7 replies to this topic

#1 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

Ok, so your headlights are getting a little yellow, damn sea air and QLD sun (when we had sun)! Mine had a little on the top of the headlights, and it annoyed me.

A lot of people have seen this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy_WF5Iei_I

But I wanted to share my experience with another product by Meguiars. PlastX plastic polish, or rather the One-Step Headlight Restoration kit.

Posted Image

I looked at others, but didn't think the damage to mine warranted attacking it with sandpaper... the only reasonably priced kit here is the Turtle Wax one, but they were out of stock everywhere local.. so I did a quick google and found this kit. It is basically a Buffing pad that goes on your drill and PlastX polish. They give you a cloth to shine it up when you are done too. I picked it up for like $30 delivered from US eBay. You can get the polish here, and probably find a suitable buffing pad, but I wanted to try the kit.

It was amazing, the headlights look brand new! And after a week still look this way, my mate even noticed they were so clear yesterday. Better results than the patch up fixes I have tried before (car polish, toothpaste etc). Never got around to the Avocado, cause it seemed weird :P

#2 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

Good writeup mate, I've been meaning to do this for ages! Does this buff out scratches? And If sanding was needed do you think this kit would still be suitable?

Posted Image

#3 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

i just used some cutting compound i found in the shed, a polishing pad and wiped it off with the closest semi clean rag i could find, come out good and took all of two minutes :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#4 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

Not sure about sanding, it got everything out of mine, except for a couple stone chips in the plastic.

I think any car wax/polish would work to be honest, I tried turtle wax polish and it did work 'ok' just didn't really take the layer off it, no matter how hard I rubbed... and after a week it was back again, I think that's what the buffing pad achieves with this polish, takes that layer off with whatever chemical is in the product and polishes it up.

I found using a variable drill speed best, dads old black and decker didn't agree but it worked.

Never took before and after shots. But Imagine a light dusting of whats in the video above on the top of my Liberty headlights, and then imagine them perfectly clear like new :P

#5 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:27 PM

Thats why i used a cutting compound, which isnt exactly a polish, you'd think more supra owners would do it...

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#6 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thats why i used a cutting compound, which isnt exactly a polish, you'd think more supra owners would do it...

Well said! My cousin had a Supra for a short period, and it had terrible headlights. Skyline's get it bad too.

#7 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

Well said! My cousin had a Supra for a short period, and it had terrible headlights. Skyline's get it bad too.

yeah, everytime I see a Supra I notice the dreadful state of the headlights

#8 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

I've used metal polish, but it never seems to last too long.

My gf's lancer gets it bad too!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users