Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:13 AM

From http://www.drive.com...D...=58240&vf=2

Posted Image

The hottest version of the next-generation Mazda3 has been spied testing at the Nurburgring.

Our secret photos reveal the new Mazda3 MPS will imitate Subaru's iconic WRX with a bonnet scoop and larger rear wing when it reaches local showrooms in the second half of 2009.

The bonnet scoop contributes to the new 3 MPS's more aggressive styling that responds to criticism that the original looked too subtle for a car boasting 190kW – still a class-leading power output until the updated WRX launches locally in December 2008.

The ultimate Mazda3's new bonnet scoop, however, has also been introduced because the new-generation model's new, lower grille – seen in official pictures of the Mazda3 sedan – is not large or high enough to feed sufficient air to the MPS's top-mounted intercooler.

That intercooler sits atop a carried-over version of the current 3 MPS's 2.3-litre turbocharged direct-injection four-cylinder – though, as our spy pictures reveal, exhaust gases will exit via two single pipes this time rather than one.

Power and torque (380Nm) figures will remain barely unchanged, though fuel consumption (currently 10.0L/km) will be improved.

Mazda engineers have instead focused on making the new 3 MPS quicker in the real world – as well as making it a more sophisticated all-rounder.

A Mazda insider told Drive that the 3 MPS has been benchmarked against the Golf GTI in an effort to mimic the VW hot-hatch's near-perfect balance of supple ride and sharp handling.

"We've aimed to make the new Mazda3 MPS a more polished all-rounder rather than a hardcore hot-hatch," says our Mazda source.

This also means addressing another criticism of the outgoing model: the torque steer (tugging of the steering wheel under acceleration) that's a consequence of so much power going through the front wheels.

Mazda has worked on improving how the 3 MPS gets its power to the ground by finessing the 3 MPS's electronic limited-slip differential, as well as the torque-control measures used for first and second gears during take-off and cornering.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Inside word also has it that the new Mazda3 MPS is faster around the fabled Nurburgring than the outgoing model, which has already proved to be no slouch by lapping the 21km track in 8 minutes, 39 seconds.

There's European speculation that Mazda will add a new, diesel-powered MPS in the near future - powered by the new 2.2-litre turbo diesel that debuts locally in the Mazda6 mid-size sedan this December.

The diesel engine is good for 136kW and 400Nm, the latter, torque figure certainly worthy of a hot-hatch. It would allow Mazda to join the growing band of car makers such as Renault and Skoda to introduce diesel hot-hatches. Subaru is also working on a diesel WRX.

The Mazda3 hot-hatch will be the first MPS to make it into second-generation form after the first Mazda to wear the three-letter performance moniker – the all-wheel-drive Mazda6 MPS – was discontinued due to lack of global demand.

The new Mazda3 sedan makes its public debut at the 2008 Los Angeles motor show on 19 November, with the hatch following on 3 December at the Bologna motor show in Italy.

The new Mazda3 models reach Australia in mid-2009.

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

It looks alright I guess, ive never really been a fan of the Mazda's though... Its still FWD though...meh

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

Looks 11ty times better then the wrx hatch. If only it was AWD.........

OEM+

#4 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

Forget about that being a threat to the WRX... The Ralliart Lancer will be the biggest threat, especially now it is available in "Sportsback" hawtness.

#5 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

mmm diesel engine is good for 136kW and 400Nm...i want one

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#6 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

i doubt it be a threat...considering the Mazda 6 MPS isnt a threat to the liberty....Mazda is okay but not really as good as subaru built wise...its gotten better over the years but i still prefere the boxer....Mazdas are more of a middle age men's car who want some power but cant ge fast into corner due to bad backs....sorry no disrispect to the older guys on here...just my 2 cents

#7 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:04 PM

I've driven a new(ish) Mazda 3 and it just feels SOOOO plastic'y and cheap. I really wasn't impressed with how it looked or drove. What's the interior of the new impreza/rexxy like? Is it as plasticy feeling as the older new impreza?

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#8 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:15 PM

I've driven a new(ish) Mazda 3 and it just feels SOOOO plastic'y and cheap. I really wasn't impressed with how it looked or drove.

