15 replies to this topic

#1 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

Howdy folks. Just wondering if any of you may have removed the valves from an EJ head before. If so, how did you go about it?
TSM

#2 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:43 PM

a sledgehammer... i hear that may work?
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#3 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

Yeah cheers Matt :huh: Anyone have any actual idea?
TSM

#4 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

you said backyard sytles.. HAII SOOPYY
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#5 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

check with dtrally ?

Stuff goes here

#6 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:08 PM

Yeah, I'll hit Doug up when he's online next. Edit: Never mind, I got hold of Billsy.
TSM

#7 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:12 AM

Wouldn't it be the same way as a normal block? get some valve spring compressors, remove the circlip etc, obviously take the rocker arms off first..

#8 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

Wouldn't it be the same way as a normal block?

get some valve spring compressors, remove the circlip etc, obviously take the rocker arms off first..

Unless it is the DOHC version in which case you just remove the cams :P

Paul you should make a thread with a good step by step on removing the valves, be a good one to have in the inventory and every little tech thread helps.

#9 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

dont forget pics.

#10 Billsy

Billsy

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Cars n shit!

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:20 PM

good luck getting a std valve spring compressor to work on an EJ as the bucket guides enclose the spring. you can ghetto it using sockets etc, or theres a proper tool.

#11 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:23 PM

Yeah, no freaking way. You can't actually see the spring. I'll probably hook into this weekend. Cheers for the Help Billsy.
TSM

#12 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:56 PM

socket on extension bar and hit it with hammer,retaining clips pop right out.

#13 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:52 PM

ha ha i had the same dilema with my current engine(not subaru). my usual ohc tool wasn't working so i ordered a valve spring compressor specificly for deep pockets. if you do get one, make sure you get it centred and then try to compress because what happened with me was the end of the tool kept slipping and scracted the lifter bore(and if that happens your f**ked). i'd recoment you trying to get some cloth all round the lifter bore and also hammer the spring once so that you crack collet to valve bond then once you compress with the tool get a magnet and remove the collets and its all easy after that. please practice on a junk head first. also, if your not clamping down the head it helps if you get someone to hold the head. good luck. if you don't want to spend money and your good with the grinder. get like a 19 or 21mm deep socket and cut rectangles out of each side and then it will work with your basic valve spring compressor but i'm not certain on this. And definatly NEVER just try to hammer it and hope the collets will pop out, it does not work, i've tried it.

#14 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

Jack4cars -> And definatly NEVER just try to hammer it and hope the collets will pop out, it does not work, i've tried it. HAHAHAHAH!!! GOLD!

#15 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

i have out of an EJ25 single cam but they are all the same, there is a special tool required which compresses the spring so the 2 little clips come out and dont do it on grass. i got the tool from scotts auto one i believe it cost me $70 very dear but u buy it once and use it only once.....

Posted Image

thats what i own

#16 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:59 PM

single cam heads are different.
TSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic