Photo

Gen 2 Liberty Heritage:: Welcome to Narnia..

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#41 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

Right. So here is a breakdown of all the things we did throughout this conversion…

The original plan was supposed to start about two ago and was to use a 2001 WRX engine from my mates Liberty that got written off. In the end the engine was rooted so the conversion fell through and forgotten about until I saw Dylan’s conversion finally finished. I got a bit jealous and as another mate had just converted his impreza I decided I needed to get in on the boosted action too

As money was tight I thought the easiest way to go was to just do a “simple” Gen 2 1998 RX turbo conversion using a JDM Gen 2 1998 GT halfcut. Did my research regarding prices for cuts etc and felt pretty confident that I could do the whole conversion fairly fast and for a fairly low cost. Mechanical swap was obviously gonna be easy enough and wiring didn’t seem like it was gonna cause any major headaches…plenty of people have done it

I rang around some wreckers and found one that had a decent sounding cut with fairly low km’s so made the trip out to check it out. I had a pocket full of cash and was ready to buy on the spot. I got there, saw the cut, it looked great and was ready to hand over my cash until the guys said he had something else that might interest me. We went out the back were he showed me a 2001 GT-B cut with 66,000 km’s on it. SOLD…

Get the cut delivered and have a good look over it. Everything looks to be in good condition with nothing missing. The wiring seems to have been cut instead of totally removed but didn’t look to bad…

Do the mechanical change over in a couple of days, engine swap, gearbox swap, LSD, drive and tailshafts all in.

Start getting into the wiring but it proves to be an absolute nightmare. Not only could we not locate any of the diagrams we needed but the way wiring was cut when removed just made it a real dogs breakfast. We decide to just scrap the OEM ecu and s**t wiring and replace it with a Haltech engine management system.

A & B have been playing about with ratchet shifters on autos for a little while and have recently installed one in their R33 track car. We were talking about different options for the car and this came up so we decided that since it was an auto lets stick a B&M Pro Racing shifter in it and see how it goes. We got a custom valve body made and up and it’s good to go (for those that don’t know...the auto box has now lost all of it’s “auto” functions except that I don’t need to let of the throttle as I shift up. ALL gear changes must now be shifted up and down manually via the ratchet shift. No auto changes). Also as it was an auto box we were able to add a switch that enables me to change from 2WD (front wheel drive) and 4WD. In hindsight we should have just put in a manual box but it’s in now and that’s that. I can start saving for my 6 speed :suicide:

All of the intercooler piping for the TT set up is done and it’s time to start tuning. On the dyno for the first crack at tuning…FAIL. In our haste the box with vacuum lines for controlling the duel stage turbo set up has been damaged. Stupidly we decide that we should just p¡ss the box off all together and that we can figure out an easier way to make it all work. We couldn’t…

SO it looks like my single turbo conversion is coming sooner than I thought

The turbo we used is a KKR 380. This was mainly because of convenience as there was one in the workshop left over from another project. It uses a garrett flange so I guess I know what I’m upgrading to next time :D Little bit laggy but not to bad.

Got the new exhaust manifold and dump pipe done and put it all back together again. On the dyno, give it a tune which goes perfectly and done.

Off dyno and out the door :D

There were literally hundreds of little things that did go wrong during the whole process as anyone who has done a conversion would know but are normally easy enough fixes…

As you can see in the pics the shifter is pretty “ghetto” (thanks Mark!) looking. The shifter housing is actually gonna be covered in a black vinyl to match the dash. I’m going to get a custom centre console made to clean it all up and make it look as factory as I can (not even close I know!)

Subaru Liberty Gen 2 Heritage Turbo Converted:

EJ20 (2001 GTB converter to single turbo)
KKR 380 Turbo Charger
Custom tuned length headers, up pipe, dump pipe and full exhaust with Prodrive muffler
Haltech E11V2 ECU
B&M Racing shifter
Custom valve body for auto box and shifter
Turbo smart boost controller
Gauge POD with Boost, Air/Fuel, Water Temp and Oil Pressure
GC8 WRX seats re-covered in black and white perforated leather
MD (Monster Damper) Coilovers
Rays VOLK SE37 17” x 7.5” matte black rims (alternate Bridgestone JDM forged TE37 replica’s in white 17” x 7’5)
Subaru WRX 4pot front and 2pot rear callipers
Front and rear strut tower braces
Talon rear spoiler
Hippo-Sleek front grill (RFRB alternate grill)
Ganador mirrors
Morette Headlights
Clear side indicators
STI pedals
Pioneer something or other head unit???

