• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:42 PM

I tried 3 weeks ago for springs and they told me so. Theres also a thread on RSLC about it recently. Its not part of their "core" buisness anymore.

They may have some shelf stock left, but dont make them anymore.

whiteline never made springs, they are rebadged dobinsons from the uk, re the impreza springs in a lib, no they wont fit, well the fronts will, but not rears.

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#22 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:53 PM

To save starting a new thread thought mayaswell use the old on. Anyone know if strut braces for a GC8 rex wagon will fit my car? im 99% sure the fronts do and talking to ash im fairly sure the rears will if i re-drill them for the g1s1 set-up... any thoughts? Also theres some struts of a g1s2 RS sedan for cheap, i'd need springs obviously but would it be possible to redrill the rears and make them fit like what soop was/did do for his now deceased gheto wagon? Cheers guys :D

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#23 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

i too have a compatability question... are some swaybars interchangeable? or not? like wrx ones on a lib?

2mmwi1w.jpg

#24 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

No they're not. For the $200 they charge for a BD sway bar, why feck around. It's very easy to fit GC8 gear into any lib, 10mm drill bit will save lots of headaches. If you're really worried about the other hole, just whack another nut and bolt through it and do it up tight to stop it *flexing. *it won't flex.
TSM

#25 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

No they're not.
For the $200 they charge for a BD sway bar, why feck around.

It's very easy to fit GC8 gear into any lib, 10mm drill bit will save lots of headaches. If you're really worried about the other hole, just whack another nut and bolt through it and do it up tight to stop it *flexing.

*it won't flex.

I think T means upgrading to stock wrx ones...

Sounds sweet soop. Im guessing same applys for the rs lib ones?

#26 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

I think T means upgrading to stock wrx ones...

Sounds sweet soop. Im guessing same applys for the rs lib ones?

na, i was more thinking of the aftermarket ones...

there are always swaybars on rexnet... i was just wondering if it was possible to get a rex one to put it in a liberty...

just wondering that's all.

2mmwi1w.jpg

#27 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

The rs lib 'apprently' use 20mm bars on the front, that would fit a gen1 anyway :P well I hope so cause that with HD link would be a nice cheap upgrade :)

#28 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

Bullshit. RS has either a 16mm or 19mm front sway bar (can't remember which). Tristan, if a standard WRX sway bar won't fit a lib, an aftermarket one won't. Stop being a tight arse. Save the money for a couple of weeks more, and buy what few parts are actually availible off the shelf for your car. Mark, I wouldn't bother with RS struts. Get some late model (Pre 2005 IIRC) STi struts, do the rear mount mod and away you go. WRX struts aren't an upgrade, they're just standard KYB struts.
TSM

#29 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

Bullshit.
RS has either a 16mm or 19mm front sway bar (can't remember which).

Tristan, if a standard WRX sway bar won't fit a lib, an aftermarket one won't.
Stop being a tight arse. Save the money for a couple of weeks more, and buy what few parts are actually availible off the shelf for your car.

Mark, I wouldn't bother with RS struts. Get some late model (Pre 2005 IIRC) STi struts, do the rear mount mod and away you go.
WRX struts aren't an upgrade, they're just standard KYB struts.

I've been looking a bit for sti struts and bilsteins. Havnt seen many. Im still running air shocks so these rs struts and a set of new king spring should be sweet. In comparison. To what I have. I dunno how much of a difference it will make aswell considering I won't be on a track.
I guess if I can find sti/bilstein struts at a reasonable price I'l get em but the kybs them selves will be a worthy upgrade :)

I guess spring wise I'd just order springs for a lib wagon?

Maybe the sway bar was an aftermaket one the for sale add just said 20mm rs sway bar

Thanks for your help so far paul. Muchly appreciate it :)

#30 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

Get on Import monster, and get some billies at very least. You're wasting your money on standard KYB's mate.
TSM

#31 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

The billies would be about 3 times more expensive then my current plan, but nothing is set in concrete yet. Had a bit of a look Considering im just gonna chuck the springs away the billies are the same price as brand new kybs but the billies are like 10yrs old. I'l see what I can find in the next couple week though

#32 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Generally cars in Japan don't travel all that far (like 40-80k is their lifespan), so disregard the physical age. The problem you'll have with anything you buy over here, is generally when people replace them. Its for a reason. It is possible to get GTB bilstiens from IM for around $350 landed. You will need to modify the rear strut mounts, but so what. It's a 10minute job in a wagon. Also, lowered springs on KYB struts will almost certainly be a mis-match between spring and damper. Which is sweet for sikheticness but suck for any kind of handling improvement. So as I say, unless your air suspension is totally munted, save your money and buy either late model STi stuff or billies from IM. It'll suck having to wait, but it'll be far more benificial than replacing it with rooted struts. Don't make me start calling you Tristan. (Haaiiii Tristan!)
TSM

#33 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

Yeah I know ur point. I do want the car abit lower to the ground though. Like 1.5" don't want hecktic tuking just a lower ride heigh :) Might have to wait for krudd to help me out unless the aussie dollar goes up!

#34 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

STi struts drop Gen1's by around 15mm. The later the model the better, so long as its Pre-05.
TSM

#35 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

How much are decent STi struts? $300-$400? If i was keeping my car and was buying struts again i wouldnt consider standard replacements. Theres only a marginal gain and for the cost $538 at trade) not much bang for your buck. My vote, billies with STi pinks off IM.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#36 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

How much are decent STi struts? $300-$400? If i was keeping my car and was buying struts again i wouldnt consider standard replacements. Theres only a marginal gain and for the cost $538 at trade) not much bang for your buck.

My vote, billies with STi pinks off IM.

massive risk as you dont know what condition the struts are here. fair enough you may get them cheap but good chance they are stuffed and need rebuilding ($480 a pair)

i got a set of my02 sti struts for $320. 60k on them excellent condition straight bolt in.

MY07 GT spec B

#37 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

I can get the billies locally for 625 or whatever but then I need new springs still. Which isn't much more then what they are off IM I just don't wanna spend bucket loads on suspensions. Although I want a reliable set-up. Can you recondition sti struts? Thoughts on buying tristens then reconditioning them and sourceing some rears of IM or something?

#38 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

Don't buy Tristans. They're KYB's AFAIK. Do it once do it right.
TSM

#39 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

Ah ok thought they were sti's inwhich case it'd be different. Cmon krudd moneys

#40 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:38 PM

when i bought them i was told that the fronts are STis... version 4 i think... or you can buy my coilovers (and take them to cardiff automotive and get the dodgey one replaced) and i'll buy some other struts... :P cardiff automotive sell billies for $600 a set, with a 3 month warranty... and i've got some STi springs sitting in my garage (HAI DYLAN)... you could buy them of dyl

2mmwi1w.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users