←  Anything Goes

Suby Club

»

Not Suby - 4AC (yeah old and slow) rebuild

B4TT's Photo B4TT 02 May 2010

The old run-about started playing up again, I knew it was the headgasket that had gone by the characteristicis it was showing.

I had a second hand low K engine I had picked up that was a RWD version, this has to go into my FWD car.

firstly I stipped down the engine that was already in the car

Posted Image
Found this in the process, this runs the distributer, not fatal but would cause the timing to fluctuate in a minor manor.

Posted Image
Stripped the cam out of this one too to make it slightly easier to get to the headstuds (not necessary)

Posted Image

The Brown shit is actually staining inside the bore, can't feel it with the finger but having corosion/stain marks in the bore is enough for me to not use that block again without a re-bore/hone so I will use the other block for this. Monotorque headgaskets always look nasty when you take the head off LOL.

Posted Image

On the left of the gasket the metal ring had split and causing the engine to loose compression/using water

Posted Image

Check the lighter coloured ring on the head, you will see where the metal ring of the headgasket met with the head, then youll see the corosion of the water jacket into that ring.... reason for headgasket failure identified :D

Sorry for the I poney images

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 27 May 2010

Hi, You're a handy dude. Nice work on the repair job and thanks for sharing the experience. Cheers, Nik