←  Engine / Driveline

Suby Club

»

Spun bearing

N/A_EJ22's Photo N/A_EJ22 23 May 2010

Hey guys, So basically my engine souds like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=UmZ1F8V8pc8&feature=related. Has ever since I bought it (30,000 ish kilometres). Drives fine just sounds like shit. Doesnt blow any smoke at all and I treat it nicely for the first 10 minutes of driving. Sell it as it is? Find another 2.2 and drop that in? How much would that cost? 1k? Burn it? And no im not converting it. Cheers, Ash.

buzzda's Photo buzzda 23 May 2010

Did you read the comments?? The noise in that vid is a belt tensioner... guy says it cost him "$500 to get it fix by a pro".... If it was a spun bearing it wouldn't "drive fine".

I did read that but all the other video's of knocks and what not on youtube have very ambiguous replies, never really coming to a conclusion. Plus the other video's all sound the same and this one seems to just be a tensioner?

buzzda's Photo buzzda 23 May 2010

The guy who uploaded it says it's a tensioner.

Spun bearing
The bearing sound is more "violent" when revved.

alexGT's Photo alexGT 23 May 2010

what oil are you running?

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 23 May 2010

Ash, Have you done an oil pressure test? Does the noise change when you disable each cylinder one by one at idle? J

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 23 May 2010

Mine has done a bearing and sounds like this......

Posted Image

Evil_VZ-T's Photo Evil_VZ-T 23 May 2010

Instead of youtubing, Go to a mechanic, Most decent ones these days shouldnt charge you to take 5 mins to diagnose the problem. if its an Idler, Put a Whole kit through it (timing belt, tensioner, all idlers) So you know its been done right. I have seen it too many times where people just replace one idler or just a timing belt, and 2 months later it has all got to come out again as another idler has failed and timing belt has gone walkabout and snapped = Valves meet pistons.

Alexxx - At the moment I think I've got some Penzoil 20-50 stuff in it. Tried 10-30, 15-40 and some Penrite oil which i cant remember at the moment. J - No i haven't done an oil pressure test and I haven't done the pull the plugs off thing. What would I be looking for if I was to do this? Mark - Sounds like that when its cold. Shuts up after 15 odd minutes. Lance - If i get a chance this week I will. Ive really only had a look into it this weekend and haven't had time to go into a workshop. I doubt its a idler because when I got it I had the 200,000km service on it and it had the belt and idlers and whatnot changed at that by a reputable workshop and it was done by there resident Subaru nut whom i go to TAFE with now so I doubt its that but i wont rule it out.

buzzda's Photo buzzda 24 May 2010

Sounds like that when its cold. Shuts up after 15 odd minutes.

Bearings don't "shut-up".

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 24 May 2010

J - No i haven't done an oil pressure test and I haven't done the pull the plugs off thing. What would I be looking for if I was to do this?

Oil pressure (engine warm) would be below the minimum standard. A spun bearing allows a large amount of oil to 'leak' past the damaged bearing causing a drop in pressure.

When you isolate each cylinder (either pull an injector plug or ignition lead [dont get zapped!!]) with the engine at idle, you should notice the noise change on the cylinder with the faulty bearing. This is because the cylinder no longer has a power stroke so the 'shock' to the bearing is no longer there, causing the noise to be less.

Very hard to diagnose using YouTube, but I dont think you are looking at a spun bearing.

Ps ....and what Buzz said.

Mosti's Photo Mosti 24 May 2010

I think my tensioner is loose or playing up. It was making a horrible noise when I started it, originally thought it had spun a bearing but there was no knocking sound. Odd thing is it comes and goes.

B4TT's Photo B4TT 24 May 2010

subies and their bearings :P When mine forked a piston it had that horrible epic knock of death sound, car drove no differently to what it normally would it just sounded like shit. Lance you forgot water pump, you don't do a timing kit without the water pump which is driven off the timing belt, they too are prone to failing which means you are doing the whole timing belt job again just for a water pump. Just take your car to a mechanic like others said, no one is going to be able to diagnose it over the net.

XXB4XX's Photo XXB4XX 08 Dec 2010

If you're going down the belt path, make sure you change ALL the tensioners and pulleys, and as stated above do the water pump too..

On my B4 when I did the 100k service the waterpump looked immaculate, but on closer inspection it was just starting to leak from the gasket..

aekOne's Photo aekOne 08 Dec 2010

haha

camoshop's Photo camoshop 08 Dec 2010

hahai had a similar issue and noise , turned out to be a loose spark plug , you never know!!!