What's the interior of the new impreza/rexxy like? Is it as plasticy feeling as the older new impreza?

yeah its on the cheapish side, the dash of the wrx rexy.....but the seats are pretty good....yeah i drove a sp23 and not over the moon on it, same as the cx-7 my mate has one and its not that crash hot either...$50 grand of car and it feels cheap....same as the mazda 6 cheap feal and to expensive when something stuffs up. ;)

#9 d_generate

d_generate

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:49 AM

They have to reduce boost in 1st & 2nd because of torque steer.............PFFFFFFFFFFT
98 Liberty, V3 STI running gear, CAI & 3" TBE, pulled a 13.09 @ 104mph

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=TKrsF-2JS3M
In the dunes^^^^^^^^^^

Posted Image

#10 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

i doubt it be a threat...considering the Mazda 6 MPS isnt a threat to the liberty....Mazda is okay but not really as good as subaru built wise...its gotten better over the years but i still prefere the boxer....Mazdas are more of a middle age men's car who want some power but cant ge fast into corner due to bad backs....sorry no disrispect to the older guys on here...just my 2 cents

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA nice one brother.

#11 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

They have to reduce boost in 1st & 2nd because of torque steer.............PFFFFFFFFFFT

Shows how much confidence Mazda has in the people buying them eh?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#12 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:31 AM

LOL xon. fwd ftl :( i personally like the whole masking tape and stuff they put over the front of the car to disguise its unfinished ness
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#13 tangcla

tangcla

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

My GT-Four had to do that. A bar of boost in first gear even in an AWD was able to cause wheelspin to some degree.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon EOS 5D Mark | Canon 1D Mark III
16-35mm f/2.8L |24-70mm f/2.8L
85mm f/1.2L | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 580EX-II | 430EX-II x2 | PocketWizard TT1/TT5

#14 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Nuff said.

Mitsubishi Ralliart - 1
Subaru WRX - 0

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

i prefer the sedan lancers.
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#16 Guest_Alex_*

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:47 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here. I rate the current Mazda 3. They're built well, they handle well, and they go reasonably well. I've driven my friend's SP23, and its a great drive! Leather interior is nice, BOSE stereo (no need for fake badges like over on the other forums...) and its truly a good car. For what it is. Its not a race car. Its a lively passenger car. Remember lads. Let's compare apples with apples aye?

#17 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA nice one brother.

its the truth :P

#18 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:39 PM

Its not a race car. Its a lively passenger car.

Remember lads. Let's compare apples with apples aye?

Fair point, but the MPS is not the SP23. The MPS is obviously aimed at hot hatches, so its naturally going to be compared to other hot hatches on the market.
Although it would probably be fairer to compare it with the Golf GTi and the likes more than the WRX, the WRX is still a hot hatch these days!

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#19 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:26 PM

Another observation would be that Ford's XR5 has not competed with the WRX even though it's a four door, turbo charged hatch/small car and been out for a fair while. I see the Mazda hitting against the XR5 and the like. WRX will always have competition from Japan, the STi will always be stacked against the EVO. But Mazda are....meh. Real pedestrian style cars, not much rac-ey-ness, no prominent tuner like Nismo, STi, TRD, Ralliart. 40yr old businessmen buy Mazda's cos' they're small, sporty, fit all the family in and the boss approves to add it to the fleet or salary sacrifice it. WRX's and EVO's are pure boy's toys pleasure. Plus they all talk about the Liberty being stacked against the 6.....pfft....the Liberty is more competing with the Euro sedans. The 6 is against the Aurion, Camry, Maxima. Try and see how much Auto Sales industry experience some of these journo's have (not a slate on them). Nick PS: And by the way Odeo, I agree with Junkie, the new Impreza interior is a bit dissapointing, it's good but just doesn't have that comfy feel that the MY00-MY06 did. But could be a whole lot cheaper, enter the Korean Car Market.

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#20 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

Another observation would be that Ford's XR5 has not competed with the WRX even though it's a four door, turbo charged hatch/small car and been out for a fair while.

I see the Mazda hitting against the XR5 and the like. WRX will always have competition from Japan, the STi will always be stacked against the EVO. But Mazda are....meh. Real pedestrian style cars, not much rac-ey-ness, no prominent tuner like Nismo, STi, TRD, Ralliart. 40yr old businessmen buy Mazda's cos' they're small, sporty, fit all the family in and the boss approves to add it to the fleet or salary sacrifice it. WRX's and EVO's are pure boy's toys pleasure.

Plus they all talk about the Liberty being stacked against the 6.....pfft....the Liberty is more competing with the Euro sedans. The 6 is against the Aurion, Camry, Maxima. Try and see how much Auto Sales industry experience some of these journo's have (not a slate on them).

Nick

PS: And by the way Odeo, I agree with Junkie, the new Impreza interior is a bit dissapointing, it's good but just doesn't have that comfy feel that the MY00-MY06 did. But could be a whole lot cheaper, enter the Korean Car Market.

Focus Xr5 wont even compeate with the mazda. coz all know Fords are shit espesh that pomy crap Xr5 :P just my thought

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users