#1 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hi Everyone,

It's time to replace my headlight globes and parker lights.
The parker lights are a filthy halogen colour and it's quite unattractive.

I know there is a couple of solutions. (inc. HID kits)
However, what do you think is the best?

What type of globes are required? Would you rate any brand highly?

Thanks.

Posted Image

#2 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Chuck some HID's in there. I recommend and have been using MarsPerformance HID's for many years now in different cars and have never had any issues with them. There are some other significantly cheaper (half price) HID globes out there which are well worth looking at.

Get some LED globes for your parkers. Make sure you order white, not blue, because blue is an easy way to get a defect.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#3 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

I am not one for HIDs unless the headlamp assembly is designed for it.
You would be better off IMO with a good set of plus50 or plus80 standard type globes.

If you are after a certain 'look' from your headlights that only a HID can give then go for it.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#4 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

You would be better off IMO with a good set of plus50 or plus80 standard type globes.

If you are after a certain 'look' from your headlights that only a HID can give then go for it.

This.

There are very few things worse on this planet, among the reformation of back street boys along with new kids on the block, being kicked in the loins with a pair of steel capped boots, and forcibly inserting a rusty chainsaw into your anus at 15,000rpm whilst alight, than a car that has HIDs installed into headlights that are not capable of handling it.

Give up the idea. It'll assist your fellow motorists with seeing at night by not being blinded by light being reflected in all sorts of retarded angles, and it'll prevent you from getting a defect notice.

However, since you do drive a Gen 3, why not buy a set of JDM headlights that already have HIDs built into them from the factory?

They'll work well, reflect light properly, and look neat too.

#5 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Been passed by a few gen3s with HIDs in them lately, and all of them pissed me right off. I'm sure the light output for the drivers great, but for the sake of your fellow motorists, please don't.

If you want HIDs, grab a pair of GTB headlight assemblies that were designed for HIDs. Or retrofit some HID projectors :D

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#6 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

This +1

This.

There are very few things worse on this planet, among the reformation of back street boys along with new kids on the block, being kicked in the loins with a pair of steel capped boots, and forcibly inserting a rusty chainsaw into your anus at 15,000rpm whilst alight, than a car that has HIDs installed into headlights that are not capable of handling it.

Give up the idea. It'll assist your fellow motorists with seeing at night by not being blinded by light being reflected in all sorts of retarded angles, and it'll prevent you from getting a defect notice.

However, since you do drive a Gen 3, why not buy a set of JDM headlights that already have HIDs built into them from the factory?

They'll work well, reflect light properly, and look neat too.

This +1

Been passed by a few gen3s with HIDs in them lately, and all of them pissed me right off. I'm sure the light output for the drivers great, but for the sake of your fellow motorists, please don't.

If you want HIDs, grab a pair of GTB headlight assemblies that were designed for HIDs. Or retrofit some HID projectors :D

I had a set from legacy_rsk, best dang headlight I've ever had. If you put HID's in halogen a headlight assembly, I will personally punch you in the baby making parts

Stuff goes here

#7 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

+1 for hating on hids in normal housings!

Leave that for the commodore/falcon faggots.

Posted Image

#8 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

and Lancers (the CJ Lancer guys are always doing HIDs)

if i was going HIDs i would only put them in High Beams and just get a higher/better globe for low beams

#9 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

You can get projector housing for the lancers though!

Ricey, but better than a reflector housing :P

Posted Image

#10 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

never said they do it properly, gotta remember, they are Lancer guys :P

but back on topic

ive been looking at the HID headlights, and to look at i cant see the difference

#11 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Hahaha

The difference is in the way the reflectors angle the light I think!

Posted Image

#12 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

HID's are really only meant for projectors (and very few reflectors).

In saying that though, I bought my 3gen Lib with HID's from the previous owner.. They are fantastic. Really good on the road and looked impressive as they werent 1000000000000000000k and didn't resonate a honda.
Didn't have any complaints from anyone else either as I think they were adjusted properly so they didn't blind people.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#13 bd-850

bd-850

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

who ever owned my car before had HIDs, but put the normal globes back in, he must of adjusted the lights down, coz when i got it and tried to drive at night, the lights would only light about 5m infront of me

#14 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Although the thread turned into a I HATE HID's.

