• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

We (Mark and I) were going to do this thread, then we saw Dylan's thread on bleeding brakes, also in the DIY section...but we'd already taken pictures, lots and lots of pictures for the noobs, so we're doing the thread anyway, deal with it. :sarcastic:

We used:

-A friend to pump the brake pedal

-Nulon Dot 4 brake fluid, 2 bottles, 500ml each
Posted Image

-10mm or 8mm spanner
Posted Image

-Small piece of fuel or vacuum hose to fit over the bleed nipple
Posted Image

-A jar or similar to bleed the fluid into
Posted Image

-A bottle or similar to dispose of the fluid correctly and safely
-A trolley jack
-Stuff to remove wheels
-Conventional garden hose
-Vanilla coke for energy and funnels
-Common sense, derp.

Step 1
Chock the front wheels so your car doesn't roll away. We're going to start with the rear left side as it's the furthest away from the master cylinder.

Posted Image

Step 2
Crack your nuts (the wheel nuts, or whatever tickles your fancy), place the jack underneath the rear of the car and start pumpin until the wheel is off the ground (derp). Remove the wheel and place underneath the car for safety if you don't like to live dangerously.

Posted Image

Step 3
Remove the dust cover on the bleed nipple, as shown here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 4
Check your fluid level, and top up if need be. If you're lazy like me, your brake fluid will look like this and you probably should have changed it 20,000kms ago:

Posted Image

Step 5
Set up the hose, spanner and jar as pictured, lefty loosey, tighty righty! Get your friend to pump the brake pedal a few times to build up pressure in the system.

Posted Image

This is what a brake pedal looks like:

Posted Image

Step 6
Get your friend to push down and hold the brake pedal, while he/she/heshe/it is doing this, open the bleed nipple until the fluid comes out, at this stage the pedal will go to the floor. It is important that your friend doesn't release the pedal until you have tightened the bleed nipple again as this can let air into the system. Air in system equals :negative:.

EDIT, we have been advised that it is not recommended to push the pedal all the way to the floor as it MAY cause damage to the cups inside the bore. Only push the pedal as far it would normally go when braking.

Repeat the process until the fluid reservoir reaches the low marker.
Video for your convenience, communication is key! :drinks:
http://www.youtube.c...u/0/rBXKggk9PwU

Your fluid will probably look like this:
Posted Image

Step 7
Make your funnel as pictured and collect and dispose of the fluid correctly.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 8

Re-fill the reservoir with fresh brake fluid and repeat the process.
After repeating the process a number of times, your fluid should run clean and come out like this:
Posted Image

Your reservoir will look like this:
Posted Image

Step 9
After the fluid is clean, tighten the nipple back up, replace the dust cover, and give the surrounding area a quick hose...and now it's natures problem!
Posted Image

Put the wheel back on and lower the car.

Step 10
Repeat the process on the rear right-hand side as it's the next furthest from the master cylinder.

Step 11
Move to the front left wheel and repeat the above processes again.
Posted Image

As you can see, my dust covers were missing on the front calipers. We encountered a problem where the fluid wouldn't come out the nipple (a common problem with new mothers). This was an easy fix, we removed the bleed nipple and cleared it out with some wire to remove the gunk causing the blockage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 12
After the fluid has run clean on all of the calipers, and you've topped up your master cylinder reservoir, go for a boost and test out your handywork!

Posted Image

Crack a beer, then write a DIY thread on subyclub! :drinks:
Cheers, Grant and Mark (Scuba-Roo)

#2 Marty

Marty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

I'd go for a clear vac hose next time, that way you can see the colour and also make sure no air bubbles move back up the hose before you tighten the nut.
you just read my sig

#3 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:47 PM

Nice, Just one thing that is worth noting.... when you are pumping the pedal it is a good idea to not pump it to the floor, don't pump it really any further than what it would have travelled as there is a SLIM chance you can damage the cups if the inside of the bore has some questionable stuff gathering around it.

It's not one of those "oh you pushed it past the point now it will implode and kill a family" type things, but on an older car it is a very real possibility.

takes a little longer to bleed the system but better than taking risks (however small :D)

#4 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

I'd go for a clear vac hose next time, that way you can see the colour and also make sure no air bubbles move back up the hose before you tighten the nut.

I use a clear hose like you are saying, hose actually stays full of fluid until you take it off, that way you do not need to worry about air getting back in the calipers.

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

good idea to not pump it to the floor, don't pump it really any further than what it would have travelled

THIS

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#6 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when you back me up on something like that Jase :D :P

I got something right hehe :P

#7 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

Duly noted gents, thanks for the advice, edited accordingly :)

#8 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Very important point when bleeding brakes.

I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when you back me up

/no homo

:)

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#9 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

Never heard of that before,or ever had a problem doing it this way. but it makes sense. I guess if your worried about it put a small block of wood under the pedal.

As for the clear hose, it's easy enough to hear the bubbles pop out, and you can tell how dirty the fluid is that has come out when it's in the jar. I just found black hose and used that, but if I had to buy the hose I would buy clear hose.

Cheers for the extra info fella's :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#10 Snootaloop

Snootaloop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hey guys I'm almost up to this procedure as puttin new rotors on as I've just takin the old ones off would it hurt to wire brush the rust off from behind where rotors org were? If so would a coat of somethin like cold gal do any harm?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users