←  General

Suby Club

»

Gearbox problems

AussieTemplar's Photo AussieTemplar 06 Sep 2011

Hey lads,

My mate has a Gen2 Billy sedan, auto, he's had a few gearbox problems, but for some reason wasn't able to get onto the website.. Not sure what the go was but this is what he wanted to pass on and any help would be appreciated.

we replaced a automatic transmission in my liberty and this is the original code. tz102z3daa-kg.. the one that was sold to me was a tz102z1aba-cj.. i am now having problems with this gear box.. i think the diff ratio on these 2 boxes are different.. can someone please tell me were i can find these diff ratios on both gear boxes from..

Thanks,
Nick.

AussieTemplar's Photo AussieTemplar 07 Sep 2011

Anyone? Cheers.

Shaz's Photo Shaz 07 Sep 2011

A quick Google search reveals the following.

tz102z3daa-kg = STI AUTO BOX that is fitted to EJ20 Engine.
tz102z1aba-cj = BG9 Subaru LEGACY Grandwagon 1996

Don't know if that helps mate, and i'm unsure if the above info is actually correct (But its on the internet so it must be) but it sounds like the box may not be mating correctly to rear diff. Is he getting shuddering or whining?

Adam's Photo Adam 07 Sep 2011

I won't be able to help, but a description of the actual problem may help other guys help him!

acres's Photo acres 07 Sep 2011

Feedback.Subaru@subaru.com.au

Send them an email regarding diff ratios. Im sure they will provide the answer.

aekOne's Photo aekOne 07 Sep 2011

do you know what cars they actually came out of?

A quick Google search reveals the following.

tz102z3daa-kg = STI AUTO BOX that is fitted to EJ20 Engine.

That’s not correct mate. that first code is a gen 2 Liberty/Legacy BG9 non-turbo 4EAT transmission code. The second code I believe could be from a gen 2 outback but I’m not 100%

Only the latest model STI’s have been released with an automatic transmission

Marv's Photo Marv 07 Sep 2011

There were auto Stis in Japan back in GC8 days.

aekOne's Photo aekOne 07 Sep 2011

yeah sorry i did know that BUT it's not an STI transmission code anyway (unless they're the same but i doubt that)

Thanks guys, I did a google before but couldn't decipher any of the Russian I found. I'll show him this thread again and see if he is able to access the website now.

Start's Photo Start 07 Sep 2011

Its the correct ratio... I'd take it to a shop or plug it into a datascan and get them to see if the TCM is putting out a code.

He went from a 97-98 to possibly earlier model trans, the TCM may have a minor change. What are the symptoms?

Maybe he got a dud box.

TZ102Z3DAA '97, February — '98, November
2 – LEGACY BG-9 TZ102Z1ABA EJ-25

Great reply! Thanks dude, I'll past it to him. He reckons the guy who sold it to him was dodgy, so he's going to try and take it back.

tell him the symptons r the guy seems like its bouncing nd seems like itss lockedd.. Say my uncle is a mechanic nd he said its deff the boxx

^ That's what he just told me, excuse the ghetto english.