←  Engine / Driveline

Suby Club

»

wrx gearbox/diff in gen3?

claire6's Photo claire6 07 Apr 2011

hi,just purchsed a 99 rx gen3 manual with noisy reverse idler gear.
although not major drama atm was thinking of sourcing another gearbox for it but have a few questions-

-was eventually planning to convert to wrx/sti engine later down track would it be beneficial then to source wrx gearbox and diff and put that in for now so later just put in engine/comp?

-what on gen3 mates up with wrx gearbox/diff?ie.mounts,tailshaft,cvs,hubs,etc
how much roughly should i pay for parts only?

thanks for input.

Shaz's Photo Shaz 07 Apr 2011

hi,just purchsed a 99 rx gen3 with noisy reverse idler gear.
although not major drama atm was thinking of sourcing another gearbox for it but have a few questions-

-was eventually planning to convert to wrx/sti engine later down track would it be beneficial then to source wrx gearbox and diff and put that in for now so later just put in engine/comp?

-what on gen3 mates up with wrx gearbox/diff?ie.mounts,tailshaft,cvs,hubs,etc
how much roughly should i pay for parts only?

thanks for input.

Hey mate,

Try and find a STi 5 speed and matching rear diff. You will 100% need a new diff as the auto to manual ratios are well different. The diff and manual box will bolt straight in, and upto the back of the engine too. No modifying required. You *may* have a drama with the speed sensor depending if you convert from cable to electric, and you may also need a new ABS pump out of a manual to stop it from displaying the ABS light on the dash.

You will need a manual gearbox crossmember though, as the the auto one won't fit.

I fit all driveshafts, and that straight into my car. Again, no modifications required.

Cheers,
Shazza

claire6's Photo claire6 07 Apr 2011

cool,thanks
thats pretty much what i thought.
how much if you have any idea would they be worth?

Adam's Photo Adam 07 Apr 2011

I paid 1200 for a v2 sti box don't know if that's good or what.

EVO473's Photo EVO473 08 Apr 2011

Don't forget turbo boxes are a pull type clutch, not push type.