43 replies to this topic

#21 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:36 PM

All this from a guy that had his car converted to single turbo and then bag out the work was **** etc etc... and my car being backyard well its my car not yours ive done everything to my car fix it from being smashed to painting may not be professional but its good enough for me, also done many other things.

What have you done? oh Wait **** all because you don't know how to do anything yourself except paid others to do it for you and then give advice to others and bag out the people who did the work for you...But Alex you are nothing but a keyboard warrior you have a big mouth here but at the monthly meets you keep it shut...

Incorrect. Alex just says it like it is, and i agree with him.

If you saw his Celica, you would be eating humble pie for the rest of your days. All work done, himself. Also, a fair whack of his modifications to his GTB were done, again, himself. I've even personally lent a hand while he was swinging a spanner.

For someone who i have seen give **** all tech input or advice, you sure stand high on your pedestool. Naive.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#22 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

Incorrect. Alex just says it like it is, and i agree with him.

If you saw his Celica, you would be eating humble pie for the rest of your days. All work done, himself. Also, a fair whack of his modifications to his GTB were done, again, himself. I've even personally lent a hand while he was swinging a spanner.

For someone who i have seen give **** all tech input or advice, you sure stand high on your pedestool. Naive.

You know what....fcuk you....it's spelt pedestal...haha.

I support single>twin, but like Leon says, you wouldn't get the TT B4 in order to push big numbers.

By the way Leon, how many kms on your 05 STi and what did it go for? Only if you're willing to give up the info of course...

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#23 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

lol i said stool.

Single is better than twin in almost all the criteria. But TT can still be fun at times, they're just too hard to modify and get good results out of without spending stacks-o-cash. You nearly have to have everything you want fabricated or improvised because there simply isnt a range of aftermarket parts available. You might be lucky to snag some decent turbos but thats about it.

B4's by all means arent slow, and they're comfortable cars and look great. As for light mods, a zorst and CAI will net you a few extra killerwasps.

#24 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

Sold the 05 with 90k on the clock, had diff back and full tune and let it go pretty cheap (considering the others around with more km's and higher price tags.) for $31500 and it was in really good condition. Just needed new brake pads and tires.

Was a fun car, but my MY00 wrx felt 100 times more like a sports car. the 05 felt more like a family sedan than a sport car, that was a bit disappointing but it was still an awesome car :) Had lots of fun with the DCCD control in the wet hahaha.

#25 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

Ah, interesting Leon, trying to move a 60km MY05 STi with full custom TBE, tuned, and was lookin around for $35k, was getting screamed at for it being too exxy.

Jimbo agree entirely, I'd only buy a TT if it were factory fast and I intended to keep it factory-ish, there are some amazing TT applications throughout the motor world, the euro's do it best though.

#26 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

Im actually quite entrigued at the moment by the weedy VW group 1.4 Twin-charge engines (super charged at low RPM, then changing over to a Turbo for mid-high RPM). There's some crazy innovative tech coming from over there lately!

If someone had the time to be a mad scientist, i would love to see what you could do to a B4 if you borrowed from the twin-charge setup. What i would like to know is how the VW group have done it with no VOD or drop in torque on change over. They would still surely need to utilise some sort of system like what we know??

FYI

"The mechanical supercharger compressor, driven at 1.5 times the speed of the crankshaft, mainly operates at low engine speeds from tick-over up to 2,400 revolutions per minute (rpm) to increase low-end torque. At engine speeds just above idle, the belt-driven supercharger provides a boost pressure of 1.2 bars (17.4 psi)**. The turbocharger assumes full effectiveness at middle revs, and the engine map disengages the clutch-controlled supercharger at a maximum upper limit of 3,500 rpm; the supercharger will then be bypassed once the turbocharger spools up and reaches sufficient speed to provide adequate boost in the upper rev-ranges"

** 17.4 PSI!!!!

VW 1.4 TSI

#27 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:44 PM

How boring is TT vs Single arguments.

I'll tell you, very.

Just answer the damn questions guy's, seriously.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#28 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

Nice one :) Yea i enjoy driving this :D

The std turbo is a TD04 from the wrx. (I actually have one sitting in my garage haha) its the same on both the auto and manual.

The B4 actually feels like a smaller car, and feels like more of a sporty car than the MY05 sti that i had. that thing just felt huge and clunky!

