• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

So basically just the Rev D and Rev E that can be reflashed?

Yeap. I went looking to do my car and is a no go revision B

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#22 mulligan

mulligan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:24 AM

Well the part is now installed:

Pro's:

No CEL codes at all, ECU reading all OK
Car pulls like a train from 3500-3800 RPM, never stops
NO VOD as the car feels like a single, daily driving is OK
boost is steady at 12 psi with no oscillation

Negative:

It is very loud, the muffler (Fujitsubo Legalis R) has no resonator.
It doesn't sound like a true boxer (I miss you unequal length), my car used to sound sweeeeet as butter, it's kinda harsh, ordered a HKS silent power to counter this.
there is aprox 15% more vibration than usual
The car in 3rd and 4th is scary fast, as in geez is that 180 already?

Neutral:

Gas comsuption is OK, feels

Review:

I never ever had a good experience with the sequential system, it was all over the place, even with a refurbished black box and vaccum lines, premium gas and all it was never a quick car, it felt sluggish.

I lost refinement due to the noise, but that can be cured...

If I had to pay 1000 US for this, I'd probably be ok, since it was practically free I feel happy with the performance so far.

HOWEVER a tune is necessary according to my tech to make sure fuel is correct, if this car is tuned right and I iron out all the noise this could be a seriously quick car, especially at the target 15 psi I want to run.

I'll update to keep you all informed in this manifold in case anyone decides to install one....

#23 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

Any (drivers POV) vids?

#24 mulligan

mulligan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

Any (drivers POV) vids?

I'll see if I can record one....

#25 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

I find it surprising that you're not considering reliability and longevity with this all.

The vibration you'll find is because the two turbos aren't exactly equal in size, thus not being a true parallel setup. This will ultimately decrease your longevity significantly, especially since the early rev Gen3 motors are known to be not the best EJs going.

And the Fujitsubo is loud on anything but a twin.

And its only running 12psi? What exhaust are you running?

#26 mulligan

mulligan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

I find it surprising that you're not considering reliability and longevity with this all.

The vibration you'll find is because the two turbos aren't exactly equal in size, thus not being a true parallel setup. This will ultimately decrease your longevity significantly, especially since the early rev Gen3 motors are known to be not the best EJs going.

And the Fujitsubo is loud on anything but a twin.

And its only running 12psi? What exhaust are you running?

2.5 Fujitsubo Legalis R, the Dpipes are SYMS 2.5 as well...

Longevity is something to keep my mind on, but this is a 50,000 KMs 2001 B4 with fresh turbos (I had an extra lying around from a friend's single conversion VF23, he is having a nightmare making it work..), the car was not modified prior (only an exhaust) to this and compression and leak test are perfect, the vibration I mention is barely noticeable, and it happens ONLY on IDLE, in WOT it feels exactly the same as before.

Also, you think running 1.4-1.6 BAR (like most people are) is not affecting longevity? This isn't some part made in a garage, this is a SYMS part made from excellent materials, For this car the sequential and 24 maze of vaccum lines has always been a nightmare, I was never happy with how it worked. Now with only noise to take care of and other things to tune out, I feel that it was worth it and decided to share this info as there is none outside of Japan.

Cost was zero, I installed it with a mechanic friend.

I DO NOTE, that if your sequential is running PERFECT, no VOD, no issues with the blackbox or switchover system and has a quality, I see no reason to pay for this exhuast, but in my case, I feel I have a fair trade off....

#27 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for sharing, it's good to see different things being tried and I'm glad your happy with it, but, I think a (good) tune (which you still need by the sounds of it) would've fixed the problems you've described with the TT system... Anyway, look forward to the seeing the vid. :drinks:

#28 TTimpreza

TTimpreza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:05 AM

Well the part is now installed:

Pro's:

No CEL codes at all, ECU reading all OK
Car pulls like a train from 3500-3800 RPM, never stops
NO VOD as the car feels like a single, daily driving is OK
boost is steady at 12 psi with no oscillation

Negative:

It is very loud, the muffler (Fujitsubo Legalis R) has no resonator.
It doesn't sound like a true boxer (I miss you unequal length), my car used to sound sweeeeet as butter, it's kinda harsh, ordered a HKS silent power to counter this.
there is aprox 15% more vibration than usual
The car in 3rd and 4th is scary fast, as in geez is that 180 already?

