←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

J-C’s Gen 3 RX Wagon

Cam.'s Photo Cam. 18 Sep 2012

In standard form they aren't that bad with the 3.9 box. It's when you start giving it more power and torque that the sh*t hits the fan.
The box will eventually grenade, They are called the glass box for a reason.

With a MY02, The 4.44 box in standard form is awesome. It's been covered many times and as long as you don't drive like a d*ck head. It will live a long happy life.
And if it does blow up, You can throw a set of 1-5 V6 STI RA gears,new bearings and forks in for pretty cheap. It'll match your diff too!

They can look good with some cosmetics, Still ugly though. It grows on you!

Posted Image

FR34KO's Photo FR34KO 18 Sep 2012

There are the odd BUG that look like pure SECKS

It's amazing, but i actually prefer this Bug over the Pig

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

...............I'm sorry, but i had to!

BigWillieStyles's Photo BigWillieStyles 19 Sep 2012

Subaru is yet to make a pretty wrx but the bugeye looks quite good IMO.

alexGT's Photo alexGT 19 Sep 2012

Those gearboxes broke Under stock power levels. I'm yet to hear of an 06+ box breaking. They were revised in 02 then again in 06 (and went to push clutch)

Josh.'s Photo Josh. 19 Sep 2012

How many km's do most glass boxes last before they break?

Cam.'s Photo Cam. 19 Sep 2012

Ticking time bombs, It could just be one snap of second that will do it.

Scuba-Roo's Photo Scuba-Roo 19 Sep 2012

Those gearboxes broke Under stock power levels. I'm yet to hear of an 06+ box breaking. They were revised in 02 then again in 06 (and went to push clutch)

The same as an NA?

FR34KO's Photo FR34KO 19 Sep 2012

Forgive me; but what be a push clutch good sirs?

Josh.'s Photo Josh. 19 Sep 2012

Thanks for all the help and info guys, I really appreciate it.
I have decided to forget the MY01 and am going to look at a MY02 tonight, although it is more expensive I believe it will work out cheaper in the long run.

Grant's Photo Grant 19 Sep 2012

How many km's do most glass boxes last before they break?

There's no set kms that they will break, it all depends on how you and the previous owners have driven it and maintained it. If you don't drive like a tosser everywhere and don't dump the clutch at every set of lights it'll last fine. I've got a V2 sti gearbox in my RS that has ~135,000kms on it that has had an incredibly hard life from previous owners (skidpans, track days, drags, you name it, it's been through it) the synchros are worn but other than that it's still going strong with ~170kw and I don't exactly baby it. A bit of mechanical sympathy goes a long way :)

cameron's Photo cameron 19 Sep 2012

Thanks for all the help and info guys, I really appreciate it.
I have decided to forget the MY01 and am going to look at a MY02 tonight, although it is more expensive I believe it will work out cheaper in the long run.

whats your price range??