I havent driven an STI but a B4 TT as you say is great, but you really got to love the idea behind the TT and how it works, most people on here say single turbo etc works better but it just isnt the same.
Posted Image

#29 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

Jim I am very much wanting at some stage to go down the supercharge path with a h6, doubt I'd ever have the funds to do a twin-charge experiment, but at least see how well the 6 goes with a supercharger instead of the turbo set-ups.

VW's best achievement to date is their dual clutch paddle shift system, but want to see this twin stuff you talk of.

TO get back on Leon's stuff, I want more info on the track WRX.

#30 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

Before Racheal bought her TDI golf, she test drove a brand new twin charged Polo with the DSG box.

Very cool, very quick, very torquey.....

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#31 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:59 AM

Ah, interesting Leon, trying to move a 60km MY05 STi with full custom TBE, tuned, and was lookin around for $35k, was getting screamed at for it being too exxy.

Jimbo agree entirely, I'd only buy a TT if it were factory fast and I intended to keep it factory-ish, there are some amazing TT applications throughout the motor world, the euro's do it best though.

Oh yea, that was just under a year ago that i sold mine. So i would imagine that 35k is probably on the pricey side for one of these now (they are 6 years old now). But good luck with selling it. Have you posted it up on rexnet?

Im actually quite entrigued at the moment by the weedy VW group 1.4 Twin-charge engines (super charged at low RPM, then changing over to a Turbo for mid-high RPM). There's some crazy innovative tech coming from over there lately!

If someone had the time to be a mad scientist, i would love to see what you could do to a B4 if you borrowed from the twin-charge setup. What i would like to know is how the VW group have done it with no VOD or drop in torque on change over. They would still surely need to utilise some sort of system like what we know??

FYI

"The mechanical supercharger compressor, driven at 1.5 times the speed of the crankshaft, mainly operates at low engine speeds from tick-over up to 2,400 revolutions per minute (rpm) to increase low-end torque. At engine speeds just above idle, the belt-driven supercharger provides a boost pressure of 1.2 bars (17.4 psi)**. The turbocharger assumes full effectiveness at middle revs, and the engine map disengages the clutch-controlled supercharger at a maximum upper limit of 3,500 rpm; the supercharger will then be bypassed once the turbocharger spools up and reaches sufficient speed to provide adequate boost in the upper rev-ranges"

** 17.4 PSI!!!!

VW 1.4 TSI

Thats pretty interesting, i might have to try and get a test drive to see what they are like.

I havent driven an STI but a B4 TT as you say is great, but you really got to love the idea behind the TT and how it works, most people on here say single turbo etc works better but it just isnt the same.

Exactly, thats one of the things that made me go the b4 over the gen4 lib turbo, I was just fascinated about the twin system setup and it was a challenge for me to tune it open source (even more cause there is practically no info about it around) and try to make it better than factory, so that was half the appeal to me :)

I do think they probably over complicated it though.

Jim I am very much wanting at some stage to go down the supercharge path with a h6, doubt I'd ever have the funds to do a twin-charge experiment, but at least see how well the 6 goes with a supercharger instead of the turbo set-ups.

VW's best achievement to date is their dual clutch paddle shift system, but want to see this twin stuff you talk of.

TO get back on Leon's stuff, I want more info on the track WRX.

Oooo, I had the idea to drop the H6 in the B4... I think that could be awesome :) Ill see how im going in another year or so and hopefully can find funds to do something silly like that!

Some pics of the first car (and 1 pic with my Dad's Sister's and Brother in law's car hahaha)
http://www.facebook....50076.597980613

The first one ended up into the wall at forest elbow at bathurst. It sheered the studs off the hub, wheel came off in the middle of the corner then i was a passenger into the wall at about 90km. :( That wasnt fun...

Here is pics from the crash,
http://www.facebook....64293.597980613

Here is the rebuild pics of the race car. (we managed to completely rebuild it in 2 months, ready for a race. That was such a strain on my body and my bank account... Not doing that again. So many late nights)
http://www.facebook....79446.597980613
This was MK II

The burgundy one was my old road car, when i got the sti i turned that into a track car.

Unfortunately at the 300 last year, in practice the bottom coolant hose came off, dropped all the coolant and fried the engine. Actually melted a bit through the cylinder wall, and the adjacent part of the head :( Block is stuffed.
That sucked :( cause the car was just getting really competitive.

Was going to cost too much to get up and running for this year so now she is sitting in the garage as i work out my finances this year and plan to rebuild it next year. May do a 2.2. or 2.5 build depending on the series i choose to run in. but for now, patience.

Specs are.

Engine
closed block
Forged pistons
race bearing
forged rods
cross drilled crank
jap spec sti cams
intake manifold risers
full 3" exhaust that we made, Was straight through with no mufflers or cats, dropped down to 2.5: from diff back with 2x90 degree bends. (when we had this as 3" at the back it wouldnt control boost accurately, there wasnt enough pressure in the exhaust but the 2.5" fixed that)
oil catch can
hyperflow stage 2 racing sump
aluminium radiator
no abs (cause i had the r180 rear end which had no abs)
850cc injectors
wallbro pump
td05-20g turbo
std headers

Autronic SM4

Suspension

Racing logic coilovers (these are actually really good for the price. Racing logic have the best shocks out of all the jap/asian made ones)
Sti control arms
castor mod (had 7degrees castor)
modified strut tops to allow more castor

Others
V6 Sti RA gearbox
r180 rear diff
front cusco LSD
short steering rack

All the other racing bits
cage
seat
harnesses etc

She was making 198kw atw on 18psi

That was fun :) I miss getting to race this year :(

#32 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

Holy crap! Good post mate, took a look at some of those pictures and they are awesome - so much work goes in to that stuff - you guys really did a great job fixing her up after the crash!

#33 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

awesome pics, that rebuild is very nice and done in 2 months, crazy, love the colour too.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#34 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

Thanks guys :) Yea was so much work! If i were to do it again i wouldnt try and get it done so quick hahaha. But had good results :)

#35 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

Oh yea, that was just under a year ago that i sold mine. So i would imagine that 35k is probably on the pricey side for one of these now (they are 6 years old now). But good luck with selling it. Have you posted it up on rexnet?

Thats pretty interesting, i might have to try and get a test drive to see what they are like.

Exactly, thats one of the things that made me go the b4 over the gen4 lib turbo, I was just fascinated about the twin system setup and it was a challenge for me to tune it open source (even more cause there is practically no info about it around) and try to make it better than factory, so that was half the appeal to me :)

I do think they probably over complicated it though.

Oooo, I had the idea to drop the H6 in the B4... I think that could be awesome :) Ill see how im going in another year or so and hopefully can find funds to do something silly like that!

Some pics of the first car (and 1 pic with my Dad's Sister's and Brother in law's car hahaha)
http://www.facebook....50076.597980613

The first one ended up into the wall at forest elbow at bathurst. It sheered the studs off the hub, wheel came off in the middle of the corner then i was a passenger into the wall at about 90km. :( That wasnt fun...

Here is pics from the crash,
http://www.facebook....64293.597980613

Here is the rebuild pics of the race car. (we managed to completely rebuild it in 2 months, ready for a race. That was such a strain on my body and my bank account... Not doing that again. So many late nights)
http://www.facebook....79446.597980613
This was MK II

The burgundy one was my old road car, when i got the sti i turned that into a track car.

Unfortunately at the 300 last year, in practice the bottom coolant hose came off, dropped all the coolant and fried the engine. Actually melted a bit through the cylinder wall, and the adjacent part of the head :( Block is stuffed.
That sucked :( cause the car was just getting really competitive.

Was going to cost too much to get up and running for this year so now she is sitting in the garage as i work out my finances this year and plan to rebuild it next year. May do a 2.2. or 2.5 build depending on the series i choose to run in. but for now, patience.

Specs are.

Engine
closed block
Forged pistons
race bearing
forged rods
cross drilled crank
jap spec sti cams
intake manifold risers
full 3" exhaust that we made, Was straight through with no mufflers or cats, dropped down to 2.5: from diff back with 2x90 degree bends. (when we had this as 3" at the back it wouldnt control boost accurately, there wasnt enough pressure in the exhaust but the 2.5" fixed that)
oil catch can
hyperflow stage 2 racing sump
aluminium radiator
no abs (cause i had the r180 rear end which had no abs)
850cc injectors
wallbro pump
td05-20g turbo
std headers

Autronic SM4

Suspension

Racing logic coilovers (these are actually really good for the price. Racing logic have the best shocks out of all the jap/asian made ones)
Sti control arms
castor mod (had 7degrees castor)
modified strut tops to allow more castor