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#42 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

Good to see you got there in the end. :D How long 'til the Ganadors and Morettes are on?

OEM+

#43 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

Cheers mate! Ganadors are in the boot so i'll probably get them on this weekend and i'm just waiting for the lights to arrive. They're somewhere in transit from the UK as we speak

signature_1_35.jpg

#44 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

Tuned length headers you say? Sound clip please :D I think that shifter will look pretty good with a molded fiberglass center console too.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#45 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

.. SO Aek. Up for WSID anytime soon ;) ?

#46 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

Tuned length headers you say?
Sound clip please :D

Hmm i gotta figure out how to do it first :)

Let's do it mate. As i've said before i'm keen as...when are ya back?

signature_1_35.jpg

#47 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:54 PM

7th 'o March :)

#48 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

hurry up and go. i will be going up sometime in february when its not raining. if not march.....

who's keen!!

MY07 GT spec B

#49 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

Nice work Aek'y. Credit to you.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#50 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:29 PM

Aekie man, I heard something happened to your car on the way back from the cruise after I had left :( Whats the go, is it working atm? Soz I couldn't be there to help ya out buddy. I suppose its early days yet so the odd issue or two can be expected. Hopefully it gets fixed up, whatever the problem is nice n' quick. ~ shiv

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#51 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

hahaha...ok so car update:

Driving home from the Newcastle cruise and heading down the F3 when BANG GRDGRGDGRGD...WTF?!?! I just happened to be next to one of the emergency bays so pulled straight in. Initially i thought something had happened in the gear so get out and have a bit of a look. Some of the other lads pull up so we try and move it and see if we can hear anything. Gear box seems to be fine but there's a noise coming from back. Look under again and the rear passenger side drive shaft has clean snapped in. Mitch and Aaron, (thanks heaps guys!) both being mechanics get underneath to see if we can remove the driveshaft and limp her home but with no success...We call NRMA and I say see ya to the guys so they can all get home (it was torrentially rain to might i ad so everyone was soaking wet by this stage).

After about an hour an NRMA dude rocks up. Looks under and goes "nuh not touching it. You need a tow". Fine so i call a tow truck out. 1h 45min later a truck arrives and picks us up and takes us down to brookvale to drop the car back at the workshop. Jump on bus then get a cab and finally get home at 1:15am

GGRRRR

signature_1_35.jpg

#52 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:09 AM

Spewin Aek! Got a spare one lying around?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#53 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

Jesus that ended up being a loooong day for you then. And I thought the 2hr 1min drive home from Newcastle was long and boring! So yeh, got a spare somewhere??

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#54 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

bummer mate...hope its a quick cheap fix...
Posted Image
I dont give a f*ck how fast it is....there's no joy in threatening people.

#55 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

That sucks man! Atleast its not an engine you need to replace Did it do any damage to the under body or anything?

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#56 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

LOL bad luck mate! Might need to go to a R180 rear if this keeps up!

#57 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

haha yeah i got another set so i'll get them swapped over tomorrow so no major drama. The underside of the car looks fine too...the worst part was just when/where it happened

Hmm Andy was saying that about the r180 too

Posted Image

signature_1_35.jpg

#58 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

y'ouch. That sucks mate. Any decent power + launches through the R160 will kill shafts time and time again. I think Jarrod went through a few 160's in his time. Good to hear you've got some spares mate, looking forward to meeting up and seeing this thing in the flesh when I get back!

#59 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

yeah it's probably something worth looking into pretty soon...i really don't want this to start being something i'm needing to deal with regularly!

signature_1_35.jpg

#60 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

so i want to convert to her to manual - discuss - costs parts etc. dylan and i might have a crack in the warehouse when he gets back

what a waste of f**ken time all this has been...sheesh

Oh and new pics of the new Cusco strut brace with Brake Master Cylinder Stopper.

To be honest i can't really tell if the stopper makes much difference or not?? Looks cool though :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

signature_1_35.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users