←  Engine / Driveline

Suby Club

»

Gen1 AWD whining/shuddering. Help?

recycle-art's Photo recycle-art 26 Feb 2012

So I recently started noticing a few issues with my car. It seems to be making a very light whining noise when the clutch isn't engaged, but goes away when the clutch pedal is pushed in. Also noticed that on hard acceleration the car seems a bit too .. jerky? Like the car feels like its jumping or some sort.

On almost on every gear change I feel the gear clunk. Makes the whole car jerk..

At first I thought it was just me not being used to a manual 4wd, but it still seems to exist.

I checked the gearbox oil level, and it was way past the full mark.

Any sort of help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Xon's Photo Xon 26 Feb 2012

Sounds like your clutch and/or throwout bearing is probably at the end of it's life.

recycle-art's Photo recycle-art 27 Feb 2012

Did some more research on the problem, currently short-listed to either the throw out bearing or the input shaft bearing for the whining.

Still not completely sure why the car "jumps" on hard acceleration.

Thanks mate

acres's Photo acres 27 Feb 2012

Still not completely sure why the car "jumps" on hard acceleration.

Clutch is probably slipping.

Xon's Photo Xon 27 Feb 2012

Re the whine, does it only whine specifically when you put the clutch in? If so, it's the throwout bearing.

As for the "jump"ing - watch the revs and speedo carefully as it happens. If the revs rise while the speed remains the same, the clutch is slipping due to either a worn or glazed clutch disc or a worn pressure plate.

Generally you'd replace all 3 at the same time anyway, so it really makes no difference which is which ;)

Jordan's Photo Jordan 27 Feb 2012

Is it just mis-firing maybe?

I thought i had the same problem but it was just mis-firing, would explain the jerkiness under load.

DOUBLE POST.

Xon's Photo Xon 27 Feb 2012

Might make sense on it's own Jordan, but these two combined suggest clutch is dying.

Also noticed that on hard acceleration the car seems a bit too .. jerky? Like the car feels like its jumping or some sort.
On almost on every gear change I feel the gear clunk. Makes the whole car jerk..

Well i had the same problem, and described it similarly too.

I posted it up here, and it ended up being coil packs and leads.

http://www.rsliberty...blem&highlight=

recycle-art's Photo recycle-art 29 Feb 2012

Read through you thread Jordan, VERY similar to what you've been experiencing. Will be getting it checked out by my mechanic soon.
So you got your coil packs and ignition leads replaced?

Xon's Photo Xon 29 Feb 2012

As for the "jump"ing - watch the revs and speedo carefully as it happens. If the revs rise while the speed remains the same, the clutch is slipping due to either a worn or glazed clutch disc or a worn pressure plate.

Did you do this yet? Very easy and free way to tell you 100% whether the clutch is slipping or it's something else.

recycle-art's Photo recycle-art 01 Mar 2012

Did you do this yet? Very easy and free way to tell you 100% whether the clutch is slipping or it's something else.

No mate, revs remain the same. I know the clutch isn't slipping for sure.