←  Engine / Driveline

Suby Club

»

Outback Dual Range

ReDMaN_82's Photo ReDMaN_82 27 Apr 2011

Hey guys,

this may be a stupid question but please bear with me.. ive got a 03 outback in manual and decided to take it in the sand over easter. worked a treat and no real problems there but i'm curious as to whether my hi and low range is working. i stopped completely was in first gear, clutch in i shifted it back to low range. no noticeable difference anywhere. rev range seemed the same, no lights in my dash anywhere. it drove fine on the beach but just curious is there anything that should have jumped out and made me aware that i was in low range now??

as i said excuse me if its a stupid question but its my first subie......and im loving every bit of it :diablo:

cheers guys.

Matt

Morgan's Photo Morgan 27 Apr 2011

You would notice if it was working

I've had mates sit in the passenger seat if mine and shift it into low range while I'm stopped at traffic lights and as soon as we start moving I will notice something is different...

The 'lo' light is a bit temperamental but give the dash a whack and it should light up.

hey morgan..

i also thought that i could feel the difference in your car when you showed me but i thought well different cars, uve got a varex etc etc but when i didnt get the low light that when i stated to assume something is wrong..

if this is the case is it a big job (time and money) to sort it out?

Cheers,

Matt

Morgan's Photo Morgan 27 Apr 2011

Could be worth taking off the trim and seeing if there wired going to the lever?

Even whacking the top of the dash could engage something...

Not sure of the mechanicals behind the dual range though

Shaz's Photo Shaz 27 Apr 2011

Roll along, in low range, 1st gear, then shift into high range, still in first gear and see if your revs are at different levels.

Cheers,
Shazza

cheers shazza, will give it a run and see...

thanx again morgan.. lol