#1 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:cars cars and um more cars

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

i dont know if this is right or not but im under the impression they work off the ecu ?
by transfering 20% to rear then when / if it starts sliping and puts 20% more power back to the front?

or is it like a open diff configuration ?
so if it detects wheel spin on 1 wheel it transfers power to the other 3 wheels ?

ive looked up wiki but finding it hard to understand the way they are explaining it

was just curious as what the differance between AWD and 4wd witch is what got me onto this subject
Posted Image

#2 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

Have a read through this mate. Might answer a few questions, if not it's still an interesting read anyway.

http://www.subyclub....td-awd-systems/

#3 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

thanks theres just so much BS on the web on how they actualy work its hard to know what is true and witch is not

did a search on here and could not find anything lol amazeing what happens if i typed the correct things

thanks Jesse
Posted Image

#4 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

well my next question is

how the hell do they make RWD only suby's as i swear i have seem them before on D1 drift?

or are they just 90% rear 10% front ?
not that im wishing to do it. as i believe the costs would out weigh the fun factor and you would just buy a RWD car for that purpose

im just really intrigued in there AWD system its so simple yet so sophisticated

also looking into what i can change in the 92 libby as it will be a track car with the occasional street cruise wanting to do hill climb time trails so wanting to increase handling performance
as diff's play a huge part and ive never looked into how AWD system work
Posted Image

#5 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:32 PM

Best to do a search on Rexnet about that one.

Too much time and money involved. Plus why bother buying a Suby to make it RWD...kinda defeats the purpose.

#6 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

as i said lol im not wishing to do a rwd conversion was just intressted how you would do the conversion as the gearbox is designed to run as AWD and suspansion would be all out of whack for that set up just had me intressted is all
no way im going rwd. if i wanted to id just go buy a skyline like every other tom **** and harry and make it rice with a big BOV
Posted Image

#7 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:02 PM

Weld up the centre diff and remove the front driveshafts. Some places make a new diff you can out in.

Go for a 6speed with dccd. But I'd break your current gearbox first then worry about it

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#8 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:10 PM

I think somewhere like PPG make a spool to replace something in the gearbox to remove all drive to the front. From memory its about 10 grand. As the others have said, search it, probably on some of the other forums.

Ben

Edit - I should probably put here for some noob guesting that reads this - Doing this creates LOTS of mechanical issues. R160 and to a certain degree R180 diffs are NOT designed to take the amount power/torque a late model turbo suby puts out in total. There are reasons Subaru changed the maximum F/R ratios on their DCCD boxes from 70/30 to 65/35 after their first year or two. You WILL have issues.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#9 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

PPG and Chiptorque make spools - both around the $800 - $1k mark.

Leave the front CV's in or change them out for male stubs.

Get ready to break the R160 diff and rear CV's and probably the prop shaft too.
Put in an R180 with a Cusco (or similar) 1.5 or 2 way LSD and the R180 CV's (so hubs, bearing etc too) and go sideways.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#10 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

Best to do a search on Rexnet about that one.

Too much time and money involved. Plus why bother buying a Suby to make it RWD...kinda defeats the purpose.

yeah guessed that much some ppl must have alot of coin to blow for a useless conversion like this.well not useless i guess but a money pit and useless for anything but drift after spending like 15k geting it sweet more problems then fun

thanks for the link jesse it helped alot least now i have a better understanding of the awd system

at least now i know to a certain degrea

as i said theres no way in hell im changeing her to a RWD i love AWD
Posted Image

#11 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

No worries.

#12 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

Weld up the centre diff and remove the front driveshafts. Some places make a new diff you can out in.

Go for a 6speed with dccd. But I'd break your current gearbox first then worry about it

the 6 speed is already in the plans mate will be geting done with the rest of my build
Posted Image

#13 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

....in addition to this comment, i saw a small thread on rexnet or sli or somewhere about some ppl just grabbing a second hand diff and taking a cuple steps in bypassing the front diff to send all the power to the rear.. i assume it wuldnt actually be that expensive -no idea how much a 2nd hand diff goes for? assuming a cuple hundy depending on condition? ...this pricing makes it more worth your lulz! :diablo:

#14 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

....in addition to this comment, i saw a small thread on rexnet or sli or somewhere about some ppl just grabbing a second hand diff and taking a cuple steps in bypassing the front diff to send all the power to the rear.. i assume it wuldnt actually be that expensive -no idea how much a 2nd hand diff goes for? assuming a cuple hundy depending on condition? ...this pricing makes it more worth your lulz! :diablo:

yeah was reading about that also some where last night

but would still cost you heaps in the end as your puting 2x the load/torque onto drive shafts/rear diff/ axles
and i would guess you would really have to stiffen up your rear to stop bounce and make some sort of stronger tramp bar i beleive its called

but i would believe you would get real easy wheel spin as of the angle's of the rear suspansion provideing nothing was to break

and that would be just for straight line skids

for drift you would really have to also change your front end cambers and some how get a tighter turning circle/ steering ratio = custom made front end

so you would still be looking around the 7 to 10k mark if you could get it to work and not have it break

not saying its impossible but would be alot of trail and error and a bank load of cash
Posted Image

#15 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

Has anyone actually seen first hand a diff that's been destroyed by someone using a RWD spool? Theory says they should break less often than when being used in AWD.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#16 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

Has anyone actually seen first hand a diff that's been destroyed by someone using a RWD spool? Theory says they should break less often than when being used in AWD.

From Wiki

Spool
A spool rear end allows no differential rotation. A spool consists of a pinion & ring gear only, the center is solid, making the axles act as one piece. A mini-spool is similar, replacing the usual differential side gears and spider gears with a solid piece, retaining the factory differential carrier. Spool rear ends are used to achieve a similar effect to an LSD on some street and race cars. This arrangement is popular in 'drifting' where drivers aim for flamboyance rather than speed. Those that use the car for "drifting purposes" often weld the gears in a standard open differential together to produce a homemade spool.
It is also preferred by drag racing enthusiasts for 2 main reasons. A straighter launch is achieved because power is split evenly between the wheels. High horsepower vehicles with a spool generally aim straight even with wheel spin. They can also be made stronger, for a given size and weight. Because of the solid center design and lack of side gears, cross pin and spider gears, a spool can take much more abuse. This is especially important for drag racers that shock their drive trains with hard launches and sticky tires. However, turning is more difficult with the wheels locked together (the outside wheel has a greater distance to travel than the inside wheel and thus has to rotate faster to compensate

good point

but would put alot of stress on the axle's so i see the axles being the weak point not the diff it self
Posted Image

#17 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hi,

I have seen a Subaru put to RWD blow the rear diff while I was standing there watching.

Hack backyard job, but whatever. It's a VCD setup. Shit is made of glass braahhh.

Cheers,
Nik

#18 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

I would love to know this too, Luke.

Everyone says "OH NOES YOU CAN'T DO THAT, THE WORLD WILL EXPLODE!1!!". But I would love to see it done, driven in the real world with reasonable power and see if it actually does give way.

#19 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hi Tom,

See above.

Cheers,
Nik

#20 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

That surprises me a little Nik. What were they doing at the time?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users