None the less, I did find a suitable although not quite legal solution.
The photo below doesn't do justice to the headlights - I've left the fog lights on for some sort of colour reference.
Phillips Crystal Vision Headlights & Parkers - $130 Autobarn

While I was there, I also stuck the same 4300K in the rear number plate lights to replace the old halogen globes.

Before anyone comments on the car being in a carwash in the rain.. there had been storms over the past few days and there was lots of debris over my car from trees and what not..
The car was in need of a bit of a high pressure wash.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

None the less, I did find a suitable although not quite legal solution.

Crystal vision is illegal?? i have the same globes in mine and they are fantastic. HID's won't make a significant enough improvement to be worth the $$$ more you pay.
i got LED's in my parkers though...
Posted Image
they still seem to blind old people. i feel bad sometimes

#16 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Crystal vision is illegal?? i have the same globes in mine and they are fantastic. HID's won't make a significant enough improvement to be worth the $$$ more you pay.
i got LED's in my parkers though...
http://www.flickr.co...tream/lightbox/

they still seem to blind old people. i feel bad sometimes

Yeah, the phillips crystal and diamond visions are illegal :(
I didn't wanna push it to far and go diamond because they are probably more noticeable :/

Nice photo!
Your headlights seem to be more blue than mine..
Like that you've left your standard fogs in too!

Posted Image

#17 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

They're good bulbs. But yes, technically illegal. The best legal bulbs you can get are Philips X-Treme Power +80 globes because the bulbs are clear in colour, not blue. I had them on my Liberty and they were great!

Regarding the topic of HIDs - Rev D & E Gen3's such as WALKER's are designed for use with HID bulbs. If they scatter light around like crazy, its because the owner has unnecessarily purchased 55w bulbs instead of the normal (and perfectly adequate) 35w bulbs.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#18 jack_keaka

jack_keaka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:I was saying "boo-urns"

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, the phillips crystal and diamond visions are illegal :(

whaaaaaat??
oh well if i get pulled up i can say i didn't know.

they aren't the standard fogs. they are JDM yellow. the photo doesn't do it justice but if you put it up against standard warm white ones they are as yellow as the sun.

also my number plate LED's are very blue and i don't like it. when i bought them i hadn't realised how blue they are...
Posted Image

#19 ScoobyOutback

ScoobyOutback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Cars, especially Subaru's. Bit of golf, surfing and Top Gear.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:33 PM

I recently decided to bight the bullet and install some HID's in my gen3 OBK.

I bought 55W 6000k H7's and they are brilliant.

I have not had one single person flash there lights at me and when ive followed friends in my car they said they where easy to notice but not "blinding" to look at in the mirror.

I also made sure when i installed them that they where perfectly level as well.

I think what also helps is the fact that I have eyelids on the headlights which stop a lot of the light scatter.
Posted Image

#20 WALKER

WALKER

SAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

They're good bulbs. But yes, technically illegal. The best legal bulbs you can get are Philips X-Treme Power +80 globes because the bulbs are clear in colour, not blue. I had them on my Liberty and they were great!

Regarding the topic of HIDs - Rev D & E Gen3's such as WALKER's are designed for use with HID bulbs. If they scatter light around like crazy, its because the owner has unnecessarily purchased 55w bulbs instead of the normal (and perfectly adequate) 35w bulbs.

Yeah, I saw the X-Treme Power but wasn't the look i was after..
Though, the salesman highly recommended them for brightness.

Not sure what you mean about 'scatter light' hopefully everything is alright? :o

whaaaaaat??
oh well if i get pulled up i can say i didn't know.

they aren't the standard fogs. they are JDM yellow. the photo doesn't do it justice but if you put it up against standard warm white ones they are as yellow as the sun.

also my number plate LED's are very blue and i don't like it. when i bought them i hadn't realised how blue they are...
Posted Image

Ah, well the fogs still look great!
I believe the fogs need to be that light temperature to effectively work in climate conditions.

Haha ignorance is no excuse with the law!
I guess if we just don't draw unnecessary attention to ourselves it'll be ok!

As mentioned above I bought matching Phillips (T10 i think?) 4300K globes for $10 from autobarn for the number plate lights.
Nothing overly special.. Not super bright just a nicer colour.. LED's might have been a better choice.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users