B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:00 PM

What does a MAF Sensor Do?
A MAF Sensor determines the amount of air entering through the engines intake.

How It Works

A common form of MAF sensor used in vehicles now is the Hot Wire System, basically a wire that is suspended in the vehicles intake system that is heated using an electrical current.
The Electrical resistance increases as the wire's temperature increases, this limits the current flowing through the circuit. As air flows over the wire the wire cools decreasing resistance meaning that the current flow increases across the circuit which in turn increases the temperature of the wire until it reach's the original preset temperature.
The current required to heat the wire is proportional to the mass of air flowing past the hot wire, the IEC (Integrated Electronic Circuit) converts the current flow to a voltage signal which is sent to the ECU, telling the ECU how much air is entering the intake so that the ECU is able to determine the amount of fuel to discharge into the cylinders.
Incorporated into the MAF Sensor is also an intake temperature sensor which allows the MAF Sensor to take into account the change in air density due to the increase or decrease in intake air temperature

Problems That Can Arise Due To A Dirty Or Malfunctioning MAF Sensor
Engine Stalling During Idle
Rough Idling
Poor Acceleration
Hesitation At Acceleration
Engine Surging
Just to name a few

Tools Required
I needed only two tools and a can of CRC contact cleaner for this job.
A Flat head screw-driver
Torch (just for a better look in at the MAF Sensor

Removing And Cleaning The MAF Sensor
I chose not to remove the MAF Sensor from the upper air cleaner cover as I didn't see that it was necessary.
Firstly Unplug the MAF Sensor Connector
2. Using Screw Driver loosen the hose clamp which secures the intake hose to the upper air cleaner cover
3. Remove hoses that are clipped into the top of the upper air cleaner cover
4. Un-clip upper air cleaner cover and remove from engine bay, wriggling it from the intake pipe if necessary
5. Inspect the MAF Sensor (inside the pipe of the upper air cleaner cover) with a torch (I found that the back of my hot-wire was nice and shiny whilst the front was covered in a black carbon like soot (Probably fine dirt particles)
6. Using the Contact cleaner thoroughly spray around the front and back of the MAF sensor to remove any built up residue (mainly on the hot-wire)
7. Once you are confident that the hot-wire looks clean and shiny allow it to sit somewhere in the shade for approximately 30 minutes before re-installing onto your car
8. Re-install in reverse the reverse order that you took things apart

Diagram of the engine bay showing the location of the MAF Sensor.
Posted Image

A write-up on cleaning the O2 Sensors for the TT to folow

#2 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

Awesome write up dude. Keep it up. Every little bit helps. Also interesting to note how the hot wire actually functions.
TSM

#3 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

top right up mate. ill have to give this a go tomorrow. one noobish questions. is it necessary to reset the ECU after?

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#4 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

Not totally. But its advisable.
TSM

#5 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

ahh ok. Thanks soop :)

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#6 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

Nice write up, just to add its best to use paper or OEM air filters not the K&N or Rush or anything like that as they are OIL Based and the oil is what damages the MAF. and at times even when you clean the MAF the problem is still there coz the unit is stuffed

#7 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:48 AM

Nice additions guys :D I agree with you Jovan, I only used the paper filters in mine :D have seen a few young guys comes through dads shop with stuffed MAF's for this very reason.

#8 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:55 PM

Yeah sorry mate didnt mean to butt in, but i thought it be useful info that wasent in your write up, it was worth a mention that Oil in the filters kill em...

#9 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

Definately man, I invite anyone to add anything they think worthy :D

#10 Latham

Latham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

These are some of the problems I'm having with my car at the moment, I'll have to take it apart and have a look at it on the weekend. But if the maf isn't the problem what else could be causing these things?

#11 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

A great number of things, my man.

Welcome to TT life.

Is your check engine light on or flashing at times?

Boost leaks, vac leaks, bad plugs, bad coils, bad electrics, stuffed o2 sensors, stuffed maf sensor.... Shall I go on?

#12 Latham

Latham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:58 PM

A great number of things, my man.

Welcome to TT life.

Is your check engine light on or flashing at times?

Boost leaks, vac leaks, bad plugs, bad coils, bad electrics, stuffed o2 sensors, stuffed maf sensor.... Shall I go on?

The check engin light does come on every now and then, but I guess I'll start with the maf sensor first and give that a clean up, and if it continues to do it after then I'll just get a diognostic test done. It's also due for a service aswell.

#13 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

The check engin light does come on every now and then, but I guess I'll start with the maf sensor first and give that a clean up, and if it continues to do it after then I'll just get a diognostic test done. It's also due for a service aswell.

I like your attitude, mate.

I've spent way too much time fault finding on these things only to plug in a scanner and find the root cause of the CEL.
The DIY green plug diagnosis dance has sent me on many a wild goose chase.

#14 BE4ORE

BE4ORE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Cars, PS4 and my B4!!!

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:51 AM

I shall give this a go one day soon as well :)

#15 Latham

Latham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

I like your attitude, mate.

I've spent way too much time fault finding on these things only to plug in a scanner and find the root cause of the CEL.
The DIY green plug diagnosis dance has sent me on many a wild goose chase.

Yeah I don't want to spend to much time playing around with it. Just want to get it done and have it driving smooth again, all in good time tho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users