←  Suspension / Drivetrain / Rims

Suby Club

»

Coilover setup

Tim.'s Photo Tim. 01 Feb 2012

Hi Everyone.

I'm looking at installing some Tein Flex coilovers today and was wondering if anyone's got some setup notes/measurements of their struts when installing them,

Looking to lower the car maybe 50mm Front 40mm Rear for now - so i'm just after a starting point to save some time when installing.

Otherwise, i'll work it out and post it up here as this sort of info is hard to find on the forum here.

Cheers,
Tim.

Adam's Photo Adam 01 Feb 2012

Hey man,

When I did mine I measured the old strut, from the top face of the top hat, to the lower hole as a starting point.

This will be too high, but then you can go from there.

Measure this while it's in the car still, yeah? - otherwise you'd be measuring the unloaded strut height. And with differing spring rates between the billies and teins they would ultimately settle to different strut heights once loaded.

Its near impossible to do it in the car, I just did it when out. Put the car back down. Checked heights from centre of wheel to top of arch, then lowered from there. There might be a better way, but this is just how i did it, worked out ok!

I'd say it would be hard to give a measurement from other setups, because of different springs and things too.

Depends how adventurous you want to be I guess!

Cool, thanks for the hints. Should get me going anyways.

(ps. has dungeon cat been replaced yet? :D)

No worries!

Haha nah she hasn't, Mrs already has a cat, so in a way it's a replacement haha.

LOLCATS's Photo LOLCATS 03 Feb 2012

wind height up about 20-30 turns front and back then watch the bitches flock ;)

Alex's Photo Alex 03 Feb 2012

wind height up about 20-30 turns front and back then watch the bitches flock ;)

Was that before or after pumping Skrillex through your home speakers that had been wired up by homeless amputee war veterans armed with a stapler and a blow torch?

dja's Photo dja 03 Feb 2012

Word of advice, lower the car front and back the same, lowering the front more is silly for many reasons.
Handling dynamic will be off, much more chance of tyres scrubbing on turning, and it look stupid, etc etc.

When you get your coilovers wind the collars on fully, wind the springs up till they just grab, then about 3 more full rotations to secure them.
lower the car, see where it sits, and adjust evenly from there.

Coilover initial installs always take time, but do it once, dop it right, and you wont look back.

Dan...

Tim.'s Photo Tim. 29 Feb 2012

Ok, so an update with photos. Got it pretty right the first time ...although i might nudge it up another 5mm so driving on adelaide roads doesn't feel like offroading:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image