6 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickGHD

PatrickGHD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hello all,

I have a 2010 model Impreza R (5 door hatch). I have read the manual and I am trying to change the Parkers and Number Plate lights.

I need some help, for the parkers, I need to remove 3 screws to loosen the plastic guards near the wheels. I can unscrew the 2 screws easily but the third one is not unscrewed able (it doesn't have a + grove) I think it is meant to be pulled out but it is really hard to pull out, I've tried screw driver, hands and even pliers. Any ideas? is there meant to be a certain tool used to unscrew that 3rd screw?

As for the number plate license one, the book says I need to pull it out from the right side (of the plastic cover) and then turn to the left but I can not pull it out. Has anyone had experience with changing these bulbs before? I want to convert them to LEDs.

Thanks for your time

#2 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

"I need to remove 3 screws to loosen the plastic guards near the wheels"

WTF?

I hate all new impreza's for changing bulbs..
what are you trying to remove exactly? on this model do you need to remove the Grill>Bumper>headlight and then swap the globes?

if so good luck.. that's what you have to do on Peanut/blob eye rex's... such a stupid design, my ex took her car to a local mechanic and asked if he can swap the Parker too while doing a general service.. 2 hours later she returned and the mechanic was not happy.. took him like 3 hours or something to get it done.. 1 hr on the service 2 hours on the Parker globe haha
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#3 PatrickGHD

PatrickGHD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:02 PM

Well yes I agree, it seems like it's been designed to be done at the dealers.
I have a Mazda 2 - pop up bonnet, unscrew holder, replace bulb, re-screw holder.
Mitsubishi Magna - pop up bonnet, unlock headlights, remove holder, replace globe, reverse process.

This is by far the most annoying design, I agree.

According to the book........ I need to drive, steer in the opposite direction so the wheel is facing inwards towards the body, the plastic bit above and around the wheels needs to be opened, by removing 2 screws and one pop style screw (pain in the back to explain) and then pull back all the plastic guard, stick my hand in, find the holder, unscrew, bring towards wheel, remove bulb, replace bulb, and reverse process.........

And hence why I had to resort to being a noob and post here :(

#4 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

those clips (the pop clip ones) are a pain.. you should be lucky enough in that they are still new and not brittle, once they become brittle the tiny bit the give you to lever it up by snapps off then you end up trying to tear it out.. which is a real pain!.

good luck.. it really is rediculous how hard the recent models are to change a simple globe!
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#5 Judgeme

Judgeme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:52 AM

Hay Patrick,

I too have the same car. I am not too sure about the parker lights but i did change my headlights to HID's and for them all i had to do was remove the front part of the air filter, and on the other side disconnect the top of the water spray bottle and it was easy access and i assumed it was similar for the parker lights....

Also i want to change my licence plate lights to white LED's but i always seem to forget to look in the book when i go to my car, what globe types do i need/What ones did u buy??

Posted Image

#6 PatrickGHD

PatrickGHD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

Thanks guys,

I haven't been able to open up the number plate lights yet, but I've bought T10 Wedges to go in, I assume they will be T10 but I will post an update if I manage to get it done. :)

#7 PatrickGHD

PatrickGHD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:55 AM

OK guys, got it all done.

Number plate and Parkers are T10 globes. I used LED SMD bulbs, a bit longer than usual T10 glass bulbs. The front they will fit ok but the back won't fit so nicely, the LED will touch the plastic case a bit, I recommend you get a shorter SMD or one that is the same length as the Glass globes.

As for the removing the parkers, I figured my problem, I was trying to remove the big "Pop Screw" from the body, but what you have to do it remove it from the Washer around it, just stick a screw driver in and push the washer down and wedge up the actual pop screw. I broke a bit of the fender lining though :/ so please be gentle when trying to remove the screws (I broke it from forcing it out, shouldn't happen if you use the remove from washer method, so don't worry about breaking it too much.)

But still must say compared to previous cars I've owned, you need the smallest hands to change the parkers and still you'll get a bit of cuts here and there from the fender lining. I would have to say its the best car design (I've owned) but as for changing bulbs, worse car design I've owned so far.

If anyone needs any more info, feel free to ask, it's not that easy for me to explain what I did in one go :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users