Neutral:

Gas comsuption is OK, feels

Review:

I never ever had a good experience with the sequential system, it was all over the place, even with a refurbished black box and vaccum lines, premium gas and all it was never a quick car, it felt sluggish.

I lost refinement due to the noise, but that can be cured...

If I had to pay 1000 US for this, I'd probably be ok, since it was practically free I feel happy with the performance so far.

HOWEVER a tune is necessary according to my tech to make sure fuel is correct, if this car is tuned right and I iron out all the noise this could be a seriously quick car, especially at the target 15 psi I want to run.

I'll update to keep you all informed in this manifold in case anyone decides to install one....

Hi! My name is Clodoaldo Barros,from AutoMirr for speed planning (Macau),i will install this SYMS exhaust manifold tomorrow,i want to know do you continue using the intercooler intake valve and the down pipe exhaust valve? and the ECU is working properly? and how about the engine light?

Best regards
Clodoaldo Barros

FACEBOOK http://www.facebook....ng/196226119281

#29 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

I wish i had a cool name, like Clodoaldo.

#30 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

Hi! My name is Clodoaldo Barros,from AutoMirr for speed planning (Macau),i will install this SYMS exhaust manifold tomorrow,i want to know do you continue using the intercooler intake valve and the down pipe exhaust valve? and the ECU is working properly? and how about the engine light?

Best regards
Clodoaldo Barros

FACEBOOK http://www.facebook....ng/196226119281

The 2nd turbo IC valve leave open (remove vac hose No 1 leave open to air )
Exhaust Control Valve with its BIG actuator has to be totally removed.

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#31 TTimpreza

TTimpreza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:14 AM

Hi! Mr.Walts! Thanks for your msgs,im happy! And Mr.Zazarah thanks for your reply as well,i have do the same what you suggested to do,the car is running in good performance,is just like a natural aspirated car,this header is really made for race use,top end power only :( and eliminate totally the sequential system,im planning for e-manage ecu setup,and also planning back to stock,dunno what to do....

#32 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hi! Mr.Walts! Thanks for your msgs,im happy! And Mr.Zazarah thanks for your reply as well,i have do the same what you suggested to do,the car is running in good performance,is just like a natural aspirated car,this header is really made for race use,top end power only :( and eliminate totally the sequential system,im planning for e-manage ecu setup,and also planning back to stock,dunno what to do....

Agreed the Syms headers are really for racing.
A split Twin-scroll.
What TT turbos are you using?

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#33 TTimpreza

TTimpreza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

Agreed the Syms headers are really for racing.
A split Twin-scroll.
What TT turbos are you using?

Im using the standard B4 RSK turbos,they are almost the same size,no problem at all,very stable,and still can listen the boxer rumble,is near equal lenght.

#34 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:54 PM

i read this guys ^ posts in a russian accent, hilarious!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#35 mulligan

mulligan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

A bit long term update for the SYMS, so far no issues, just that sound... the exhaust won't cure it, so I guess is now with a proper silencer that won't affect performance... the check engine light never comes in, 13-14 psi stable, compression OK...

I still maintain, if I had to pay us1500 for this, forget it...

Video coming soon!

Unless I sell the car for a new Legacy GT :P

#36 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

I'm sorry all this effort and you're running a 15.7?

I could run faster then that. My sisters VP commo runs 16 flat and its rooted.
TSM

#37 neni

neni

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

i'm runnin the syms dumps and they are bomb beat!

#38 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:38 AM

A few of the NZ guys are running parallel systems. Personally, I would prefer a tune with some sort of piggyback.

... especially since the early rev Gen3 motors are known to be not the best EJs going.

Im curious where you heard this from? I thought all BH/BE twin turbos had the same block (EJ206 and EJ208)? Biggest difference was the tune which was much more susceptible to pinging and leaning out on the late models.

#39 TTimpreza

TTimpreza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

video after installation,for the check engine light is on because of the SYMS RACING ECU trade in,is normal.

#40 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

Nice car. Bit of a different sound with those headers.
I noticed that you haven't unplugged the secondary's bypass valve. This could be causing the CEL as it will be venting all boost below 4000rpm creating uneven pressure build up between each turbo. The differential pressure sensor will notice this and throw out a code. If this is the case it will be seriously hampering performance too. I would disconnect the vac line from the black box and plug it up, then tee the bypass valve into the blow off valve coming off the intercooler.
Regards
Aaron

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)