17 replies to this topic

#1 OneQuest

OneQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hi,

My power steering pump is leaking at the pulley gasket/o-ring, so I took it out during the Easter weekend thinking that there is a rebuild kit from Subaru

Rung Subaru up today and they said that there isn't a rebuild kit for an 01 Liberty B4 and that I would need to get the complete pump replace, which cost between $1,500 - $2,000

Although he did mention to look for place that rebuild or swap the pump

Does anyone know where I can get my pump recondition or where I can get a rebuild kit around Melbourne?

There's only a few gasket/o-ring that I would replace

Thanks
Loc

#2 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hey Mate,

think I have a spare pump in good working order chief. I'll check in the morning for ya.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#3 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

I would pull it apart and then go to a o ring place and get the seals you need, ain't that much to a steering pump.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#4 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:30 PM

I'm sure there a guys like Mr Racks in Victoria that can rebuild a pump for you... and it shouldn't be more then $130...
Posted Image

#5 OneQuest

OneQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

Thanks guys

Shazza - Thanks, I've got a gen 3 pump (not sure which one) but that doesn't seem to fit properly (bracket fit fine, one of the pipe is a different angel), ended up using a 01 wrx pump which doesn't fit properly with the bracket (it's a tad bigger)

I pull the pump apart and most of the o-ring I've seen around but the main one that is connected to the pulley has a small round spring inside the o-ring (I think I might have damaged it when trying to take it out...lol)

I had a look for Mr Racks and they are only in NSW, trying to find someone like that in Melbourne

#6 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

Hey Mate,

think I have a spare pump in good working order chief. I'll check in the morning for ya.

Cheers,
Shazza

Shaz, if op doesn't take pump, I may be interested if it fits my motor!

Posted Image

#7 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

yeah i've got two different ones here as well if any one needs one

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#8 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

i work for a place that can reco racks, pumps, ps boxes, drive sharft etc. We would be able to reco your pump or provide a exchange pump if we have on in stock. Pm me and ill let you no more details.

freeway.jpeg 

#9 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

i work for a place that can reco racks, pumps, ps boxes, drive sharft etc. We would be able to reco your pump or provide a exchange pump if we have on in stock. Pm me and ill let you no more details.

Ben, can you supply reco kits?

Posted Image

#10 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

no sorry, but we can supply a exchange pump or reco yours. we are located on the northern beaches,

freeway.jpeg 

#11 OneQuest

OneQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

Went to a mechanic that I know of and he said he's going to send it off to a place he know and get them to check and report what's needed to be replace and prices if no damage to it

ben_BUG3Y3 - Thanks, I'll get back to you once I get a report back on the condition of it

#12 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

no sorry, but we can supply a exchange pump or reco yours. we are located on the northern beaches,

Bugger! That's a bit far to go for me!

Posted Image

#13 vi55errs

vi55errs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:motorbikes motard and enduro. racing subies

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

the steering pumps are easy to rebuild if the vains are ok throw a new bearing and seal from ur local bearing shop cost me about 15 dollars. laughing

#14 OneQuest

OneQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

Got my p/s pump back and the repairer said that because I took it apart I killed some sensor in it

and due to that it can't be rebuilt

so I'm in the market for a 2nd hand Aus B4 p/s pump - new is over my budget at the moment

#15 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

go see Brian at SubaBits in Clayton, its the same type pump as gen3, it has a speed sensor input that disables the PS at high speed.
Tell him Ty sent you over.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#16 OneQuest

OneQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Ty

I've got a gen 3 pump, however the mounting of one of the hose is in a different location (b4 is on top of the pump, this gen 3 is on the side) or maybe this one is somehow different...lol

since they're not far from me I'll have a look anyway

#17 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

There are 2 different Gen 3 pumps, one for the early models (Rev A - C) and then one for the later models. They are tempermental at the best of times, and will die at the drop of a hat. I was talking to a few of the mechanics at Eblens, and they hate them. Although 1500 - 2000 bucks is a bit rich, even from Subaru. I think I paid 980 bucks for mine when I replaced it (and that was new genuine as well)

See if you can get a slightly later model pump and bracket and then retro-fit it. The block should have all the right mounting points as they havent really changed the turbo blocks for quite a while in that regard. That way you have a much better designed pump that wont fail when it feels like it.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#18 OneQuest

OneQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

Thanks guys,

I end up going to SubaBits and got me self a new one (well... he said new), it looks almost identical to mine with a new minor differences, one of which was the pulley on it is at least 1 teeth larger than mine but it's working perfectly

just only installed it and so far so good, no whining noise, just a few vibration when i was trying to pump the fluid when the engine is on (turn left to right several times and checking for bubbles) hopefully that goes soon

thanks again for the advice guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users