←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

DIY Cold Air Intake- Gen3

Sam's Photo Sam 25 Jan 2011

I got a bit creative this morning and decided to make my own direct air intake. All up it cost around $30.
Heres a list of what i bought and used:
-30cm of 2.5" (63mm) exhaust pipe- $10 from Berklee exhaust {although a bit heavier than other products, for the price i paid im happy}
-25cm of 65mm heavy duty rubber ag-pipe- $12 from Clark rubber
-2x hose clamps- 3.50each from clark rubber
-the flexible rubber joiner off the stock air intake system- FREE! {i tried to find another gen3 from the wrecker with another one but couldnt find any gen3's}

When I got the 2.5" pipe from Berklee, it looked a bit dirty and ratty, so I got the old Steel wool out and polished it up a bit, came up pretty good.
Firstly, I had to remove the stock air intake pipes with all resonators and piping. In the link below, you have to take all the pipes out between the two yellow rings. I did this by inscrewing the two hose clamps on the flexible rubber coupling. I took the rubber coupling off and then the plastic pipe that connects to the front of the airbox off (it just pulls straight off).

Posted Image

Next, I had to remove two bolts that hold down the air box to the chassis, just had to use a bit of muscle to undo the bolts. Once off, pull the airbox/resonator out and screw the bolts back up. In the above picture, it will tell you by the red arrows where the bolts are. Once all the stock intake pipes and resonators are removed, its time to start putting your new direct CAI in.

I cut the rubber ag-pipe down to about 20cm to make sure the bend was about 45 degrees, and then i attached one end of the rubber ag-pipe to the back of the air inlet, and the other end attached to one end of the 63mm pipe.

At the other end, i attached one end of the rubber flexible coupling from the stock system, to the start of the airbox, and secured it with the old hose clamps which were already on the rubber flex tube. At the other end of the flex pipe i attached the other end of the 63mm pipe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The last step is to make sure all the hose clamps are secure and then your done!

Posted Image

aekOne's Photo aekOne 25 Jan 2011

nice write up mate. looks good!

ps: i embedded the images for in the post for you

nice write up mate. looks good!

ps: i embedded the images for in the post for you

Ahhhh cheers, i didnt know how to do it...

Soop's Photo Soop 25 Jan 2011

For the sake of correctness, this isn't really a cold air intake. It still gets the same air it did as standard.

You'll probably notice the throttle response is a little crisper though, airspeed into the airbox will be a little better.

For the sake of correctness, this isn't really a cold air intake. It still gets the same air it did as standard.

You'll probably notice the throttle response is a little crisper though, airspeed into the airbox will be a little better.

Ive read that the Gen3's have CAI as standard. So all ive done like many others is take the resonators out and replace it with a straight through pipe. More air flow and direct air.

Richo's Photo Richo 25 Jan 2011

Ive read that the Gen3's have CAI as standard. So all ive done like many others is take the resonators out and replace it with a straight through pipe. More air flow and direct air.

Kinda... I mean, take a look at where the big ol' scope thing at the front is.. fairly much cold air there :D

Kinda... I mean, take a look at where the big ol' scope thing at the front is.. fairly much cold air there :D

That what i thought too.

Soop's Photo Soop 25 Jan 2011

Yeah I was just being anal about it.
Its not colder then what it was anyway. But you removed a dirty big fat smelly restriction in the intake. So you'll get a small increase in throttle response from that.

Yeah I was just being anal about it.
Its not colder then what it was anyway. But you removed a dirty big fat smelly restriction in the intake. So you'll get a small increase in throttle response from that.

Awesome..

aekOne's Photo aekOne 25 Jan 2011

yeah well i guess technically most cars have a cold air intake really. this is more a resonectomy. it is what it is

AussieTemplar's Photo AussieTemplar 27 Jan 2011

i'm guessing CAI is more what Chris (THE-70Y) did..? putting the pipe straight down under the front wheel guard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the hole is already cut there, and the original design the air is coming directly from infront of the radiator..

Soop's Photo Soop 27 Jan 2011

The black paint makes that look extra ghetto.

AussieTemplar's Photo AussieTemplar 28 Jan 2011

Posted Image

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 16 Feb 2011

Placebo people... Placebo. Been there and done that. The only difference is noise.

By the way, that top pic is my old car. Nice way to pinch pics and copy threads.

Evil_VZ-T's Photo Evil_VZ-T 16 Feb 2011

I used abit of that Flexible tubing from autobarn, Fits over the foglight cover and going up the inner guard into the engine bay where my pod is.

(i have no foglights due to my FMIC

LibertyDrive's Photo LibertyDrive 21 Jun 2014

So is this actually effective? I was thinking of doing it as well 1. its easy and 2. gets done cheaper.Or should I try do the one from the side to the foglight cover?