen2

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 01 May 2010

So when it comes to Engine stuff I'm totally lost as far as ECU's are concerned... I need to know what the choices i have? Is it possible to just get a WRX or GTB ecu and run the 2.2 on that? will a 2.0L ECU be able to run a 2.2L at all without doing damage? what stock ECU's are tune-able? What are my other options? i know a full standalone ECU is an option but from what i can see that is going to be a $3k project including Tuning, i was hoping to get it up and running a bit cheaper than that and then save to get a good tune done later on or better engine management later down the road. If i need to go Standalone how does that work? do i rip out my current NA ecu and then throw in the standalone and thats that? I have looked around on rslc and done some google work but i cant seem to find information that is relevant?

alexGT's Photo alexGT 01 May 2010

So when it comes to Engine stuff I'm totally lost as far as ECU's are concerned...

I need to know what the choices i have?

Is it possible to just get a WRX or GTB ecu and run the 2.2 on that?
will a 2.0L ECU be able to run a 2.2L at all without doing damage?
what stock ECU's are tune-able?

What are my other options?

i know a full standalone ECU is an option but from what i can see that is going to be a $3k project including Tuning, i was hoping to get it up and running a bit cheaper than that and then save to get a good tune done later on or better engine management later down the road.

If i need to go Standalone how does that work?
do i rip out my current NA ecu and then throw in the standalone and thats that?

I have looked around on rslc and done some google work but i cant seem to find information that is relevant?

$3k for a built motor and ecu with tune? your dreaaaaaaaming hate to tell ya.

running a 2.2 you will probably need a standalone ecu, there aren't any gc8 era ecu's are tunable to how you want it...

btw. why 2.2 litre?

no no no... Ecu and tune is 3k not a whole build.↲I want to go 2.2 cause i already have a 2.2 block & crank pairing with the heads i have it would turn out to be a decent build. ↲And adding forged rod's and pistons to it is only about another 1k. But mainly i thought it would be a more reliable build to run instead of pushing the 2.0 to the same figures and i have more room to pull bigger figures further down the track.

Evil_VZ-T's Photo Evil_VZ-T 01 May 2010

Autronic SM4.. Best ECU on the market! What Engine loom are you going to use? As the best thing to do would be, to buy the ECU its self and then make your own loom to suit the engine. This way its is a brand new loom so you can rule out any electrical issues that might happen later.

Autronic SM4.. Best ECU on the market!

What Engine loom are you going to use?

As the best thing to do would be, to buy the ECU its self and then make your own loom to suit the engine. This way its is a brand new loom so you can rule out any electrical issues that might happen later.

I have another complete RX loom i was going to splice and add to as needed.

With the SM4, i am reading it can do a base tune itself?

If this is the case its looking quite good cause although a bit pricey that saves some$$$ buuuuut... whats this about needing a 2grand wideband sensor?

I dont have a wideband sensor.. So im not sure what your going on about, However im going to buy a techegde wideband with controller/read out for $300... Google them, they are a canberra based company.

its a very good idea to plan first. you need a target figure so you make sure you cover all your bases. autronics are very expensive ecu's. surely a haltech will suffice. remember tune alone will probably cost you $1500!

$1500 to tune an Autronic... Geez where are you going alex... My Tune was $450, and for the EVO 6 rally car.. (launch control, Rotational idle and Anti lag activated it was $700 MAX

$1500 to tune an Autronic... Geez where are you going alex...

My Tune was $450, and for the EVO 6 rally car.. (launch control, Rotational idle and Anti lag activated it was $700 MAX

for a full custom road and dyno tune? not a quick remap we are talking here... this will be from scratch...

then you need to factor if the motor will need a run-in basemap tune, then a remap again once run-in is complete..