←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Project Anchorman - the legend of Burgundy...

fatcat67's Photo fatcat67 31 Oct 2011

RS block is also centre thrust.
I also found that the ring kits I have used have been well within tollerance on standard bores, even after a slight hone. However I'd love one of those ring gap grinders.
But its only for the builders of real tight tollerance race engines.

Marv's Photo Marv 31 Oct 2011

iain, your GTB crank is centre thrust yes? and the RS block is rear thrust. going to run centre thrust>? (machine costs worth the difference? id probably stick with the RS crank)

i was under the impression that subaru went back to rear thrust for a reason. That said, mine and micks motors and many other 250+kw ej25s are centre and have no crank end play issues..

if you are interested, i found a URL with an awesome tool for removing valve spring collets, Mick bought one and i used it (see below)... you can buy a valve lapping tool and paste and reseat all the valves for bugger all $$$ plus throw new stem seals at it ($120ish)

http://www.euroexportinc.com/store/

and this was the piston ring grinder.. check all the ring end metal.. that was from the top rings...

Thanks for the info, Paul. Being a 4-bolt block, I was under the impression the RS and GT-B cranks were centre-thrust. They certainly looked the same to me when I pulled it out of the block. I've got to organise how I'm going to store all the bits and pieces so i'll dig 'em out and take pics of the cranks, rods and pistons. They should all be the same, IIRC though. Going off info I'm digging back into my memory banks for (around 5-6 years back!) they changed the "thrust positioning" (heheheheehe) when they went 8-bolt blocks (also when they discontinued closed decks).

A lot of people have been trying to get me to spring for forged pistons and rods for this thing. If I can sell that Cusco rear swaybar and the 550cc injectors I bought recently I'll seriously look into it.

implanted4's Photo implanted4 18 Nov 2011

no point going for forged stuff unless you intend pushing way past 200wkw. nice to know you have the safety margin, but not really needed for a mild build...

get in touch with mick, im sure he has some second hand forged pistons lying around..

oh, and i got my 'thrusts' arse about. mine and micks are rear.. not sure what drugs i was on that day...

Marv's Photo Marv 20 Nov 2011

Ive gone a completely different way now. Sold my CD block. Selling the V3 sti short.

Morgan's Photo Morgan 20 Nov 2011

Drove past the Mrs and I in Woy Woy yesterday. We were on the sidewalk opposite the station.
Looks/sounds good ;)

Marv's Photo Marv 21 Nov 2011

Thanks bloke :)

Should go better just as soon as I've got this EA82 in, too...

wraithrslib's Photo wraithrslib 05 Dec 2011

Excellent work marv dam that would of been murder to rub back that wags to the level you did well done!

cheers wayne

Marv's Photo Marv 06 Dec 2011

Thanks Wayne. Was a hell of a lot of work. I'll never do it in a week again (if the car is hail damaged)

Marv's Photo Marv 22 Feb 2012

Car is for sale $9700

Comes with heaps of spares including headers, hubs, brakes, etc.

There is also an ej207 ahort motor with 98 gtb heads and v3 intake manifold with parallel rails for $1500

Matt's Photo Matt 22 Feb 2012

Whats next?

Marv's Photo Marv 22 Feb 2012

Something boring til i can afford the next silly car... Which will be uber silly

Richo's Photo Richo 22 Feb 2012

This is a sillycar

http://upload.wikime...ack_ca_1976.JPG

Matt's Photo Matt 22 Feb 2012

Sounds a bit silly to me

:D

fatcat67's Photo fatcat67 22 Feb 2012

Car is for sale $9700

Comes with heaps of spares including headers, hubs, brakes, etc.

There is also an ej207 ahort motor with 98 gtb heads and v3 intake manifold with parallel rails for $1500

Fark thats a good price on the engine, heads and sundries.
If it were a 255 or 257 consider it mine.
PS: thanks for the advice the other day. :)

AussieTemplar's Photo AussieTemplar 22 Feb 2012

Another E30 Iain!!!

PS, I sold that shitty red 323i and bought my self a 325iS with 135k on the clock.

Doing it right this time.

Marv's Photo Marv 23 Feb 2012

Haha, nah will get somethign boring and probably too sensible. :) Need a commuter car and something I can not care about for a while.

Here's the updated specs on Ron. I reckon there's a lot of car here for $9700. With the motor, it'll pretty much be a GD STi with an older, better body on top.

1993 Subaru RS Liberty wagon - $9700

ENGINE
1996 WRX EJ20G long motor, VF23 turbo (ver3 STi), custom front-mount air:air intercooler, custom parallel fuel rails, phenolic intake manifold spacers, 440cc Ver3 STi fuel injectors, adjustable Sard fuel regulator and gauge, 2001 STi coil-on-plug conversion, Gen2 Liberty airbox, custom catch can set-up with new breathers, GFB manual boost controller, 3” exhaust, Walbro fuel pump

DRIVETRAIN
2005 STi DCCD 6speed gearbox, 2005 plated r180 diff, 2000-model Ver6 STi RA r180 hubs and driveshafts, Exedy Motorsport HD clutch, 6-speed flywheel, 6-speed starter, 6-speed clutch slave and master cylinders

SUSPENSION
Custom-valved Bilstein shocks and Kings Ultra Low springs, 2002 GD STi rear cradle (better roll centres), Cusco pillow-mount arms, late-model power steering setup (rack, PS lines and pump – comes with spare pump)

BRAKES
Front: 1999 WRX 4-pots, solid rotors, Ferodo DS2000 pads, Goodridge braided lines
Rear: 2pot GD WRX, new DBA 4000 slotted rotors, QFM pads, Goodridge braided lines

WHEELS
17x7-inch 2006 WRX rims – OR 17x7-inch Liberty GT rims

INTERIOR
Stock RS Liberty seats, Alpine head unit (with Ipod integration), Pioneer speakers, polished STi pedals

BODY
Resprayed Ford Vixen red, sound-proofed front doors, GX non-turbo bonnet, towbar

OTHER
Registered ‘til late September 2012, rails are straight and no rust, air con blows cold. There’s 370,000km on the body, less than 50,000km on the drivetrain (box, diff, hubs, suspension, etc) and under 200k on the motor. Comes with spare remote reservoir power steering pump ($200 worth), spare custom ported headers with custom up-pipe, spare parallel fuel rail set-up (with Version 3 STi intake manifold). I also have a spare motor (EJ207 forged short with 1998 Legacy GT-B heads) which will be for sale for $1500 or less if it goes with the car.

Don't PM me on here - I'm not on forums much at all. Email me at iainkellyis at gmail dot com

Marv's Photo Marv 05 Mar 2012

Well, thanks to Al at AM Auto it looks like I'm swapping Ron Burgundy for a sensible auto Toyota sedan.

The owner is actually a Toyota man, but will use the wagon for his business.

Thanks for all the fun, Suby Club. Take it easy, boys (and girls)

aekOne's Photo aekOne 05 Mar 2012

congrats on the sale mate. see ya round i guess haha

Morgan's Photo Morgan 05 Mar 2012

Congrats on the new car.

Don't be a stranger :)

Adam's Photo Adam 05 Mar 2012

Congrats on the new car.

Don't be a stranger :)

+1