←  Suspension / Drivetrain / Rims

Suby Club

»

Suspension and crossmember

Ren-dog's Photo Ren-dog 25 Nov 2011

My 98 Gen2 Liberty RX Sedan suspension is really in need of replacement, drivers side is about 2-3cm lower then passenger and its spongy as hell. What would be my best bet for price vs performance.
I dont want to lower the car much because i already grind going in and out of the servo.
The bushes appear to be in decant condition.

Should i just do springs? Or shocks as well? Are coil overs worth it? Should i just get STi gear? I would like a firmer ride as i dont like soft (all my cars have been firm and i like it that way).

Also apparently because i have an RX i have the crossmember from a turbo. So its near impossible for me to find a new set of extractors (mine are cracked and leaking) to suit the car.

Is it possible to get a standard crossmember and install that?

Cheers!
Ren

Marv's Photo Marv 25 Nov 2011

Why would you want to put a standard crossmember in it? The amount of work that'll take it NOWHERE NEAR as cheap as getting a set of stock Lib RX headers and fitting them. You don't need aftermarket headers - it gives you nothing except a bit of noise.

As for suspension - what is your budget? I'd be worried if my car was sagging on one side...

Morgan's Photo Morgan 25 Nov 2011

Keep your eyes out for some Bilsteins. The Gen2's had a 'Bilstein Edition' which had the upgraded suspension and while I never did it in mine, I believe it's a decent upgrade while being easy on your back pocket

@Marv, I havent been able to find any standard RX headers. I cant source things locally (tiny town that doesn't even have a wrecker) and im having trouble finding anything for RX anywhere online. I barely know what the crossmember is, i just know its in the way.

Well i got a quote for some coilovers for $1040, but i wont have that for a couple of months. I dont drive the car to regularly as it is as im still on my L's, but i would like to have it going well for when i get my P's in the next month or so. I'm wondering whats best for my back pocket and the car.

@Morgan, I have read about those Bilsteins and seen a couple around, but they are all used and i would like new gear so i dont have to worry about it for a couple of years.

Whenever i check a site for suspension parts they only have them for the wagon... (well the parts i want anyway)

Cheers

Adam's Photo Adam 25 Nov 2011

Had Bilstiens and STI struts, prefer billies not as harsh. And I run king springs.

Second-hand Bilsteins will need a rebuild, which is easy to do while they're out of the car.

As for headers, put up a WTB thread for headers on RS Liberty Club. Someone there should have some 2.5 headers that'll go on your car. Your car should take the same headers as any other Gen2 2.5 non-turbo... maybe even Gen3 2.5 non-turbo?

What's a rebuild cost Marv? (roughly) cbf calling heasemans

I believe it's anywhere for $100/corner to $200/corner, or up to $300/corner depending on what you get done.

So it could potentially be cheaper to buy something like BC coil overs?

Coilovers are looking like the easiest option at the moment. I dont mind spending the money on good gear.

Ride height i the main thing im worried about, Dont want to be scraping everything as i drive down the street.

Just so you guys understand why i dont want to lower the car. The main street in this town has pot holes EVERYWHERE, They got filled in two months aggo, now they are pot bumps. Driving up the driveway to the servo, my front bumper scrapes (EVEN GOING IN SIDEWAYS). Theres a reason everyone drives a Land Cruiser.

A stock suzuki swift scrapes its way into the super market. There is no way around the bumper damage in this town.

The dirt roads out to property's are better maintained then the bitumen on the main street.

alexGT's Photo alexGT 25 Nov 2011

if you have a lot of potholes / bumpy roads coil overs are not your answer.

Figured it wouldn't be that easy.

Could i get away with just new springs?

aekOne's Photo aekOne 25 Nov 2011

Getting headers modified is much easier than changing the crossmember. It’ll be a piece of piss to get an exhaust shop to mod the ones as discussed in the last thread you made about the subject. I’m getting deja-vu…

If you get coilovers I’d expect a VERY harsh ride on the country roads where you live. The coilovers I have in my liberty move my rear vision mirror and my etag falls off every time I go over the smallest bump so if the roads are as bad as you say they are then I’d highly recommend against them. I have coilovers in my Foz as well and while they are a bit softer than the ones in my liberty, whenever I go over a speed hump or pot hole it feels like something is falling off my car, it doesn’t feel good. Get some KYB’s and pedders springs, comfortable and a little lower if you go the sports springs.

edit: it's most likely your struts that are farked, not your springs

I talked to the exhaust place, They didnt want to do it. Neither did the engineering mob.

So back to shocks and springs. Pedders have what i need, But they are 150klms away.

aekOne's Photo aekOne 25 Nov 2011

hmm yeah that's a pain if no one in town is interested in helping out...

do pedders do mail order?

might be worth going for a drive to Townsville and doing the exhaust and suspension all at the same time??

Yeah, Will have to wait till my scanner/diagnostic tool shows up so i can see if it can tell how much fuel is in my tank or not, if not then im up for a new cluster.

Also waiting on my P's. Shouldn't be to long now :/

Here's a hint, fill up using Kms as a guide, e.g

Car uses 10l/100km so fill up at 600km or earlier.

Obviously you need to work out the interval based on your car. But thats what i have done since driving.

Previous owner said he was getting 400klms till low fuel light. (all town driving)

See what happens for me.