←  Engine / Driveline

Suby Club

»

My Engine is making a ticking noise :[

Steveee's Photo Steveee 28 May 2011

Hey Lads,
My engine bay started to make a bit of a ticking noise the other day sorta light but distinct ticking, (sounds like a chainsaw in the vid but its deceiving).
Took it to the mechanic and he seemed to think it was the timing chain... he tightened some things and said it should be a bit quieter now, its only gonna get louder.
and would cost about $2k to get it replaced, but apparently it shouldn't really affect anything, which it hasn't seemed to although it is just pretty loud and irritating now... So Im just curious if anyone has had this before or thinks they know what it is. Shes an 02 h6 outback.
Thanks

Posted Image

As i mentioned above, it sounds a lot more aggressive in the video.

Alex's Photo Alex 28 May 2011

H6 don't have a timing belt, they have a timing chain.

That would be what i mean ... lol

Alex's Photo Alex 28 May 2011

Mean what, exactly?

XXB4XX's Photo XXB4XX 28 May 2011

I think he meant to say he knows its timing chain :-)

It could be one of your compressors, timing chain, sprockets, tensioners, bearings, lifters etc..

Does the rattle get louder with acceleration as in matching the revs?

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 28 May 2011

Can you tell if it's to one side of the engine or at the front?

You could grab a short length of garden hose, put one end to your ear and move the other end over the engine.
This makes it easier to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

What happens to the noise is you let the engine idle for a few moments, then snap the throttle and let it return to idle?

Is the noise any different when the engine is first started from cold?

Adam's Photo Adam 28 May 2011

Dads h6 has a nosy timing chain, does it get worse once the engine is warm?

its around the front left if your looking into the bay, but it doesnt seem to change at all from warm/cold, idle/throttle...

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 28 May 2011

Changed the engine oil lately?

Well, its been in for a service the other day, so im sure they would of checked that, but ill have a look otherwise
thanks

Shaz's Photo Shaz 28 May 2011

If it went in for a service, make sure there is enough oil in the motor.

Cheers,
Shazza

Steveee's Photo Steveee 08 Jun 2011

Can the chain become all rattly just from the wrong oil?
Just from my limited knowledge, Im told the Suby motors require premium fuel as they are so finely tuned... could this mean they also require a specific type of oil? because it was just 2 days after the car had been to the mechanic that it began to rattle.

Thanks

Shiv's Photo Shiv 08 Jun 2011

Hey Steve, you should take it back to the mechanic ASAP and just tell them "hey I gave my car to you, got it back and its developed a rattle shortly after". Any decent mechanic will take time out to inspect it because if it turns out to be something serious, they know they can be held liable.

That's what I'd do.

Sometimes diagnosing problems on the internet can be tricky.