←  Suspension / Drivetrain / Rims

Suby Club

»

Advice for Buldge in Tyre Wall

Judgeme's Photo Judgeme 19 Mar 2012

Hi guys, I wasn't too sure what topic to post this in but i thought this would be my best bet.

need some advice asap.

So on Thursday I was changing lanes when all of a sudden my car dropped about 10cm into a large pot hole that was impossible to see. After that I kept keeling a bump every time front tyre rotated (especially at lower speeds) so I inspected my tyre and I didn’t see anything. When I had a look again today I notice a Bludge in the side wall. I have done some research and from what I have read I should change it straight away even though I have already done >200kms.

So basically how serious is this situation in your guys opinion. Should I change the tyre when I leave work and hold off for a bit, also if I have to change the tyre now (cuz it’s an all-wheel drive car) will I have to change both front and rear tyres or just both fronts.

I got my tyres with my rims brand new just over a year ago and I have done approx. 30,000 k’s

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

aekOne's Photo aekOne 19 Mar 2012

Mate I’m no expert in tyres but I’d say change it ASAP. I had this happen to me on a tyre once and I went straight to the closest tyre shop where the guy there told me that he was surprised how far I’d driven on it in the state it was in. He reckoned that once the sidewall had failed like that then it was ready to blow out at any moment on its own let alone if I’d hit something on the road or a pot hole. Don’t risk it, get it changed AS SOON AS YOU CAN!

Mate I’m no expert in tyres but I’d say change it ASAP. I had this happen to me on a tyre once and I went straight to the closest tyre shop where the guy there told me that he was surprised how far I’d driven on it in the state it was in. He reckoned that once the sidewall had failed like that then it was ready to blow out at any moment on its own let alone if I’d hit something on the road or a pot hole. Don’t risk it, get it changed AS SOON AS YOU CAN!

Thanks for the advise, now for my second question will have to get both front tyres changed??? just the one or all 4??

Ben_20EJT's Photo Ben_20EJT 19 Mar 2012

Thanks for the advise, now for my second question will have to get both front tyres changed??? just the one or all 4??

you should be able to get away with 2 fronts of the same brand and style but i may be wrong

yeah i was thinking of just changing the front two as the rear tyres have much more camber then the front so i am assuming they would ride different eitherway.

Morgan's Photo Morgan 19 Mar 2012

I don't think you'd need to change both? We've had a few blowouts on mums AWD car and always changed the single tyre with no problems.

Tyre shops are obviously trying to make a dollar where they can so will probably advise you to do both.

B4TT's Photo B4TT 19 Mar 2012

^^ As Morgan said :D

Get the same tread pattern though, especially if it is going on the front.

Morgan's Photo Morgan 19 Mar 2012

Oh yeah - definitely go with an identical tyre :)

Ren-dog's Photo Ren-dog 19 Mar 2012

Well the wheels arent locked so i would think you can run new on left old on right, etc.

Go to 2:20 to see wheels spinning independently.

alexGT's Photo alexGT 19 Mar 2012

as others said, change it asap blowout waiting to happen.

TSG's Photo TSG 19 Mar 2012

Yeah change them, I had the same thing happen to me. It looks worse in the inside of the tyre than the outside trust me lol.

I changed all 4 to be on the safe side (had the money at the time). You can go both front, both rear with the same size tyre, the main stress on the system is usually put on when you have 2 uneven diameter wheels on the front or rear.

Judgeme's Photo Judgeme 20 Mar 2012

thanks for the advice, i ended up changing them after work. As the tyres had done excess of 30,000kms i decided for peace of mind to change both my fronts, as they didn’t have the same tyres as mine and I had to drive from Campbelltown back to Sutherland across the M5 so I decided not to risk it. Not to mention my stock alloys where 16’s and I currently have 19’s on my car and its prob a 15” space saver in my trunk so I didn’t want to risk anything.

Morgan's Photo Morgan 20 Mar 2012

Good stuff, mate!

Haha those damn space savers!

Ren-dog's Photo Ren-dog 20 Mar 2012

I have a real sized spare, Gen2 FTW.

Good to hear you sorted it out :)

Judgeme's Photo Judgeme 20 Mar 2012

ahha thanks guys....$350 later and all good hahah

Ren-dog's Photo Ren-dog 20 Mar 2012

Who did you kill for that much money?

Morgan's Photo Morgan 20 Mar 2012

Who did you kill for that much money?

...I think you need to work on your money management

Xon's Photo Xon 20 Mar 2012

$350 for 2 tyres seems pretty cheap to me.

br wags's Photo br wags 21 Mar 2012

late post i know but just to add to this, a bubble on the side wall of a tyre means you have broken the steel belts(jointless band construction) between the two layers of rubber.These belts help control sidewall flex/steering response/lateral movement.super heated air is forced between the carcass and outer wall forming a thin rubber area(just like a ballon which becomes thinner as it inflat's) and more often than not futher into the casing of the tyres causing a seperation of the tyre(.some thing you cant see until you strip the tyre from the rim)
so in other words a ticking time bom, a blow out ready to happen. hope this helps those who didnt understand this before!