Others
V6 Sti RA gearbox
r180 rear diff
front cusco LSD
short steering rack

All the other racing bits
cage
seat
harnesses etc

She was making 198kw atw on 18psi

That was fun :) I miss getting to race this year :(

Thats what i think as well as i bought my B4 smashed fixed it and had issues with the TT setup ( it is complicated but i sorted it out after a while) and about a year ago i bought a stolen recovered B4 so i did an engine transplant from a E-tune jap half cut and bits so its not ready as yet. I drive mine as a daily its auto and had it for about 5 years now no troubles... All thats on it is a Sti top mount and a cold air intake. But i plan to further modify the E-tune version... Ive also bought Vf32 and Vf33 so i can mod them and extract more driver fun out of the car, not chasing big power..

To what extent have you changed the factory tune?
Posted Image

#36 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

Yeah I think I'd rather start with it inside the car, like a h6 Gen 4 Liberty, but seems an expensive waste of time and money, as I doubt the supercharger would yield awesome results unless I over capitalised the car which I'd hate to do.

Photos didn't work for me, but the info you put up is crazytown. GC8 is by far the best platform for Impreza racing. Bad news about the coolant incident, going to hurt the wallet, I have mates who are into racing, Formula Ford and Drift, I gave them a bit of start up cash for the drift project, luckily just got it all recovered recently when they signed a few sponsors, motor sport is expensive and risky. Plus time consuming.

With that history I'd like to see how your B4 ends up.

#37 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

Thats what i think as well as i bought my B4 smashed fixed it and had issues with the TT setup ( it is complicated but i sorted it out after a while) and about a year ago i bought a stolen recovered B4 so i did an engine transplant from a E-tune jap half cut and bits so its not ready as yet. I drive mine as a daily its auto and had it for about 5 years now no troubles... All thats on it is a Sti top mount and a cold air intake. But i plan to further modify the E-tune version... Ive also bought Vf32 and Vf33 so i can mod them and extract more driver fun out of the car, not chasing big power..

To what extent have you changed the factory tune?

Havent majorly played with the tune yet. About to go out and have a bit more of a play.

Mainly played with wastegate duty's and pulled some timing and made it richer while playing around.

Then started playing with the turbo crossover, This is what i will be experimenting with today, so will report back how that goes :)

Hopefully will find the time in the next month to complete the tune :D

Yeah I think I'd rather start with it inside the car, like a h6 Gen 4 Liberty, but seems an expensive waste of time and money, as I doubt the supercharger would yield awesome results unless I over capitalised the car which I'd hate to do.

Photos didn't work for me, but the info you put up is crazytown. GC8 is by far the best platform for Impreza racing. Bad news about the coolant incident, going to hurt the wallet, I have mates who are into racing, Formula Ford and Drift, I gave them a bit of start up cash for the drift project, luckily just got it all recovered recently when they signed a few sponsors, motor sport is expensive and risky. Plus time consuming.

With that history I'd like to see how your B4 ends up.

What did the pics do?

Formula fords look like they would be some fun to race.

Racing surely does hurt the wallet! Trying to work out how to keep my costs down for next year. Really need sponsors i guess.

I'd like to see how the B4 ends up too :D I have high hopes for what i can get out of it as a bog stock standard car, but that thread will come when i have a chance to get on the dyno (if all goes well it will be next month)

#38 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:18 AM

That Twin charged VW is very interesting! vid was good.

And your build Leon, will be great to see how it turns out.
No point to what im saying here: When i was younger, just before i culd drive, i heard of twin turbo's and my natural reaction was to think that they'd clearly be the faster/better, seeing as two is better than one right! ..it makes sense hahaah....ohwell;
if u succeed to whatever degree you are aiming for, it will be good to see how it goes! :)

#39 Shadoxity

Shadoxity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:35 PM

Yea you would think twins are better than 1 :P does make sense when you dont know about them hahaha :D

Hopefully get out and do a bunch of playing around with the tune this weekend. Fingers crossed to make some progress.

#40 BLKB4

BLKB4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hi All ,

i have an australian B4 and the primary turbo is a vf33 but everywhere ive looked for replacing it says it should be a vf31

no idea what to think..

anyone have any ideas.... vf33 seem to be rare too

Brett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users