• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 boost

boost

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:cars with boost, cars that need no boost, etc..

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:22 PM

DIY Oil changers?

It's a bit messy but can be soul soothing.. Some people hate it, some love it, some have NO IDEA.. (hai soop!!)

First up: USED ENGINE OIL IS CARCINOGENIC! So WEAR some of Kosti's (love) GLOVES!

SECOND: CIGARETTE SMOKE is CARCINOGENIC! So STOP smoking you fool!

Now that's out of the way, here's a thread for to think out your thoughts more on the subject.. (if you know what I mean)..

WHEN? City driver? 5000km's Freeways? 7000-10000 km's if using <insert premium fully syn brandname here>

WHAT? OIL FILTER + SUMP PLUG WASHER.. Go for genuine.. I dare ya.. no really, you should... Remember the washer, it's easy to forget.

OIL.. I'm thinking Mobil1.. synthetic oil means you don't have to worry about GRADE.. So long as the lower number is lower and the higher is higher.. ie. instead of 10-30 you can use 0-70... IF it's 100% SYNTHETIC.. (If not fully syn go for as close to recommended as possible because this type of oil requires too many esters to get a greater range.. more HERE)

A super cheap OIL CHANGE KIT - which is a catch tray and filter tool.. Or even cheaper a roasting dish and sharp screwdriver xxtoolxx

A RAG.. or two.. also easy to forget until required.

MIGHT CONSIDER: An 'Engine Flush Additive' ? I don't but.. This is something you put in before you dump the old oil to 'wash' it out betterer..

METHOD: Warm the engine, it helps the oil run out. Elevate the car - preferably on ramps or axle stands..

Remove the underbody guard - a cordless drill is best.. Position the catch pan so that the oil will at first flow into it and then drip (with accuracy)..

With a 17mm ring spanner, loosen the under sump plug (STOP - If you have doubts about this ask someone!) Don't forget to drop it into the oil (happens all the time).. Replace this once the filter has been changed - BEFORE REFILLING! Change the washer.. All very straight forward.

Take off the old oil filter. Use the tool.. (no not the hammer..)

SOME PEOPLE turn the engine over to purge old oil. You can let it start and then switch it off to make more old oil come out..

NOW replace the filter.. Clean around the attachment on the engine and fill the filter with new oil for maximum brownie points. Be sure to 'wet' the rubber on the new filter with a film of clean oil.. TIGHTEN the new filter BY HAND.. Then if you want, add minimal additional turns (about one?) with the tool or a large plier-type tool CAREFULLY but.. it doesn't need to be TOO TIGHT!! Usually just do it by hand / with a rag - as tight as you can by hand is good.. (pink vs. purple)

So.. all back on and done up tight?

Fill the engine from the filler in the engine bay.. be sure to add the correct amount for your car.. (4.5l / 2.0 H4)

Dispose of the used engine oil by means appropriate to your up-bringing and socio-economic standing.. (Or leave it for the landlord).

Repeat every 5-10 thousands km's..

(TOP TIP:) While you're at <SUBARU MECHANIC / DEALER> ask about a group discount for AIR FILTERS, OIL FILTERS AND PLUG WASHERS and AIRCON/POLLEN/CABIN AIR FILTER CHANGE.. Happy motoring!
AWD + BOOST = SEXY TIME

#2 L1BER8ED

L1BER8ED

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:41 AM

good write up buddy... if my car made it that far without needing repairs, id prolly do it myself.. ha ha
he who laughs last .. thinks slowest....

TEAM BLUE OVAL

Posted Image[Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

good write up except for this part:

SOME PEOPLE turn the engine over to purge old oil. You can let it start and then switch it off to make more old oil come out..

DO NOT EVER DO THIS~!

never start your engine without oil. one contact with big end bearing and crank and thats it! here comes rod knock

#4 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

good write up except for this part:

DO NOT EVER DO THIS~!

never start your engine without oil. one contact with big end bearing and crank and thats it! here comes rod knock

I'm fairly the bearings would retain enough oil to spin for a few seconds.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#5 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

I still wouldn't be doing it.
TSM

#6 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:01 PM

xxtoolxx.. hahah I should bring that thread here and merge it with your write up!

#7 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

DO not ever start the car with no oil in it, if you do you are a tool simple. Anyone wanting to be pedantic and purge old oil out try pouring some nice new oil in (very minimum amount) while the sump plug is still of... probably wont do a great deal and will waste oil though. Never simply rely on the manufacturers quotation of how much oil to put in, use this as a guide. Fill till the level is full on the dip stick then start the car and run for about 30 seconds, turn the engine off and let it rest for another 30 seconds then re-check the level. if its down add a tiny bit more. if its right then leave it :D P.S. Boost you covered everything pretty well :D Nice write-up mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users