←  Engine / Driveline

Suby Club

»

Seized Motor :(

ScoobyPaul's Photo ScoobyPaul 27 Dec 2010

Hey guys, I hope all your chrissies have been better than mine!

I was on the way to Buxton (near Picton) and the motor seized in my RX lib. No warning, just started making a horrible knocking sound, so we pulled over and then it just shut up shop. No belts are broken, no leaks and it never blew smoke. Oil level was checked only a few days ago.

Anyway, I'm not worried about diagnosing the problem, as I need to get it back on the road asap. So I'm just hunting down an EJ25 replacement motor.

Does anyone know of any places in Sydney/Western Sydney that they can recommend? I should be able to organise to pick it up so I won't need delivery and I can do the transplant myself so that's all cool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys,
-Paul

PS: I can't remember if the motor would be a twin cam or a quad cam? I'm now nowhere near the car to check...does anyone know?

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 27 Dec 2010

Bugger.

Will it crank on the starter?

Nothing at all. When you turn the key it just seems like the whole engine is stuck. It's like it tries to crank, but it just can't.

NG Jap has a SOHC EJ25 (I believe mine is SOHC, but I'm not 100% sure without seeing the car now) for around $1700, tested and guaranteed. I'll keep shopping around, but is that a decent price to work off or is he pulling my leg a bit?

Jovi's Photo Jovi 27 Dec 2010

Pick and Pull in Seven hills 18 Powers road. cheap engines but from low kms cars

Shaz's Photo Shaz 27 Dec 2010

Hey mate, if you want to fix a suspected head gasket, I'll sell you the engine I'm pulling out of my car today. Runs fine, just has head gasket we think. Will let you know later for sure.

Cheers for the offer. I'll see how I go with tested and guaranteed ones first, if all else fails I'll let you know. My time is very limited with my mate's workshop so fixing a gasket plus the swap may end up taking too long. I will let you know though :D

Pick and pull, not the same as pick and payless? Just making sure I don't get them confused

legacy rsk's Photo legacy rsk 27 Dec 2010

why not get a full reco engine???? call all drive subaroo.\ they built my engine and are very good

Alex's Photo Alex 27 Dec 2010

Hey mate, if you want to fix a suspected head gasket, I'll sell you the engine I'm pulling out of my car today. Runs fine, just has head gasket we think. Will let you know later for sure.

Shazza,

How much for your EJ25 with a blown headgasket?

Cheers

Alex

why not get a full reco engine???? call all drive subaroo.\ they built my engine and are very good

I'll get whatever I can at the moment. Problem is at this time of year the funds aren't exactly in my favour :(

What did it cost you to get the full reco engine?

$600 if you want it mate. Has auto box and all other associated ahit as well.

FYI as well man, we don't know 100% its head gasket. I mean, you just need to top it up with water every 3-5 days, and its fine. Its just that it is absorbing water into the engine somewhere, and we don't know where. The engine still operates perfectly though, other then the water issue. You're welcome to come and have a look tomorrow morning, as we are lifting it out tomorrow morning. Still starts perfect everytime and drives fine though.

Cheers,
Shazza

Alex's Photo Alex 27 Dec 2010

$600 for a motor with a blown headgasket?

LOL

I was thinking more like a hungee.

Yeah I dunno what they're worth... I figured if good ones were going for 1700, a forked one would go for less then half, with the box?

Cheers,
Shazza

alexGT's Photo alexGT 27 Dec 2010

$600 for a motor with a blown headgasket?

LOL

I was thinking more like a hungee.

i've got an ej255 if you are keen ;)

legacy rsk's Photo legacy rsk 27 Dec 2010

I'll get whatever I can at the moment. Problem is at this time of year the funds aren't exactly in my favour :(

What did it cost you to get the full reco engine?

myn was different as i got a brand new sti block so cant compare

ScoobyPaul's Photo ScoobyPaul 28 Dec 2010

Fair enough, makes sense :)

ScoobyPaul's Photo ScoobyPaul 06 Jan 2011

I'm back on the road as of last sunday. I got the motor from NG Jap (who tried to rip me off $50!! Who does that!?) and did the swap on Sunday. Turns out the motor is a full reco job and it drives fantastically now. Feels like a totally brand-new car. All up my adventure cost me $1900, so I got out of it relatively unscathed.

Thanks for the help fellas :D